“Location great, hotel just average”

The Residence At Singapore Recreation Club
Ranked #120 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in September.

Hotel is on a busy road on one side and over looking Padang park on the other side. MRT station is just across the road, 2 mins walk. We walked to Marina Bay in 10/15 mins along the riverfront and also to the Battle Box in about 15/20 mins (it wasn't the distance but the heat that was a killer, but this walk was still fine). We also walked to Orchard Street after the Battle Box, so you don't have to use public transport if you'd rather burn some calories instead!

Initial impression was that it didn't look as grand as it does in the photo's but the main entrance area was still nice. We were given a free upgrade to a deluxe room overlooking Padang park. The room itself again wasn't as grand as it looked in the hotel photo's but it was still a good room. Room 310 Cannaught Room was slightly larger than the other rooms. It wasn't a large room and the shower room was relatively small (though the actual shower area was quite big in comparison), but in all it's big enough for 2 people to share. There was a large tv, tea/coffee, fridge, double & single bed and enough room for all your luggage. We also had access to a large shared balcony. Overall, we were happy with this room.

I did see other rooms and they were smaller, with only enough room for one double bed so we were really glad we got upgraded.

There was no free internet.

Breakfast was pretty poor and the pool side restaurant was really old fashioned (very 80's), it looked more like a caffeteria. I tried the cooked breakfast on the first morning and left most of it; it was pretty aweful so we just stuck to toast and cereal. I found it pretty weird and totally unprofessional when I saw staff members helping themselves to the breakfast too (the manager and the chef). The staff were ok, one girl wasn't very friendly at all and hardly spoke a word on English (English is spoken widely there so for hotel staff I thought it wasn't very professional), but there was one girl that was very friendly.

The hotel itself is quite basic, there is nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't rate this hotel so highly as others. The full use of the health club facilities was definitely a bonus and we used the gym, pool & sauna every day.

I chose this hotel because of other TA reviews, because of it's location to Clark Quay and it was within my budget (Singapore hotels are generally a budget blower for me). It's a shame you can't pay less and opt out of the breakfast. The location is a huge plus side for this hotel. I didn't dislike the hotel (apart from the food!) but I won't rave about it either.

All in all, we were still pleased with our choice but just wouldn't rush back.

Room Tip: Ask to be overlooking Padang park.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HelenMelonBoBellen

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Great little place right in the centre of everything. Across the road from City Hall MRT and Raffles shopping centre. Walking distance to most attractions (Raffles, river, marina, museums.etc) We stayed here for 3 days and it was ideal for what we wanted plus it was one of the more reasonable accomodation options in town.

The Residence is a half hour MRT ride from the airport and under 5 min walk from the MRT station so super handy if you dont want to pay for airport taxis. The information desk at the airport told us it would be a 15 min walk from the MRT - do not believe them!!

We had a room overlooking the Padang which was plenty big enough for us. The staff were exceptionally helpful and made the effort to "find out" if they didnt know the answer to our questions. The club bar was incredibly cheap compared to many other bars around and gave us a chance to chat to the locals. The hotel gave us a late checkout, held our bags for the afternoon and even let us use the shower/change facilities before we left. Generally excellent.

The only drawback is the dark and dated decor - the place needs a bit of a re-fresh. We also found the breakfasts were a bit average and the poolside cafe they are servied in felt a bit tired and grubby. That said, the breakfast is included in the rate and you can get fresh fruit, yogurt and freshly cooked eggs every day.

All things considered we would deffinately stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sjblond
Reviewed September 7, 2011

This was my second stay at the SRC - and I was again not disappointed. While the building itself and the design of the rooms may not be everybody's top favourite, it's no doubt an excellent choice if you are looking for a (very!) centrally located and affordable (by S'pore standards) place to stay for a few nights. Almost all of what I wrote in my previous review (posted 16th March 2011) still holds true - so I won't repeat myself here.
I'm happy to report that the less-than-optimal quality of the coffee at breakfast has been fixed. Guests can now get decent coffee from a self-service espresso machine.
My only dislike - charging for Internet access - still applies; I just don't think this is the thing to do for a modern hotel nowadays, and as before, it almost deserves a reduction of my rating to 4 stars. I knew that the free wireless@SG service was available in parts of the hotel and requested a room in this area. I was told that this could not be guaranteed, but on arrival I was happy to find that it worked out just nicely. Thanks!
I was surprised that some reviewers complain about the site of the rooms. Mine was a decently-sized room with plenty of space for myself and my laptop (room 318). Certainly not what I would call small!
Oh - and their bedlinen is really comfy and quite luxurious.
Next time I'm in Singapore, I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank sebhoff
Reviewed September 4, 2011

The Residence is perfectly located close to the main attractions and next door to the City Hall MRT & Raffles City shopping centre (good food). The Hotel was nice and quiet, rooms were very nice although small, which meant that it was only a double bed - which was a little too short for my tall husband. As we had a late flight, we were able to use the gym and pool (towel & goggles provided also) in the afternoon, which was great - although be aware that this is not a resort style pool, but a heated, underground sports pool. Great breakfast also.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2011

The Residence at Singapore Recreation Club was recommended by Singaporean acquaintances and we chose it for this reason as well as for the reasonable price. All facilities, room decor and bathroom were what we would call 4 star quality. Being well located - just across from The Fairmont Hotel, Swissotel - Stamford Hotel and Raffles being just across the road. This is a Club and so is very different from traditional Hotels with the rooms and reception being located on the 3rd floor - away from the ground floor club entrance. The Reception staff were extremely helpful and generous with their time. Our room was spacious and it had all facilities (tea coffee making facilities etc with complimentary water). Breakfast was included in our rate. The only negative was that our room faced the road which is a very busy crossroad and on Saturday night it was extremely noisy. If we were to return we would request a room over looking the sports grounds. Otherwise it is excellent value.

Room Tip: If you prefer a quiet room ask that your room NOT overlook the road.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathryn O
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The Hotel was very nice, the staff helpful and the rooms ok (except an utterly obtrusive smell of artifical water melon, which drives you crazy in the beginning, but you get used to it). The location is simply amazing, the hotel is in the very centre (mrt station city hall), next to the raffles, stamford etc. Atm there are unfortunately some construction done, which however is only a transitory nuisance. The breakfast buffet though was rich in choice, but a bit poor in quality , the eggs are good.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Schdero
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The room was small and not set up to accommodate our child when we arrived late. This necessitated us waiting late at night for the fold-up bed to be set up which was not fair on a young child who was exhausted after a flight from Australia. As the room was so tiny, this required furniture to be removed and crammed in every corner. Also, they didn't even bother giving him a sheet to sleep under, just a blanket. Quite frankly, there was no room for an extra bed which The Residence charge a lot of money for.

Other issues:
The fridge did not work which is appalling given the climate;
The safe did not work and had to be fixed;
Air conditioning took ages to work its way through even a small room;
There are steps from the top part of the room to the bed part which is very dangerous, especially after having a drink when you are out! To attempt to solve this problem,there is a light on the steps which doesn't appear to be able to be turned off which is most annoying if you like darkness when you are trying to sleep.
Breakfast buffet was just okay with the Asian food in particular being very disappointing.

The service, throughout, was friendly and efficient, with the location of the hotel being superb.
One tip - taxi drivers do not know this hotel as they don't associate the Singapore Recreation Club as having accommodation. Just tell the drivers to go to Singapore Recreation Club or the SRC as it is known in Singapore.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family