“Avoid this place!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of ABC Hostel

You added ABC Hostel to your Saves list
ABC Hostel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Jalan Kubor, Singapore 19920, Singapore (Kampong Glam)   |
Ranked #197 of 305 Hotels in Singapore
Pekanbaru, Indonesia
“Avoid this place!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was booking the hostel thru email; and booked for a room for three with bathroom attached to the room. I was specifically say that we will travel of 2 adults and one child of 5 year old. They've explain the room charges; and I've paid down payment for 2 nights stay (March 27th - 29th, 2013).

When we checking in, they just realize that my daughter is indeed 5 years old! and request me to pay for an extra charges for her! When I showed the receptionist the confirmation email; along with the detail of all the guests; they say "ooopsss...I guess they (who?) made a mistake". Anyway, I paid the additional charges.
But the torture wasn't end there.

When we enter the room; you can sense the humidity in the air. When you step on the room floor; it leave watermark as the room had been wet all day long. You can sniff the smell of "bad" air just by walk into the room. The ceiling left traces of leakage. The attached bathroom wasn't equip with proper exhaust; and there's no ventilation. I guess the humidity from the bathroom come right into the room; that causing the bad air.

The bad air finally caught our daughter; she barely can breath that night; and finally able to fall a sleep at 2 AM; after throwing up and let all the mucus blocking her respiratory. The bad air just gave her a severe allergic reaction that causing her body to produce mucus that blocking her respiratory.

I come to the receptionist in morning; and explain the situation. They didn't offer me a room change; so I assume all rooms are as humid as the one we occupied. So I was cancelling my reservation for the other one night; that I had paid up in front (along with additional charges the made for my daughter; that they forget to tell). However; they say no refund can be made; as they are non refundable - no matter what the circumstance.

So we end up paying Sing $ 92 for un-used one night stay; I hope the hostel can make a good use of our money; and invest it into an exhaust fan! On for that amount of money; you can find a lot more better place in Singapore.

So we leave the hostel that morning; and stroll our bag for another place to stay; which is quite hard to find; as we came in Easter weekend to Singapore. But I'd rather strolling around Singapore finding another place to stay; rather than staying one more night in ABS Hostel.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DindaFreeTime

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
Sanur, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The hostel is okay, I suppose. The plus would be its location,cause it's close to the Bugis MRT and near a bus stop so if you're tored of walking you can just hop on the bus for a short distance ( i got a singapore tourist pass so i just took the bus from thestation to here to avoid walking and using the pass as much as i could ). They provide complete facilities from hair dryer to iron ( so you can definitely handle that crumple on your dress like I did) which was great for me. The owner and the staff were really helpful. I tried to get the doubleroom but theyare all booked already soI stayed in the 6-bed dorm which was okay except for a caseof wet towel cause there was nowhere to hang it. Don't forget to bring your own lock so you can use the locker under the bed, or the bigger one outside to store your stuff and keep them safe. The breakfast is average just bread and toast with jam and butter plus coffee or tea, i mean with 20 bucks per night, i suppose they're acceptable. But there's a fridge that you can keep your stuff in as long as you put your lable on it. My advice is to just book it online first so you know your option

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank fmhrani
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This place is terrible, I can't believe people actually like it, hundreds of flies in the showers, noisy dorm right in front of the office and right beside the outdoor kitchen/smoke pit. Pay the extra few dollars and go elsewhere

• Stayed February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Nusa Dua, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

It's my first stay at ABC Hostel and my fw times of my visit to Singapore.
I always different hostel in my each visit to Singapore and ABC was a great decision to stay with my Hubby's big family :)
Zeny who dealt with me and the other staff and the owner also was so helpful and friendly.
We found everything we need by asking all the staff there.
The hostel is so clean and tidy.
The most important is the location is very good, very close to Bugis so we can go anywhere easily.
We surely recommend this hostel to everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

this is my First Time Stay in ABC Hostel and my 2nd time go to Singapore. ABC Hostel is Closed with Bugis MRT (5 Minute) and Bugis Junction and Market. The Room is so Small but the Air Conditioner is Cold for me:) . The Breakfast is Standard.

If you a Budget Traveller, you can stay here:)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yovi_88
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

i am staying here now, and the place is sound i been here before thats why i have come back
cheap and free internet pc's at the back and free ice and coffee toast in the morning

aircon works good and the staff are nice as well, nice place all in all i can even walk around in my underpants no one cares i dont know if thats because i look great in my underpants or not

its also close to the city and close to the bus's

cheers mick swagger

Room Tip: end rooms are the best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bromma, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The cheapest hostel that I'd get in Singapore. The staffs are friendly and helpful. Pretty basic hostel. The dorm is pretty small and cramped but its OK as it was pretty clean. The shared toilet/bathroom was clean too. Wifi connection pretty decent. The hang-out area outside of the hostel is where I'd mingled with other backpackers. The inside common area is pretty small with satellite TV. Pretty popular among Asian travelers. Close enough to other places like Arab St., Bugis, Little India, etc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo