“Disappointing stay at Klapsons.”

klapsons, The Boutique Hotel
Ranked #187 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore
“Disappointing stay at Klapsons.”
Reviewed October 16, 2010

First, just to save your time reading this review, can I just say that if you're thinking of going to a chic 'design' hotel in Singapore you're better off at Quincy Hotel rather than Klapsons?

My partner and I booked a weekend staycation at Klapsons, having previously stayed at Quincy and enjoyed it immensely, we thought it would be exciting to try this relatively new and similarly styled hotel. The website looked promising, and the prices were relatively on par with Quincy ($320 for the cheapest room without meals vs $360 at Quincy with breakfast and dinner).

However we soon found out that we should have just stuck to Quincy. Service was cold and awkward, making me and my partner feel equally awkward and out of place. I had the impression that the reception staff were not very experienced. There were only 3 floors in Klapsons, with 17 rooms in total, and yet my partner and I were showed to the wrong room.

The room itself was clean and tidy. No complaints here. The windows were ceiling high and looked out onto the main road which was always busy because we were in the Central Business District after all. Almost everything was in working order - except that the hair dryer was broken, there was only 1 toothbrush for 2 people, no comb, no showercap, no shaver and no hot water kettle.

For the intrepid ones who are still going to brave out their stay at Klapsons - beware the shower! It takes a long time to get heated up, which means you'll be freezing in the shower cubicle waiting for warm water. The shower for the smaller rooms is also, not very helpfully, stationed in the middle of the bedroom making it quite uncomfortable on cold nights. And once the water is heated its really really hot, plus its really hard to adjust the water temp, so.. well, its really the option of getting scalded or being frozen.

The espresso machine was cute though. However 6 cartridges of espresso + 6 tea bags should = at least 12 sugar packets right? 4 is simply, simply not enough! We did get full complimentary usage of the bar fridge which had some soft drinks, mineral water and beer inside.

Location wise, really, there's not much nearby except office buildings.. Its not even close to any MRT station - unless you are game for a brisk 20 minute walk. We did drive though, which was a plus because we could go to Chinatown which is a 10 minute drive away, or the railway station which is also a 10 minute drive. The hotel provides free overnight parking for in-house guests.

We did not patronise Lucas, the in-house restaurant.

Design-wise, well, I was actually looking forward to being impressed by Klapsons - it being crafted by Sawaya & Moroni and all. However it gives me great sorrow to say that I didn't find myself impressed at all. Nothing met my expectations. Perhaps I should have invested in one of the suites?

Needless to say, my partner and I will not be returning to Klapsons. We shall continue to patronise our now-favourite Quincy Hotel instead.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank frozen_fire19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed September 23, 2010

when you reach the hotel, all u see is that giant silver ball in the lobby that holds the reception desk. it looks modern and fantastic, and my expectations for the hotel went up a notch. i mean, its quite cool.

but thats where everything started to go wrong.

i booked the oasis suite, and had called 2 weeks before to check with their sales coordinator if it would be able to hold a small party of around 15-20 people. no problems she said, it would fit up to 30 people. so imagine my surprise when i reach the hotel to find out that to hold a party i would have to cough up $300 (non-refundable) MISC FEE just to use the room. utterly ridiculous, apparently it is to cover 'damages that the hotel may incurr' wouldnt a deposit suffice i asked, but no. MANAGEMENT RULES was all the duty manager had to say.

after considering it for awhile with my partner, we paid the 300 on which they slapped on an additional 7% GST and went up to the room.

the room is decent, large and quite comfortable. but once you step outside into the patio area where the jacuzzi is, well, lets just say its best to not venture out without shoes. the wooden floor was mouldy, dried leaves were everywhere, and stray hairs covered the bottom of the jacuzzi. obviously the room hadn't been opened since the last visitor left.

my partner and myself spent the better part of an hour TIDYING UP AFTER THE HOTEL.

in the evening, some friends brought wine over, and we searched high and low of the corkscrew, i personally went down once to ask if there was a corkscrew in the room, the receptionist insisted that there was and i went back up, but even after tossing everything out of the minibar, it was obvious that there was not corkscrew, so my friends called room service to ask them to bring up a corkscrew, room service insisted that there was a corkscrew in the room and once again, we tried searching for it. finally, we gave up and just went down to the hotel restaurant to have it opened.

im tired trying to relate everything that happened, so ill just summarize everything. the patio lights were blown, so it was nearly pitch black outside, the breakfast thats included was just some random danish pastries, hard hard hard boiled eggs, toast and some odd tasting cold cuts.

for the price i paid, i could have just topped up around 400 more to get the presidential suite at the St Regis.

My complaints to the management took a week to reply, and all they said was hotel policy blah blah blah.

boutique hotels are a good idea, but because they have no real reputation to protect, they dont care about what u think about them. for anyone who wants to patronise klapsons, my advice is to think about some other place, where you will be treated like a real guest.

this was the most unfavorable experience i have ever had at a hotel in my life.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kyleslie
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2010

The Grand Hyatt was full (my normal hotel) and I only got one night at the Four Seasons. So I had to go looking, and I'm very glad of that - but the Grand Hyatt has lost me for all time, I'm afraid. I've just found my favourite hotel. In the world. And I've stayed at lots.

This is a delightful, funky, fun, ingenious, gorgeous hotel. The staff are gorgeous, interested, with light in their eyes and interest in everything about you.

The rooms are FUNKY. But here's the key, and here's why it's not for everyone: There are only 17 rooms. Yes, a 17 room hotel in Singapore, in possibly the smallest building in the city - and it is brand new. And it is nothing like I have ever stayed in before.

To the guest who gave it three stars because they served bluefin tuna: get over it, dear.

To the guest who gave it one star it can only be a sick joke: "bad service just like how big and elaborated the hotel is." Right. "Big". 17 rooms. Yeah. So dear Trip Advisor - please remove that review! The hotel doesn't deserve its name to be tarnished by larrikens.

So if you can handle a wonderful, modern, incredibly functional small hotel, please don't book here. Because I want a room any time I visit, and the last thing I want is for it to be booked out!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank NeilInOz51
Reviewed June 6, 2010

worst hotel ever! bad service just like how big and elaborated the hotel is. looking for a roomful of prissy staff, please check in at klapsons!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank shmily17
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Environment conscious travellers should be aware that the hotel's restaurant (Lucas) serves 'seared bluefin tuna' on it's a la carte menu

• Stayed May 2010
Reviewed December 26, 2009

Must stay! We stayed in the Oasis suite on the 24th of Dec. 2009.
Perfect! Beyond expectatation!

• Stayed May 2010
Paris, France
Reviewed November 4, 2009

a new boutique hotel in Singapore. Design-innovative. Level of service was outstanding during my short stay (2 nights), with an attentive staff (they greet you by your name). On the last day, they provided me with a room to rest and relax after I had checked out and before my flight (11pm back to Europe). Highly recommend this hotel for design fanatics, the lobby, the bar and the rooms are worth the experience.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business