“If you just want somewhere to flop for the night, this would suffice.”

Value Hotel Thomson
Ranked #192 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Baku, Azerbaijan
“If you just want somewhere to flop for the night, this would suffice.”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Just stayed at the Value Hotel Thomson for two nights. It's a bit out of the way, a somewhat steamy kilometer to the MRT [metro] station, so taxi was the better choice of transportation most of the time. We chose this property because it is fairly new and we were able to save about $50/night over the usual hotel we stay at when in Singapore. We found the beds to be comfortable. That is the good news.

When we arrived in our just-large-enough-for-two-beds and nothing else room we discovered the the floor was slick with some residue as well as littered with long strands of hair. We spent 10 minutes wiping the floor up and decided that "these things happen." Unable to relax we went to check out the pool. Nice, clearly able to get in lap swimming; but no shade whatsoever - this is Singapore and one seriously needs to have an umbrella for a respite from the sun, especially if you just want to relax and read a book.

We went to sleep easily around 11PM but we were awoken by loud drunken chatter at 2:30a.m. This lasted for about 10 min. we got back to sleep and then were re-awoken at 4:15 a.m. with the next wave of inebriated revelers - mind you this was a Wednesday night and NOT a holiday as such. People are allowed to enjoy themselves and it is unfortunate when they are not considerate, however, the bigger issue was that the walls and doors were so low grade that it sounded like we were in an echo chamber.

Breakfast was served in a decent restaurant adjoining the hotel. There was a large variety if you like deep fried onion rings, deep fried fish, fried noodles, powdered juice, coco flacks cereal, shelf milk and instant Nescafe coffee. There was fresh watermelon and cantaloupe but I am personally not a melon person so I went around the corner to get some yogurt and put that with the grains/nuts/dried fruit that I always carry 'just in case.'

This was not a horrible place and if you need to save the money you might consider it. We are back at the usual 4-star hotel located by the lovely quay and will probably not venture out to another 'bargain hotel' while staying in Singapore, for our family it just wasn't worth the savings to miss out on the relaxing vacation experience that a pleasant hotel affords us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank AliceC1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Another new hotel in Singapore which is well-maintained so far and clean. But the room is extremely small!I could barely move nor even open my suitcases. The bathroom is as small as a 2x2 store room.
Despite the fact that it's in town, and as a former Singapore Citizen, I have to say that the location isn't that convenient. It's a bit far from the MRT station and the bus stop to the central city is on the main road,therefore you have to walk to get there. In fact, I was always tempted to take the cab as this little walk to the public transport stop/station is a bit far and I started to get bored of it.
And last but not least, when I have extended my stay on Agoda and went to the reception, they told me that I have to downgrade me and move me to a room without windows, as I have been upgraded the day of my arrival, and no one told me that I have been upgraded when I have arrived and thought that I have booked what I've paid. I had to argue with the person in charge to keep my room as I thought it was unfair since I don't know how disorganised they are...

Room Tip: Make it clear and sure to the staff that you get the right room you've paid for. If you are a t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I've slept in a lot of small room hotels before but this place so far tops the list. It's actually so small that it only takes 2 steps to get from the bed to the toilet. Bathroom is ideal for people who like to multitask. The whole bathroom is almost an arms width and you can literally shower, brush your teeth, and do No. 2 all at the same time. Another thing about this hotel is that if you're really lucky you get the cell.. I mean room at the center of the building which means a room with a view and by view meaning a wall. There was a curtain where the window ought to be but I personally didn't give an effort to know what was behind it knowing already where my room was in the building. Design of the whole place is really nice if you're into hospital corridors. Speaking of corridors, they'll be a problem if you're one of those travelers who require a forklift for their baggage. It's a tad narrow for my liking is what I want to say.

The few good things about this place is just like Singapore itself the place is squeaky clean you can practically eat on the floor but don't cause the cleaning lady might run you over with her trolly. The room has everything you need in a city hotel except for room service. I can't remember correctly but I think there was only one socket in the whole cell.. i mean room. The bed is nice and comfortable but it's definitely not for those who are prone to the feeling that the walls are closing in. Just focus on the TV in front of the bed and you'll be fine. In my experience I just slept in that room and always felt the need to leave once the sun rises... well according to my watch since I can't really see the sun from the room. Bath had bathroom amenities and clean towels. Nothing special. Reception people are fine but nothing out of the ordinary. You know they're just doing their job.

Overall, for the price I paid for this 'value' hotel I expected a bit more than a 6x6. I wished I had left sooner than I did and I would've saved a lot. Good thing I was here on business. I can't recommend this to people coming to Singapore on a holiday or even budget travelers.

Room Tip: Reserve those rooms facing the outside of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

This is the good standard hotel that we are worth to pay. If all of you looking for nice hotel for stay long time or short time,this is very good hotel to stay. Even this hotel doesnt near with mrt station u can easly take a bus to go anywhere. This hotel also near with foodmarket and 24hour 7-11 so u will not hard to find place for eat and drink.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Honestly standard rooms are too small but you just get what you pay. When you compare other hotels around Singapore, this is a great value and I can tell easy to get everywhere in the city by metro. Hotel is very clean, nice terrace pool and friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed October 19, 2012

One of my favorite hotels in Singapore: clean, professional staffs and average room size (most of Singapore hotels have small rooms). The bathroom is clean and always has hot water for showing. I've booked Balestier Hotel (other hotel in Thomson series) but I forgot and came to Value Thomson. But staff is very pleased to change it for me. One pros is quite near Novena MRT station. just 15 minutes to go. And there is a delicious chicken rice food shop near the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Sophia_Ngoc
Virudhunagar
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Booked this room through Cleartrip.com. There is no single room. So I had to book Double room. The standard room doesnt have window. So you wont know if its raining outside or if its dawn or dusk. The deluxe room has that provision. My room was in 6th floor (603!). I had early checkin at 9AM to actual check in time at 12 noon. So had to pay extra SGD$20. No smoking in rooms. Its hotel policy and I appreciate that.

The location - You need to cross the main road and take Bus No. 21 (about 4 stops) to Novena MRT. Or just walk for like 15 mins. Or, in the main road on your side, opposite to 7 Eleven you can take 21 or 139 to Boon Keng MRT. But this takes atleast 20 to 25 mins. So MRT is accessible with difficutly

Shopping - Novene has got Velocity. Its good. Little India is nearby. But take an MRT to any place you want to. Orchard is accessible by Bus or also by MRT (Novena!)

Rooms - Too small rooms. With a double cot, 2 suitcase, laptop bag, I didnt have any place to move around. Its just a place to rest. But the rooms were clean. The Aircon was perfect. There were 20 channels, which is mostly Chinese language, but I never stayed in room - so thats perfect. The washroom is tidy. They gave me two toothbrush with paste, a shower cap, body lotion and also shampoo with two towels. Though it was also small in space, a solo traveller, like me wont complain. Wifi worked all time. It was super fast, no issues with connectivity. Each floor had its own router. So its great. Rooms were cleaned up everyday when you are out, and refilled with two complimentary water bottles and your coffee ingredients.

Food - Though there is a tiny kopitam near Ah Hood Road (2 mins walk), to find a decent place, I had to travel quiet a distance (Whampoe Community Centre - 15 mins walk) or to Boon Keng's McD or Little India or steam boat opposite to Novena. The kitchen below didnt have what I wanted. But it was nice place to sit at night, and have a beer.

NOTE: If you are taking cab, please advise the chauffer to take you to HOTEL VALUE THOMPSON. There is another Value Nice nearby. You dont want to mess up. To make it more easier, say near Jalan Datoh. But to reach Jalan Datoh you need to enter from Expressway. So what I did was, got down in Ah Hood road (Ah Hood Gardens) and walked for like 2 mins to hotel. It was simple when coming from the hotel side road and not opposite.

I had few issues though. There was a tiny partially covered ventilation on roof upon entrance. It brought in strange noise like water bucket filling up (most of time!). I peeped into it and found its kinda got all its plumbing above it. I annoyed me. But since my stay in room was hardly 4 to 6 hours a day, and that time, I would sleep, I didnt bother me. But over all, I had great experience.\

Checkout was like really easy. Hardly two mins.

Will recommend this for tourist on budget conscious.

FYI, I didnt happent to visit the gym or pool. Visited Toa Payoh pool instead.

Room Tip: Take Deluxe Rooms so that you can have a window. Believe me, you need to know whats happening outsid...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo