“Just don’t. Pay a little more and stay in a decent place.”
Review of Hotel Conforto

Hotel Conforto
Ranked #123 of 230 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Sao Paulo, SP
“Just don’t. Pay a little more and stay in a decent place.”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hotel localization is excellent, I can’t deny it. It’s in a really good area, really close to Clarke Quay and Chinatown, close to the subway station as well. Yes, this is the only good thing about this place. Yes, even if it were in the best place of earth and for free, I wouldn't stay there again.

First problem: I had made my reservation for this hotel 6 (six) months in advance, with a note that we were 2 male friends travelling so we wanted 2 single beds. When I arrived, no rooms with 2 single beds were available. Anyway, that was “ok”; those things happen sometimes.

The room was incredibly small. With the bed, bags and 2 people inside, a fly couldn't join us in the room. OK, it was cheap, that was my thought.

Room amenities: TV with no channels working, desk with lamp from a country different from Singapore (socket didn't fit so we had to use our adapters), small closet. Some hangers available. AC. Internet: Free!! It might work in the rooms, if it doesn't, in the hall outside you might find a stronger wi-fi.

Bathroom (see pics): Shower with no stall and no warm water (although there was a decorative thermostat). Flooded bathroom after every shower. Water pressure of the shower and of the tap was more or less the same (really weak). At least Singapore is warm enough to make a cold “shower” acceptable.

If you stay in the room with final “1”, buy ear-plugs. Elevator makes a stunning noise every time it works (and once it runs from the ground floor to the 4th in some long minutes, it bothers you for a long time).

Employees (receptionists): I just realized they existed when the girl from reception kept on calling me in the room from 10 in 10 minutes when I was relaxing (not a joke) “at the management request” to make me go down to the lobby to pay the bill in advance (once I checked in during the night) – After staying there I noticed why they wanted me to pay in advance… I wouldn't be able to run away from there without paying – I must confess I was close to do that even after paying.

Still about receptionists: Poor English, poor education, poor training. They don’t say a simple and polite “hello” when you come in or “goodbye” when leaving. They don’t even look at you or check if you are a guest or not. I just can say the hotel is safe because Singapore is safe, and not because their safety precautions, that don’t exist… anyone can come in. I’m telling about the times there was someone in the lobby… sometimes there was nobody there (see pics, and pay attention that someone had left a bag in the reception probably due to early check in or late check out with nobody taking care of it).

The emergency exit (that I had to use with all my luggage when leaving the hotel because the elevator stopped working) faces the street, and that door was never locked. Anyone could easily use it to reach the rooms (well, it’d be unnecessary once receptionists don’t pay any attention in any way – it’d be easier to possible muggers to use the elevator).

During the night, the receptionists lay down in the lobby sofa to take a nap or play in their mobile phones.

I don’t usually write bad reviews here, If I do, it’s because I feel in obligation to warn people about serious problems, and it applies to this hotel.

My suggestion: Stay in a Hostel. It’s gonna be about the same price, and surely with much better conditions and even comfort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank LePires
Kevin B, Manager at Hotel Conforto, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear LePires,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for the discomfort you experienced with the short stay with us.

I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your request on the 2 single beds as there were quite a few guests during that period that had also requested the twin rooms. And since it was subject to availability, we had to accommodate the other guests who checked in earlier.

I highly suggest that for your future booking in any hotel, instead of booking through an online agent, you should book directly with the hotel and specify that you will only book a room with 2 single beds or not book at all. That will guarantee you a room to your requirements.

We are in the midst of adding in more television channels as we take note that there is a need for more channels to improve the comfort level of our guests.

We have just checked all our rooms and the water heater is working perfectly, but we do have situations where the guest did not switch on the water heater switch next to the bathroom light. As for the water pressure, I agree that it is not very strong due to our old piping system as this building is over 50 years old. We are currently looking into upgrading the piping system over the next 2 years.

In regards to the elevator, we are also looking into reducing the sound when it operates. And I can understand your frustration as the standard room that you stayed in was just next to the elevator. The Superior rooms that we have are much further from the elevator.

And finally in regards to the receptionist that provided poor service. We have reprimanded the staff in question and further training was provided. As the hotel operates with only one staff on shift, there will be times when they have to leave the reception area for awhile. But rest assured that we have security cameras being monitored on the back end so luggages placed at the reception area are relatively secure.

I sincerely hope that you give us another chance and I will personally handle your reservation if you choose to stay with us again. Feel free to email me at Kevin@Lehotel.com.sg if you wish to make a booking and I will definitely make it worth your while.

Yours Sincerely,
Kevin Boon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed during 2012 Formula One Grand Prix. Twin room with window & shower was small but comfortable enough. Tiny room for two girls with huge suitcases but somehow we managed to survived. Hot water was good in the shower and air-con worked a treat, couldn't survive without it in Singapore. The rooms were cleaned every day. It's in a good neighbourhood between Clarke Quay and it's expensive restaurant and Chinatown. Just down the road from Clarke Quay train station at the mall. Wifi was hit & miss at times.

• Stayed September 2012
xPixie, at Hotel Conforto, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hello Dee,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thought it was fuss free. With regards to the wifi, we are actually in the midst of upgrading our wifi routers and servers, hopefully the next time when you're back, we're all set to impress you! Thank you once again Dee, and we look forward to welcoming you for your next visit.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. I called it the mouse hole. It had everything there that you could want or need and it was impeccably clean and modern. This is not a place to holiday with your lover or family as hotel room did not even have a window, it is for those who want to stopover or spend all their time out and just come back to sleep.
The staff were polite and helpful and it was comfortable.
The location was amazing as you were right in the hub of it, I would recommend it for solo travellers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank marianne b
Hello Marieann,

Thank you for your very kind review. We truly appreciate it. We hope to see you back with us the next time you return to Singapore, cheers!
Cavite, Philippines
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We're a family of 4. Our room was on the 2nd floor with ensuite bathroom, big window but no view. The room was small but the bathroom was surprisingly big. Everything worked well, hot&cold shower, cool aircondtioning...regular clean up of room, free bottled water and coffee/tea....From the lobby to the room, it was always clean, cosy and simple. All the receptionists(esp Benette) were friendly and helpful.

We loved the location as all types of transportation were available nearby. A taxi stand on the front street, an MRT station in a Mall just across the big road, bus stops for different destinations and the night life at clarke quay. Also, there are a lot of places to eat around the area, just walk around.

It is a good place to rest after a whole day of shopping/sightseeing and the price was very reasonable. We will definitely come back and even recommend to friends/family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rosey1014
Hello Rosey,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay here, and even more thrilled when you mentioned you will be back with your friends & family, we look forward to welcoming you and hosting your stay once again. Thank you Rosey!
Bad Toelz, Germany
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The prices for Hotels in Singapur are high so i was looking for a Budget place. As most places with a good price have a devasting review i end up with this Hotel. If you looking for a place to sleep i can fully recommend this place. The Hotel and the rooms are clean, the staff is friendly and helpful, the location is just awesome short walk to just everything, also a MRT Station is just 5 min away. This Hotel is for people they want a clean place to sleep with a location were they are able to explore singapur. Its not a Hotel in which you want to stay the whole day, if you looking for a kind of this place then its not the right choice, and you have to spend doubloe the money

Room Tip: Single rooms may without a window, and the room is tiny, but clean and a cheap place to stay, perfec...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AndiT303
Hello Andi,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review for us. We're glad you chose Le Hotel as your accommodation choice and hope you enjoyed everything Singapore has to offer. Thank you for taking the time to share some room tips as well! We hope to see you again soon, cheers!
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel due to the location to Clarke quay however, I was really disappointed. First room had no window & was tiny - we were then given another room at the front of the hotel & it was so
Noisy ! There is a club next door to the hotel which is unbearable - I had ear plugs and could still feel the noise vibrating through the room. No hot water the third night & the rooms smell of smoke. We decided to check out 2 nights early.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank LouB818
xPixie, Sales at Hotel Conforto, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Hello Lou,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We understand you frustration with not having a window in the room, but we do have rooms with windows as well. We will be relaying this information clearly over our booking portals to avoid any miscommunications like these. We are truly sorry and we are looking into changing our water heater system as well. There will definitely be new improvements made to our existing infrastructure and we hope for another chance to host your next stay in Singapore. Enjoy your next trip to Vietnam & Hongkong!

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

London
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Great location, across the road from the station, shopping centre and Clarke Quay shops and restraurants. This is the best thing about the hotel. We had a superior room which was basic but gave us a window. Not sure that was worth the extra money but overall it did the job.

The shower is very weak, a mere dribble. Told the lady on reception, said she would get someone to look at it but never did. Too expensive for such a basic hotel. Free wifi but didn't work most of the time

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
xPixie, Sales at Hotel Conforto, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Hello Roger,
Thank you for taking time to write a review for us. We have taken note of the issues you've addressed and we are currently looking into rectifying it. Thank you for letting us know, it is feedback like yours that matters and help us strive to be better overall. We look forward to welcoming you back! Cheers.