“The Red Lantern Tour... An Interesting Experience”

The Original Singapore Walks
Ranked #5 of 129 Tours in Singapore
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The walks work on a simple principle: to bring people into places most other tours don't. Graveyards, smoke houses, wet markets, gun batteries, the city’s best-kept secret places. You name it, we have it. Since 2003, the Walks led by an eclectic bunch of researcher-guides have taken locals and travellers alike off the beaten track, and entertained with an endless store of anecdotes that reveal the true heart of the city. Pre-booking not necessary!
Atlanta, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“The Red Lantern Tour... An Interesting Experience”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was a bit wary to go on the Red Lantern Tour after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. A lot of people mentioned that they didn't 'feel safe' once they got to Geylang. However, I totally disagree. I LOVED this walking tour... definitely one of the highlights of my trip to Singapore.

Our guide was wonderful and knowledgeable about the area and pointed out all kinds of things I never would have noticed in China Town. After walking around China Town, we took a bus to Geylang, with our guide pointing out details and telling us information along the way. Once in Geylang (which was nowhere near China Town), we had turtle soup and crocodile at a local restaurant. I would NEVER try something like this, but my husband loved it... and I think he was a little proud that he was able to eat turtle soup and crocodile during the trip.

True, Geylang was sketchy... we did see some 'ladies of the night' lining up in the alley and tried our hardest not to stare. And there was some gambling going on. But I wouldn't say I ever felt unsafe. And it was interesting to see all the houses with red lanterns in the front... we couldn't see what was going on inside.

I would definitely recommend this tour... and this walks company in general. I only wish we would have had time to do some of the other walks too. And I wish we would have had time to do some quick shopping or get a quick bite during the tour since I was starving by the time it was over!! Thankfully, the Maxwell Food Center was close by. Unfortunately, by the time we got there, most of the stalls had closed, and there was nothing I really wanted to eat.

1 Thank ps12

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
167 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 187 helpful votes
“Interesting and informative guide”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I took the Tuesday "red clogs down the five foot way" tour. The guide kept us entertained and I learnt a lot, not just about Singapore, but also about Chinese culture - an added bonus! We got to visit numerous sites around Chinatown which most tourists probably wouldn't normally get to see. I found the guide a little hard to hear at times, although this is probably more to do with the noisy Singapore traffic, rather than a problem with the guide. I would gladly take another tour with this company.

Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waste of money”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have done lots of walking tours throughout Asia and Europe and thought this was the worst. My tour was on Friday night with Hemlata. Very nice person and small group but did not really provide me with much information that I could not have got from my tourist book, thought it was a total waste of money, look elsewhere.

1 Thank GDG389
Adelaide, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Excellent lesson of history”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have done 3 walks in October: Little India and Colonial District with Helena and Changi War Museum with Carol. All trips were very well guided and gave us a good lesson of history. Creation of Singapore and Indian migration - history before WW2 and fall and occupation of Singapore during WW2. Carol's knowledge of war history is enormous and she explains it very well.
Our stay in Singapore was not long enough to do all walks, so we have to come back.
We would highly recommend this form of getting to know Singapore.
Thank you Helena and Carol. You are doing excellent job.
Barbara and Jerry

Visited October 2013
Alstonville, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“ENTERTAINING AND INFORMATIVE”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I did the Days of Empire with Geraldine and Red Clogs on the 5 Foot Way with Helena, and they were both excellent guides. It is a great way to learn much more of the local history than the usual touristy stuff. Even then there was so much more to know and learn. We did not walk long distances, but concentrated on specifics such as the High Court and Armenian Church. I really enjoy walking tours in new cities, and these are among the best, with such a rich and diverse history and culture.

Visited October 2013