“Do not shop here !!”
Review of Sim Lim Square

Sim Lim Square
Ranked #79 of 523 Shopping in Singapore
Reviewed May 3, 2013

word of the wise : DO NOT SHOP HERE!!!
most of the savy locals know better and don't shop here at all.
Its basically a place to lure suckers into believing they have gotten a good deal.
This problem is not unique to singapore, its prevalent everywhere in the world. But in Singapore, this place is simply notorious. Take it from a local :)

A news article
Yahoo! SG compiled these tips from regular Sim Lim customers, shop owners, and a few unfortunate souls who were ripped off by unethical sellers.

Aggressive Sales Tactics

#1: Don't get lured in by fake promises

If the shop's salesmen are hanging around outside their shop approaching tourists or potential customers, calling out "best price for you", holding calculators and blocking your way, stay away.
Their full-time job is just luring you into the shop with ridiculously low prices before ripping you off. For some tourists, the physical impact of seeing the so-called "cheap price" on the calculator is often too tempting to resist. Remember - if its too good to be true, it probably is. After getting you into the shop with that unbelievably low price, the salesman will likely try to cross-sell another camera to you - which may be refurbished or old stock they are trying to get rid of.

#2: Pressurising the customer

Another common tactic used by rogue salesmen is pressure. When the customer senses something is wrong and starts to resist, other salesmen walk over and start to convince him - not very gently - that he needs to buy the product. Before long, you find yourself being harassed by everyone in the shop - lone shoppers are the prime target for this tactic.

#3: So-called "freebies"

Don't fall for the "freebies" trick - most cameras, for example, already come in a set from the supplier with freebies like memory cards, screen protectors, and extra batteries included in the deal. Some Sim Lim vendors will claim they are throwing in these "extras" at their own cost, or even replace the original extras with cheap, parallel imported equivalents.

"Extra charges"

Another common ruse to get unsuspecting customers to cough up more money is by tagging on "extra charges" onto receipts, often after the customer has already paid up the agreed amount.

#1 "Unlocking" charge

For hand phones and items like PSPs or handheld games, unethical salesmen claim that their item is cheaper because it is "parallel-imported" from China and Japan and thus require an "unlocking fee" to make it compatible for use in Singapore. This so-called unlocking fee can range from $20 to $100, and will never be charged by authorised retailers.

#2 "Sales Tax"
A "sales" or "service" tax of between 15 per cent to 20 per cent is added to the bill. The salesman will claim that the price negotiated is not inclusive. A giveaway is when you ask that this "tax" be written into and reflected in the official receipt - if they are scammers, they will refuse to do so.

Fake or refurbished goods

#1 Refurbished memory cards, printer cartridges
So you've checked the brand, you've haggled on the price, and you think you finally got a good deal. But don't be too sure - some vendors in Sim Lim buy back second hand cameras, phones, and even smaller items like memory cards and printer cartridges, then polish them up and sell them as new.

A tip from vendors: The product you look, check, and use at the counter may be swapped between counter to cashier. Make sure that you can personally see the same item being packed into your shopping bag as the one you have examined. Do not be distracted - some rogue salesmen try to get your attention as they swap it by taking out freebies or other items.

#2 Fake goods
Fakes from China are common in Sim Lim Square - especially for Apple products, for which there is huge demand in the mainland. The fakes range from cheap looking, obvious imitations to those which, on the outside at least, look as good as the real thing.

6  Thank bearvcva
There are newer reviews for Sim Lim Square

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Bought some camera equipment and was convinced I was getting a good price,for some lenses made in Germany. After returning to my hostel and doing some research the goods are Chinese and not worth the price. They lure you in and make you feel good and trust worth but it is all about of a scam. I think I am about $300 or more dollars out of pocket. I have learned from a costly mistake. They offer no refund which I didn't realize until after I had read the receipt which I signed.

2  Thank zoober99
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 4G mobile at a shop called Star One Mobile. Level #02-75, Sim Lim Square, Rochor Canal Road, Singapore 188504. The salesman will talk nicely to you to convince you to buy from their shop with free gifts like casing & screen protector. So after discussing I agree to pay SGD 666 for two same mobiles Samsung Galaxy S3 4G 16 GB (incl. GST 7% & credit card charge 3%). After paying for the phone price he said he will help me register & unlock but there will be a charge by the network because of unlocking. I asked him if the network in my country will charge me later & he said yes so I agreed because I thought it was legit because this will be charged by my network only. He filled up a small white form from the shop asking me which services I like to activate like GSM, 3G, international sim usage, etc. He then went out somewhere to activate then we he came back he showed me the extra charge I need to pay to him up to SGD 819.80 for both the mobiles! I asked him again about the network charge but disagree about what I asked before & kept on saying this is normal for any phone. He’ll tell you about stories other customers paid similarly & some even higher but not complaining about it. He said if I want to buy cheap I need to subscribe to local carrier. I complained a lot and not accepted, but they said this is your fault, you already signed the form and you should think before this signing! I tried a lot to refuse to pay, saying this was not part of the deal and never discussed. He said it was our fault for not asking! He then said if we did not pay, then 40% cancellation charges would be applicable as mentioned in the signed form! I never think than in Singapore have many kind of cheat person can do business. I had discussed, argued and requested a lot to sales person as I don’t have this much amount and I had a return flight on the same day at night! I have wasted 4-5 hours in buying these mobiles as well as in arguments and understanding all the fraud process these people are doing with every customer! I had paid for it because I had to go somewhere else afterwards but this is not what I expected from my Singapore trip. The shop has even didn’t stamp and sign on the warranty card of the both mobiles that I just realized now (I have a doubt now that I could get a warranty on these two mobiles or not!)
After coming back I had searched and googled about this store and found so many fraud cases and scams online for this IT mall. Unfortunately I paid SGD 666 thru my debit card so even I could not be able to lodge a dispute with Mastercard. And just after coming back to home I got to know that we can even contact to the Singapore Consumer Board as well as claim for the extra paid amount which is totally fraud and can drop a note to the Singapore Tourist Board mentioning the scam that we had just experienced. Singapore has lost a lot of its charm to us now, as we see its not all nice, friendly and exciting. Though Singapore has the aura of controlling crime, its just not true.
Requesting you to please do needful further to claim fraud amount of SGD 819.80 which I paid in cash to the shop. I do have all the original bills, eTRS notification slip as well as the credit card slip if require to process further.
Pls help me out!
Yours Sincerely;
Hetal

4  Thank Hetal_S17
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just got ripp off in Focuspoint Electronics PTE LTD in SIM LIM TOWER. I understand this is ar Market Place and you are suposed to bargain. But that they officially cheat an laugh at you when you come back to complain makes me angry. I just payed 130 Dollar for an adapter worth 10-20 Dollar, just because I'm new to photography lens adapters and didn't know yesterday how they cheat on customers. There are many complaints about this company on the internet.

Police Officers passing by just said they can't do anything.

3  Thank mueggldo
Reviewed March 25, 2013

If i had read the reviews sooner i wouldnt have went there i bought a 3ds and a game for $400 which was reasonable, then they started charging ridiculous prices for memory card and sdhc card for about $100 each and extra service to make the console run faster for $150.Police need to shut down this place for good, more people will just keep getting conned like me.

4  Thank derp d