“NEVER RETURN TO THIS HOTEL AGAIN”

Value Hotel Balestier
Ranked #172 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“NEVER RETURN TO THIS HOTEL AGAIN”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

First, I send 3 emails to the hotel email add stated in their web and receive no respond after 2 days. So I decided to fill up the form in their web instead of manually sending an email. Another 2 days pass, still no respond. Got so angry that I actually took all their 3 hotel branches email and forward my email again. Still no one responded until the day I checked in, I question the recept. And all his reply was "Oh". WHAT A GOOD FOR NOTHING RECEPT! Ok, fine, proceeded with our stay. The ledge on on bed was dusty, cabinet was dusty, wall is very thin, we can even hear the next door snoring in the middle of the night! Location is also inconvenient. Have to take bus to town area. There are other better hotels than this I'm sure!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TenthJuly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed here with two friends for 3 nights and it definitely wasn't great. Since we requested a 3-person Superior room, we had an extra bed which was advertised as a "sofa bed" on the website. This actually turned out to be a really hard sofa seat plopped on the floor. Both sides were raised so you would sleep with your head and feet elevated. Definitely not a sofa bed, but I decided to make do.

The worst was the smell and the bathroom. Our room stank with alcohol and cigarette smoke, even though we requested a non-smoking room. Since our room had no window, we had no way of airing it out so we opened the door. It turned out that the smell got worse with the door open. The smell just permeated the rooms and the hallways. The walls are so thin, it's no wonder we heard screaming drunk people at 5 in the morning.

The bathroom is a another story. I have never seen a shower and a toilet combined into one. Essentially, the entire bathroom is a shower with the shower head is located above the toilet. So the floor gets completely wet and the water takes forever to drain. When we came back after a long day out, the smell of dirty water, sewage, alcohol, and smoke was terrible. I don't know if the Superior room is the only one like that, but I will never stay here again.

Although, I do have the say that there was ONE nice front staff member who meticulously helped us navigate the bus system.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ally088

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My 2nd time (last time with my cousin) this time by myself I stayed for 6 nights. I booked through hotel website and decide to call the hotel because i need to ask for some changes. I called from Australia and when i just mention 1 word about reservation. The staff straight away told me to not call their hotel and just go to website to do reservation. I was very upset because they didn't want to listen to me first.
Overall check in was fast, housekeeping services are great. Good rooms for budget hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The rooms are clean and comfortable though extremely small. I guess that is a feature in most Singapore hotels. Located in bustling district, though away from MRT stations. That makes it a little inconvenient to move around. The staff were extremely courteous and helpful. Not the most idea room if travelling with a kid. Good for couples or solo trips.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SreeramRamamoorthy
Malaysia
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The staff is very friendly. We stayed there for 2 nights. the front desk staff will always smile whenever we pass by the counter. A very convenience place with food court is just within walking distance. Room is clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: The air con is ready cool even it is adjusted to the highest temperature.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank cynmaine
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We walked into this hotel at about 1am directly from the airport. We had reservations for another hotel that started at noon, so we needed a place to crash for a few hours of sleep and a shower. At the front desk, the staff quoted me a price for the night and I asked if they could do better seeing as it was 1am. The idiot told me that if I wanted an hourly hotel I could go down the street to another hotel. Normally I would have left but seeing as it was 1am instead I abruptly corrected her and she gave me a room on the ground floor. It was so noisy. Were it not for being exhausted, there's no way I could have slept. As soon as we woke up we left, not wanting to spend a second more in that place. I actually stayed at Value Hotel Nice once and there was nothing to complain about. It's just this property.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay on the ground floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple