“The service in this hotel is awesome”
Review of Wangz Hotel

Wangz Hotel
Ranked #11 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
Sydney, Australia
“The service in this hotel is awesome”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I booked the hotel as it has such a high score in Tripadvisor. I stayed there for 3 days with my partner and we went to Singapore for vacation. The staff in the hotel was so professional, helpful and friendly. They tried to help as much as possible and I very enjoyed my stay. The breakfast was awesome, with a lot of variety. The hotel is about 10-15 minutes walking distance to the nearest MRT (Outram Park), however, shuttle bus was run regularly to the station, Marina Bay, and Orchard road. The only issue is that some taxi drivers were not familiar with the hotel and I had been charged a very high rate once as the taxi driver could not find the place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jen J
WANGZhotel231, Public Relations Manager at Wangz Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Jen J,

Thank you for choosing to stay with WANGZ Hotel during your recent visit to Singapore. We are glad to have lived up to your expectations and appreciate your generous compliments.

All of us look forward to welcoming you again should your travels bring you back to this part of the world.

Marketing & Communications Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed April 21, 2014

On our first trip to Singapore this place was an oasis of style, sophistication and calm. Fab views and luxurious rooms. Perfect for getting over jet lag and seeing the city. Really friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
WANGZhotel231, Public Relations Manager at Wangz Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Holly M,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at our hotel. We are extremely delighted to have provided you with a memorable first trip to Singapore and eagerly await your return visit to further explore this exciting Garden City.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I have very mixed feelings writing this review. I want to say loads of fantastic things because the staff were so nice and sincere.... However, in the spirit of authenticity (obviously) and wanting to be as helpful as I can to other travellers who may be considering staying here, I need to only give it 3 stars in terms of value for money and elaborate as below.

Firstly, the positives:
1) Wonderful, professional, friendly and swift check-in by Matthew, who then escorted me up to my room (6th floor) and ensured I was happy and settled. First impressions were great.
2) Lovely, spacious bathroom with a very effective rain shower (as well as a 'normal' hand-held option) plus bath, with excellent Molton Brown toiletries. Yes, as other travellers have mentioned, there's only a frosted door between the bedroom and the bathroom - and the loo was next to that frosted door - but as I was travelling solo privacy wasn't an issue.
3) Outram Road MRT station is only 10 minutes walk away. However, the hotel runs a complimentary shuttle bus frequently during the day if you don't fancy walking it. There are also shuttle drop offs on Orchard Road. The shuttle timings are displayed in Reception. There's also at least two local buses (included route # 123) which drops off within 2 minutes walk of the hotel.
4) Very comfortable, large bed; nice quality linen and pillows.
5) Complimentary x4 cans of drink and x2 bottles of water, replenished daily.
6) Complimentary wifi.
7) Very large safe; easy to operate.

The negatives/things to consider:
1) Location: although Singapore has a fantastic, super-regular and reliable bus and MRT service, be aware you are not 'in the thick of it' at the Wangz. I've stayed at hotels on Orchard Road, just off Orchard Road, and next to/near to City Hall area before, and would have to recommend those locations over the Wangz's if you want to be within really easy, walking distance to things going on or 'popping out' spur of the moment.
2) Sound proofing. The noise from the street didn't disturb me; it was internal noise from the other guest rooms that kept me awake during my two night stay....
3) The floor is very hard! There's no carpet. If, like me, you enjoy doing a few leg stretches etc in the morning and you don't travel with your own yoga mat, be prepared to ask for a blanket or layer up lots of towels. You'll crack bones otherwise!
4) I booked a Canopy room - which is one of the larger options. It was ok for me, travelling solo, but I think I'd have felt pretty cramped with another person there....especially because storage is extremely limited (see below).
5) Storage! I had a medium-large suitcase and really struggled to find somewhere to put it. It didn't fit onto the small stand slotted down the side of the bed, and I ended up 'storing' it on the floor area directly in front of the wardrobe. The wardrobe itself was very small, partly taken up by the ironing board and the safe. I couldn't see any bedside drawers in the room. A couple of surfaces yes, but no drawers or even shelves by the bed to put stuff in. There's a wide desk in the room, but again no drawers. I ended up keeping things in my suitcase rather than having stuff out everywhere, looking messy. I couldn't help think there was a certain degree of style over substance/practicalities...
6) Lighting. All or nothing! Full beam or struggling to see....
7) Breakfast: I know it's a small hotel, so it would be completely unfair to compare it to the many larger ones in the city - but I still found it very disappointing. The orange juice, I think, came out of a carton and tasted awful. There was only one type of milk (full fat) on display. Skimmed milk was provided when I enquired but it was long life, out of a carton and warm (taken out of a cupboard). The same thing happened the second morning. There were ants marching up the wall near the cereals and meats on both mornings. Eggs can be cooked to order on request - though I didn't spot the notice advising this until the second morning; it would have been helpful if the staff could have mentioned this to me when they sat me at my table on the first morning. I tried one of the hot dishes - an extremely stodgy rice dish which may have been made fresh, but I'm not 100%....
7) Value for money: I paid a 'promotional' price of $259++ for a canopy room with breakfast. Having stayed at two other hotels in Singapore on this particular trip - and other hotels on previous trips - I really don't think the Wangz represented value for money for my personal experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank wanderever
WANGZhotel231, Public Relations Manager at Wangz Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear wanderever,

Thank you for taking time to write this detailed review. First of all, your recognition of the team’s service is very encouraging and has affirmed the hotel’s commitment to excellent service. The other positive feedback on your accommodation experience are also valued. Yet I am equally disappointed to read of the experiences that fell short of your expectations.

While we have limitations in providing more storage space in the room, we will look into how we may improve the lighting and soundproofing. Our guestroom floors are actually fitted with a synthetic tatami material to alleviate guests’ sensitivity to dust and carpet fuzz. And should guests wish to perform some stretching exercises, an exercise mat is provided in the fitness centre located in the hotel lobby.

I sincerely apologise for the shortcomings experienced during breakfast as well. We have highlighted your comments to the Food & Beverage team and will ensure high hygiene standards and availability of cold skimmed milk is maintained at all times. Please rest assured that all hot dishes are freshly prepared daily. I do regret the misinformation about cooked eggs served at breakfast and have reminded the service team to be on top of this.

Your support for the hotel is much appreciated and I do hope that we may have another opportunity to show you the true WANGZ experience in the near future.

CHESHIRE
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My wife and I and our friends stayed here for four nights in April this year and were very impressed not only by the unusual circular design of the Hotel but also by the superb service that we received from the Staff. Nothing was too much trouble and the Desk Service went out of their way to ensure that we had easy access to the places that we wished to visit.

The bedrooms are large, clean and stylish with very regular laundry changes. The Bell service was also excellent and the inclusive self service breakfast was fine with eggs cooked to your own order if you wished for them.

The Hotel does not have a separate dining room or a residents lounge but it does have a friendly HALO Roof Terrace bar from which you get good views of the Outram Road area.

The Hotel is a classic boutique hotel and being less that 10 floors high is very suitable for those travellers who do not like high rise chain hotels.

If we do have the opportunity to return to Singapore we will certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: All rooms are well air conditioned with a responsive air conditioning system which is essential in S...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank PBJCHESHIRE
Dear PBJCHESHIRE,

Thank you for choosing to stay at WANGZ Hotel during your recent vacation. Your generous compliments on the service, amenities and facilities in hotel are truly appreciated and we are glad you had a superb accommodation experience along with your friends.

It has been our pleasure serving you and all of us look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Murray Bridge, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My husband and I chose the Wangz hotel for our 4 days in Singapore in early March 2014. We could not have been more pleased. The staff were most helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and roomy. There was a free access bus to local landmarks which we found very useful.
The staff gave us all the assistance and useful advise on what to see and where to go.
Overall a great experience.

Room Tip: The hotel is round, and is positioned on a very busy corner road. But surprisingly it was very quiet...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SuzanneB57
WANGZhotel231, Public Relations Manager at Wangz Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear SuzanneB57,

Thank you for taking time to share your great experience at WANGZ Hotel. It has been a delight serving you and your husband during your stay and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I stayed for a short business trip at Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. Wangz is within walking distance of Duke-NUS, Singapore General Hospital, and the Ministry of Health. The hotel is modern, stylish, and very well appointed. The rooms are large with wireless internet, flat screen television, a DVD player (DVDs available at the front desk), and tea and coffee making facilities. The hotel breakfast is excellent. There is a roof-top bar. The room service menu is also very good. Staff are highly competent and courteous. A range of shops and restaurants are available nearby. There is no swimming pool. All-in-all, a great hotel.

Room Tip: Good views from top floor rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear GHJohn,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent business trip. We are glad to have provided you with a positive accommodation experience and appreciate the time taken to write this review.

All of us at WANGZ Hotel look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future, hopefully for a leisure trip this time round.

Bo'ness, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights and were impressed with the friendly and helpfulful staff. The room was nice and bed very comfy and really very quiet considering its location between two roads. Handy for Chinatown and although not far from MRT at Outran they also run their own shuttle service so no problem getting to most places. Can't comment on restaurant except for breakfast as we ate out but the inclusive breakfast was varied and a good start for the day. Upstairs bar did good cocktails and bar food from 4pm.
In all a very good hotel for the price which I would not hesitate to recommend Well done Wangz!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank J07sc0tland
Dear J07sc0tland,

Thank you for taking time to write this review. I am very happy to know that you and your family enjoyed your overall experience at WANGZ Hotel.

Your compliments and recommendation are also truly appreciated. Please visit us again should your travels bring you back to Singapore.