“Good for price and location”

Backpackers Inn Chinatown
Ranked #141 of 234 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Great location, good free computer/internet/washing/dryer, tidy shower/toilets, good aircon (important coz it was hot!!!), only downsides were tiny room, no natural lighting and no service (e.g. towel change). Close to Chinatown MRT station, quiet as well despite being above a bar, close to lots of food/restaurants/street stalls/market and water from taps seemed fine to drink. squeaky bed...although less so when lying horizontally at the end of the bed :)

Room Tip: our room was up two lots of stairs and at the end away from computer/bathroom/kitchen (room number 9...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kiwi-nzer
There are newer reviews for Backpackers Inn Chinatown

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Next to the China Town street, but far enough from the trouble. So room was quiet. Staff was nice and very helpful. Room was extremely small and everything was tight. But seems to be Singapore standard. Shared facility was OK and clean. Free WiFi. Even an internet terminal was provided. All in all: a good cheap accommodation with a fair price for a private room, if you like China Town: 4 points.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

This is my 4th times stay. And my last experiende was worst ever. Yes they have open new building besidebfor dorm room. But got dorm just front of the bathroom. Very noisy. They said a room of 4. But it is only a room partition with wood, and close only with pkastic cover, not door.

Well thisbtime the bath room nit smelly. But for the bad sheet wondrrful

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank kakek_ganas
Reviewed December 4, 2012

just been there few days back. Me n my other friend booked the all female dorm room. We just book on the spot. With S$25 / bed / night, it's really worth it. Clean bathroom , clean bedsheet, & clean towel provided. There's also free wi-fi inside the hostel . And if you have no smartphone, no worries, u still can surf with their free net surfing located at the top floor.

With just few minutes walk from Chinatown MRT station, this place is definitely shud be in ur list! Plus, there's also a bar located at the lower ground of the hostel for ur "refreshments"!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank hilwani_g
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is my first time staying at a hostel, so I didn't know what to expect.
Booking was hassle-free. I booked on their website (http://www.backpackersinn.com.sg/) and it had all the rates upfront with the days they are booked by rooms, which is awesome.

Checking in was easy too. The staff was very friendly. We were required to give an extra SGD10 as a deposit which will be returned upon check-out. We were given an access card which meant there was no curfew. We were also given a room key. One of the staffs showed us around. The hostel was clean, so I was happy about that!

But when I got to the room, I realized that the bedsheet is stained! There were black (and blue?) ink stains on it. I wouldn't say that the staff overlooked it because it was really obvious. I know the room is cheap (we had a double room, SGD65 a night) but I don't think it justifies a stained bedsheet :( Also, the mattress was really hard. I actually didn't sleep well because of this. The plus side is, they provided a towel and a blanket for each person, which is nice =D (the blanket was slightly musty though)

The facilities they had was a washer and a dryer, free drinkable water, wifi (this is a godsend! especially if you're a foreigner) and two desktop terminals if you prefer surfing on a computer. The bathroom is clean and it even has a hairdryer :O

Checkout was hassle-free. Just had to pass them the room keys and access card to get back our SDG10 deposit.

All-in-all, a cheap place to stay, you get what you pay for. I might come back if I need a cheap place to stay, but I will try to look elsewhere first next time =)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed in Backpackers' Inn for four days. It was a small place almost five minutes of walk away from the Chinatown Station but it was a great lodging establishment. The staffs were friendly and the ambiance was comfortable.

I stayed in the dormitory downstairs with the other backpackers. Rooms are separated by curtains and the floor was carpeted. A towel and blanket are provided, and a comfortable pillow. There are also lights above the beds for personal use.

Even though the inn was full, I had no problem with the bathroom. I didn't know if I was just good with timing or what. There was also a computer to use for free and wi-fi is available. There's also hot water for coffee.

I think my only complaint here is that their iron ruined my favorite shirt and the snoring man was too loud that me, and my dorm mates, weren't able to sleep properly. (Although I don't blame the staffs for that.lol)

oh, they accept credit cards.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and kind of liked the place. The doorms are not really rooms, more separated by a single wall and curtains. But despies that the place is clean and most of the times quiet. We got a doorm closest to the kitchen making it sometimes noisy but mostly after 9 am making it fell ok. Only two toilets to share among about 25 people but it worked out fine and their really clean. I would recommend the place fop a cheap budget stay.

• Stayed: October 2012