“Good (not breakfast)”

Ranked #48 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Good (not breakfast)”
Reviewed December 27, 2009

I stayed at this hotel in October 2009 for 3 nights. It is in a good location for Clarke Quay. The room I was given was small but clean, although someone had been previously smoking in the room and housekeeping had a fumigator in the room to try and get rid of the smell but without success. The staff were all very good and efficient but the let down is in the morning at breakfast. The dining room looks nice enough but can get very crowded when coach parties all come in on mass. The food is not very good quality. I expected real orange juice but instead there is only diluted orange. The choice of fresh fruit is very limited and when I asked specifically if the chef could make scrambled egg I got a rubbery omelette. I guess I was in the wrong part of the World to ask for such an exotic way to cook eggs, lol. The chef only knew how to cook eggs in a wok! The coffee seemed to be a secret too. I had to ask 3 times for coffee each morning. AND to crown it all there was a super efficient assistant who took my dishes away before I was finished. He did not even ask before whisking everything away. No, it is better to look elsewhere if you have a choice to spend your hard earned cash.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Iain_G_C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (992)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights for a short break in Singapore. Like the many other reviews, I agree that the room is too small, even for one person, there is hardly room to move about. In addition, the bathroom is a see through glass partition, which is totally transparent. There are no curtains. this could be part of the design to make the room appear bigger. Am not sure though whether this is the feature for all the rooms, or just for singles. But really, won't be able to use the bathroom with ease, should there be any other persons in the room! Location-wise, the nearest MRT station is really not that near. One would have to walk alongside Clarke Quay, cross the bridge and walk somemore. There are no shuttle bus services to bring one to nearest attractions, or the shopping street of Orchard, unlike other hotels. There is, however, a shuttle bus service to Suntec City Mall, but of which is operated by Suntec, and not from the hotel. Information such as these are not easily available, and one has to specifically ask the receptionist. I find it disappointing also that there is no information file in the room, to inform of available services in the hotel. Coffee at breakfast was also the weakest coffee ever tasted; I even thought it was accidentally mixed with tea, and asked to change but alas, `coffee' of the same weak watery taste was given back to me!
I wouldnt come back again to this hotel. In Singapore there are many other better hotels to choose from.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
singapore
Reviewed December 10, 2009

it was a wonderful stay at the hotel for the two nights we stayed - a very courteous hotel with staff with good manners .keep it up!!!

• Liked — the room planning and view
  • Disliked — na
  • Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Warwickshire
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Smart new hotel, good location, reasonable price. I agree with other reviewers about lack of storage space in bedrooms, but if you're only staying a couple of nights you don't unpack much, do you? But what makes the Park really stand out is the staff - the charming Manager told us he always chooses staff "who are nicer than me" (!) On the morning of our departure, smiling chef James, having got up early to cook us omelettes at 5-30am, then helped two older ladies from our group to carry their cases out to the waiting coach. Can't see that happening in London! We'd return to the Park for the service alone!

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank Bobblenose
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I should explain my title -- I booked a deluxe river-view room at The PHCQ and found myself face-to-face with the dumpy Robertson Quay hotel where I had stayed some seven years prior.

Really can't anything bad about this property. I booked a club-level room so I got to eat my included buffet breakfast on an exclusive club-level floor -- a good thing since the lobby restaurant seemed like a bit of a zoo. The club floor also offered complimentary happy hour cocktails but I wasn't around for that.

The room was very modern if a bit small, and while the wired Internet connection worked like a charm it seemed that the flat-screen television was getting it's signal over the air from an antenna -- no matter, I didn't come to Singapore to watch TV!

If I may offer one piece of advice it would be to look beyond the hotel to get your laundry done -- the PHCQ would have charged me over $100 for a week's worth of clothes but there's a laundromat called I-CLEAN a block away (in the same complex as the Singapore Repertory Theatre) that'll do an entire load for $13.

While my stay at the PHCQ was a bit expensive they do have cheaper rates available, and I remember them being in line with other local properties.

If you can afford it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank acurrie
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 27, 2009

Great location on Robertson walk very close to Clarke Quay. Rooms are small so ideal for solo travelers but very well designed..free broadband internet,non-alcoholic drinks,laundry,breakfast, snacks, and cocktail hour included in club rooms- great deal at $150 U.S. per night. Staff very friendly and helpful and although I was late in checking out by a couple of hours they didn't charge me for an extra half day(they easily could have)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed November 22, 2009

We stayed in this hotel on our way to New Zealand and on our way back. This hotel is great, the pool is amazing, the gym brand new.
The location is very good: it is actually in Robinson Quay rather than in Clarke Quay but it wasn't a problem as we soon discover that you can easily walk to Chinatown or Orchard road in 20 minutes (it is warm outside so you don't want to walk too fast).
There is free wireless internet access across the road, outside the small shopping centre.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple