“Trust the quality, it’s original and so’s the experience ”

Kappou Japanese Sushi Tapas Bar
Ranked #5,258 of 14,300 Restaurants in Singapore
Neighborhood: Central Area/City Area
Neighborhood: Central Area/City Area
Reviewed November 6, 2018 via mobile

Had a read thru the other reviews and wouldn’t differ much in opinion. I read about the place and wanted to give it a go. For omakase, it’s as genuine as it gets for the selection and quality. The ingredients and preparation tell me it’s not for the under-trained. Uni sashimi the soy based items and even the dashi was of real quality. The Chef is extremely engaging and accommodating. And my takeaway from the drinks philosophy is, it’s seasonal and similar to the food, unique. It’s not cheap and rare. I loved the selection of rare whisky but am not too fussed w sake. So go with what you know and obviously ask. The experience was engaging as we learnt more abt what we had. Gokoru is their izakaya version (soon to be established) and we were privy to the soft opening. Safe to say the quality is consistent. Most of all, the willingness of the chef to be accommodating and serious about ensuring you understand her need to maintain the quality, diversification of seasonality, attention to preparation and selected drinks. Try the basic omakase, and if not sure ask and engage. You won’t be disappointed... we are looking forward to the next visit (even if she put a small table and stool outside for us!)

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

It was a humbling experience sitting in and watch Chef Aeron prepare our meal. First thing first, the food prepared are her years of hard work training and it’s not easy for a Lady working in this male dominated industry. She’s also very open to sharing how to prep certain dish to my friend who was very into culinary.

All her ingredients were freshly flown in from Japan. Omakase means to entrust/ let the Chef decides on the menu. Went there twice and both time it’s something new. Even the soy sauce is home made!

The restaurant only sits 12 people and it’s open only for dinner. Each sitting takes at least 2 hours or more. The umeshu they have is the best I’ve ever tasted.

Would have paid a lot more for a 14 course Omakase elsewhere... there’s only 13 in the picture cos Chef Aeron personally hand fed one of the sushi freshest made on the spot to us.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 10, 2018

You would've seen reviews online raving about what good value this restaurant is with a $128 per person Omakase price tag. This is very misleading because you are compelled to order alcohol, and boy do you pay.

We dined in a group of 3 and our bill came to $969. The food is delicious, I'll give Aeron that, but there is no drinks menu and we didn't feel comfortable asking her to go through the drinks price list sitting elbow to elbow with other diners. Our bad, but Aeron and her helper constantly pressured us to drink alcohol - they would interrupt our conversation every few minutes to clink glasses and ask us to down what was left of our sake, we felt like we were in a hostess bar.

I really wanted to give this restaurant 5 stars for the food, it is delicious and would have been good value at $128, but the ambience and our enjoyment of the food was ruined by the constant requirement to clink glasses with Aeron and numb our palates with very expensive sake.

This is a perfect dinner venue if you're on expenses, on a drinking expedition with your colleagues and want to kill the following day with a hangover.

Date of visit: May 2018
2  Thank llyrvak
Reviewed May 17, 2018

Read about Chef Aeron in the local magazines and wanted to try this place which is popular enough among it's regular clientele that it's hard to book. I finally got a booking but was rather disappointed with the overall experience.
This place is reputed for its good value omakase and at $128++ for the basic menu it would have represented good value in overpriced Singapore. However, I'm not a fan of places where you don't see price list for the sake and leaving the sake choice to Chef Aeron could bump your meal cost to $250+ per pax. Could one have asked about the price of sake before hand? Sure but Chef Aeron serving a full counter on a busy night would be too overwhelmed to address that.

But that's not the sticking point. $250+ per pax for Japanese Omakase in Singapore with sake recommended by the chef is not egregious and could even be comparatively attractive pricing compared to tonier sushi-ya in more upscale location. What's grating is being served a rather sad looking dessert when other customers got a better option. When asked about the discrepancy, I was initially told that the other customers opted for a higher end menu, but when I pointed out that we had also paid for the premium uni option hence $188++, the story changed that those customers were regulars and hence were given a different dessert to try. Sorry but I don't like being discriminated against just because I'm new and naive to this place. We paid good money and expect to be treated fairly.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank SanfordChee
Reviewed November 16, 2017

This is a brilliant restaurant operated by a very special young Chef. The Chef is dynamic, and extremely talented. It is Omakase style dining, and chef explains in details about each of her dishes while serving it.
I would not suggest this place for a romantic dinner, it is more of a place to have a great gastronomic experience. Restaurant is small and has only 12 bar seats.

Date of visit: November 2017