“Very good museum though far out - combine with Kranji Memorial”

Surviving the Japanese Occupation: War and Its Legacies
Ranked #110 of 829 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The museum is packed with a lot of information in a relatively small space and includes the room where the surrender was signed. It is all very well done and interesting, plus the building it is in and the location are both pleasant. There are not that many original artifacts however which is a pity though it is more of an education centre than a museum in that sense.
You can get here cheaply by MRT to Clementi and bus 184 from there though you do need to know what you are doing and it would be quite a long trip. For a tourist with only a day or too I'd recommend just taking a cab out and combining it with a trip to Kranji which is only a few more minutes up the road. In my opinion the two are the best/most moving WW2 related sites in Singapore - both are also outside the hustle and bustle of the city centre and allow you to imagine more easily what things would have looked like back then when Singapore was much greener and less developed.

2  Thank TruePravda

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I also visited the musems at Changi, the Battle Box and Fort Siloso so by the time I went to the old Ford Factory, I had taken in a lot of the war time story of Singapore. Nevertheless, the musem here included more of a focus on the occupation period of Singapore and how life was for residents at the time. It was interesting to see items such as text books and newspapers that the Japanese had introduced.

Of note is, of course, the room where the surrender took place, including videos of discussions and a script of the events.

I took bus 173 from Bukit Batok station. It was relatively straightforward once I let the bus driver know where I wanted to go, but I will admit that it did take some time. Those in a group or with less time might want to consider a taxi (although the buses are cheap, so give it a go if you're the kind who enjoys travelling on local public transport!).

1  Thank Ben S
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I learned a lot from the exhibit about life in Singapore during WWII, under Japanese occupation. The exhibit covers the time from when the British surrendered to life after the Japanese surrendered. Lots of photos and memorabilia, complete with personal accounts, make this a worthwhile visit.

1  Thank Sunketing
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Ever since I had seen the old newsreels as a young enthusiast of WWII history of General Percival signing the surrender of the Allied garrison of Singapore to General Yamashita on the 15th of February 1942, I had wanted to visit the location - the old Ford factory.

I had read a Singapore-published article about a decade ago showing the ruins of the old Ford factory, and was rather disappointed that nothing had been done to preserve the site. So several years later when I finally started travelling, I was very pleased to read that the old Ford factory had been refurbished & was now a military museum.

It's a little bit of a nuisance to get to - I was staying near Outram Park, so I took the MRT to the Butik Batok MRT station, and then took a taxi to the site. However, I suggest anyone doing this should take the exact street address along with them, as the driver seemed to not have heard of the museum before, and he had to jam on the brakes to make the driveway while I was calling it out.

I will point out that it's no Imperial War Museum - that is in it's own class - but to me, I was more fascinated by the fact that I was in the building where the greatest defeat in British military history was presided over. The room itself is a little office that most likely belonged to a manager or supervisor at the time. Although you can't enter the room, it is still fascinating when you reconcile it with that famous exchange between Percival & Yamashita. Unfortunately, the actual table the surrender was signed on is at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, and although I had seen that before (as I lived in Canberra about a decade ago), I felt it probably should belong to Singaporean museum.

There is a number of storyboards of the battle of Malaya & Singapore on the way up the driveway to the factory, which are all interesting, even though I have read several books specifically on the battle. I recall that I picked a day where museum entrance was free (by chance), but there is usually a nominal fee to enter. I bought a book at the bookshop about the occupation of Singapore by the Japanese forces which was quite good, and reasonably well priced.

The remainder of the museum has some relics from the battle & the subsequent occupation, which are all very interesting. Many of the battle relics are ground-dug, including old weaponry & equipment. Much of the museum focuses on the Syonan years (Japanese occupation), and consists of a mixture of information boards with photographs & surviving artefacts from the occupation.

I have been to this exhibit, the Changi chapel & naval gun emplacement, Fort Siloso, and the Battlebox, and I felt that this was probably my favourite. Everyone seems to head to the Changi chapel, but I found this a little disappointing personally, as the original chapel is long gone, and the current one is a recreation, and I thought driving past the gates of Changi Prison to be more interesting (although you can't enter as the prison is still operational). I thoroughly recommend Fort Siloso, although I would make that part of a day spent on the lovely Sentosa Island. I also rated the Battlebox, and next time I go to Singapore, I want to try to locate a number of the surviving pillboxes that are on the island.

9  Thank PietroMorrizio
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Memories At Old Ford Motor Factory is a museum dedicated to the Singapore occupation by invading Japanese forces during World War II. The Memories At Old Ford Motor Factory also doubles as a tribute to those who suffered during the war.

Located on the actual site of the British surrender, the Memories At Old Ford Motor Factory houses a replica of the Surrender Chamber Board Room, which contains re-created tables and chairs.

The Syonan Years Singapore Under Japanese Rule Exhibition takes up the majority of floor space at Memories At Old Ford Motor Factory, and provides insight into daily life in Singapore during the war. It also includes various recovered artifacts, as well as artwork of the period.

The Syonan Garden circles the perimeter of the Memories At Old Ford Motor Factory museum, and features various crops grown for food during the war. It also has a mural, and storyboards. The path is made from old railroad sleeper tracks.

The Memories At Old Ford Motor Factory museum screens various types of World War II related documentaries throughout the day in the AV Theatre. It also has a monthly screening schedule, with special films screened on selected memorable dates.

If you're planning a visit, note that admission costs $3, and allocate between 1 to 2 hours for viewing.