“Very expensive, not very convenient location”

klapsons, The Boutique Hotel
Ranked #186 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Northiam, United Kingdom
“Very expensive, not very convenient location”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, 24th and 25th October 2013, there are no free transfers from the airport to the hotel and the taxi fare was around $20 each way depending on the traffic. The room and breakfast were nice enough although we had a power cut in our room on the last day and were sweltering before we left for the airport. They gave us a voucher for a free drink in the bar on the 17th floor which we decided to have after a long hot day walking around Singapore (the hop on/off bus stop is a long way from the hotel) the half pint of guiness went down well so we decided to have another (big mistake) because when it came to settling the bill at the end of our stay the extra 2 halves of guiness cost us $40 (£20) which we reckon must be a world record!
I think this hotel is vastly overpriced as it is not exactly in the best position for getting around Singapore.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback. At klapsons, we're always listening & I have shared your comments with our team so we can make your future stay with us a more memorable one. Once again, thank you for staying with us & we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This hotel has a "made-to-impress" lobby and it will give you the wow factor upon arrival. And as a property with less than 20 rooms, its facility and service is not extensive but just appropriate. I traveled on my own for business for 2 days and booked for Executive Double or Twin Room and got a room with 2 twin beds (which is fine with me). But the funny thing is, it has an open shower that mirrors are kind of all over the place so technically I cannot imagine 2 friends be able to share a room like this and if it is couple, then maybe they won't want 2 twin beds (unless Japanese). Anyway, I am fine with this since I am not sharing the room. Technically, the open shower will be the only "good-looking design" but not working 100% practically for me at this hotel. The water kept spilling out and the water went even to the closet area (since open space) on my first day and made my luggage wet (since I don't know and just put the luggage on the floor). Learning this, I was very careful to take the shower on the second day and have put floor towels around the possible spilling area and it was okay. But showering cautiously is not as enjoyable I guess. All other things in my room worked well, with a work desk, Nespresso coffee machine, complimentary mini-bar and free WiFi access. As for the Food & Beverage outlets, the coffee place just outside the lobby was great, good coffee and great staff. For the restaurant that I had breakfast at, I have to say the breakfast should at least include some raw veggies (like salad) or slices of fruits. I specifically asked and said not available. And there is no yogurt or cheese for the American breakfast set-menu either. So technically, the set comes with 2 eggs with bacon, mushroom, tomato, 2 toasts + croissant, juice and coffee. I think the hotel can do better on the breakfast set. Overall, a nice boutique hotel in a central convenient location. Will come back again and hope I can give this a 5-star rating next time.

Room Tip: I stayed at room 208. Maybe higher floor rooms is less noisy with the street traffic.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your compliments & valuable comments. All of us at klapsons are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have noted your feedback & will further improve ourselves to meet your expectations & make your stay the most memorable one. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Klapson's is a very nice hotel, the design is really cool. The location is convenient, since you get to the next metro station very easily by foot. The room was clean and the service was ok, as well as the breakfast. When the staff realized, that it was my birthday, I received a nice little cake as a gift. The only negative thing was the air condition, the room was freezing cold all the time, which couldn't be changed during our stay. This was extremely unomfortable especially when leaving the shower.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is extremely encouraging when guests acknowledge the good work of our team & that we made your stay a memorable one. I have shared your feedback to our maintenance team on the air conditioning & we will work harder to meet your expectations. All of us at klapsons are glad you enjoyed your stay with us & we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Very stylish & ultra-modern. Everything there, including furniture are all very well-maintained. I was impressed by the upkeep of the room. Because there are only 16 rooms, the staff were able to provide us with impeccable service. Bonus: they were very friendly too!

The room was very high-tech, inclusive of a iPad dock & also radio in both the room & toilet. Curtains could be adjusted via a remote control & there was even a small balcony with a comfy sofa.

Our stay also included a buffet breakfast at the Sleeping Rhino. THE OMELETTE WAS AWESOME! They had a variety of food from meat to yoghurt, & did I mention how great the omelette was? Wow.

All I can say is, they've redefined what a classy hotel stay means to me.

Room Tip: Suites have their own jacuzzi :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lainee-XQL
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind compliments. I have shared your kind words with our front desk team and they are extremely happy they made your stay a memorable one. Once again, thank you for choosing klapsons & we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Klapsons for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. With less than 20 rooms spread across only 2 floors, it is naturally a small, relatively private and personal hotel. The great things about this hotel are 1. Its friendly and knowledgeable staff 2. The "open concept" shower in the middle of the room with rainfall shower and adjustable lighting and mirrors on both sides perfect for playful couple joint shower 3. Complimentary minibar including nespresso machine and orange juice refilled daily. 4. Modern design with electric panel controlling curtains and lighting. The weaknesses of this hotel are 1. Weak free wifi signal 2. Lack of view of the city 3. Avoid booking taxi through the hotel if you dont wanna pay 2.5 dollars booking fee, just go out and get one yourself. Overall, however, Klapsons is a great hotel we will recommend to those seeking a unique and different experience.

• Stayed August 2013
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. All of us at klapsons are glad you enjoyed the stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Maybe I set the expectation too high when I booked for this hotel, since the comments are overwhelming good online. The hotel reception was indeed nicely designed. However, upon close examination, you can see all the furniture in the lobby and in the room have major wear and tear. Even the wall paint has started popping out. My room is on the 2nd floor but I am not sure whether the promo stand for the hotel outside needs to blast its music so loud during the day. If you need to work or catch up on some much needed sleep in the afternoon, this hotel is not a place for you. The hotel staff are very friendly but I think the hotel is understaffed. During my 3-day stay there, everything I walked to the front desk, no one was there and I needed to ask the cafe staff outside to help me find someone. The food in the restaurant is great but the staff seems to have no idea about the menu. A bit disappointed and I am not sure whether there is a reason behind it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind feedback. At klapsons, we work hard to offer good and friendly service & we will continue to work harder to meet your expectations. I hope you will give us another chance in the future. If you’d like to contact me directly, I am most glad to receive your call. Once again, thank you for staying with us & we hope to see you again soon.
London UK
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was a most enjoyable stay at a very different sort of hotel. The shower in the middle of the bathroom for instance, or the unusual floating ball reception. The staff were an absolute joy in their eagerness to help. I would definitely recommend it to any friends!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind compliments. On behalf of the team at klapsons, I want to express how gratifying it is to receive your kind note of support & encouragement. Once again, thank you for choosing klapsons & we look forward to seeing you again soon.