“A rare B&B in Singapore” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of L Residence

L Residence
Ranked #208 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Norfolk
“A rare B&B in Singapore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

We arrived fairly late in the evening and caught a taxi to the residence (the airport shuttles do not run to residences or B&Bs - only hotels). The house is up near the Botanical Gardens in a very pleasant residential area about 20 minutes walk from the western end of Orchard Road.

We were greeted by the owner who was very friendly and helpful with answering questions regarding location etc. The lobby is very big and spacious and nicely furnished which gives a lovely first impression. Leading off this area is the dining room and also a covered outside terrace where guests can also take breakfast. Downstairs is a lovely indoor pool for guests use (however the area around the pool seem to be a bit of a storage area with boxes and spare furniture stacked about).

Our room - The Oriental Pearl Suite - was very spacious and nicely furnished with a four poster bed (with another one which we weren't expecting - however, this would be a good family room). The bathroom had a lovely rain shower and guest toiletries provided. Whilst our room was perfectly comofable the photos on the website do portray a VERY luxurious view of the rooms.

A personal breakfast menu is provided every day for guests to choose from a good selection of western and Asian foods on a tick box system (ie, egss, pancakes, noodles, fruit etc). This sometimes ended up with some strange combinations on one plate but overall the breakfasts were good.

All in all a lovely small B&B hidden away in the vast hotel saturated metropolis of Singapore. Recommended.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank CAQ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

First the not so good:
1 We booked 9 months in advance and the full amount was charged at that point to my credit card - when I queried it I was told it was their policy
2 A few days before we were due to depart (from Malaysia to Singapore) we tried calling them - message said "incoming calls blocked". So we went to their website to see if we could find another number or email - website was down - message said domain name not renewed.
3 I rang Singapore Tourist people who told me L Residence was not registered with them and they could do nothing

The good news:
1 We needed have worried - on arriving in Singapore the owner was warm and friendly - their site had crashed.
2 Location is great (if you want to stay a bit out). Near to excellent buses and a short walk to the Botanical Gardens which are magnificent
3 I got food poisoning (from a meal at The Wine Company) and the Flipino cook and housekeeper at L Residence could not have been more supportive and helpful.

So to summarise - yes this is different: its in a really upmarket residential area and yes there is building work going on up the road though it did not affect us or me when I spent a day in bed. Its a bit faded but has charm and character unlike many of the other hotels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Pyecombe
Ubud, Indonesia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

booked a room online got even a discount it all sounded to be very good, but went wrong upon arriving, house keeping had left my windows in the room open and it was full of mosquitos, the a/c was placed in such an awkward position that outlet would blow straight onto your bed.
breakfast was finished and not available anymore, there is a huge construction going on next door which wakes you up at 7am.

all in all staff was not very helpful i would not recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Deepsapphyr
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

+ Deco: Rustic, lux retro feel

+Room: Spacious, well lit, beautiful furnitures with media entertainment neccessities thrown in (40+ inch LCDs, cable tv, ample channels to surf, media player)

+Breakfast mostly wonderful, curry is especially good

+Pool & Patio provides another theme of entertainment

-only breakfast is served, stock up if you are the consistently muching type

-location calls for personal transportation means, granting stone throw's driving distance to major spots, likes of Botanic Garden & orchard road

-plenty of room for improvement in cleanliness, rooms are well maintained though

=Great big ticks for its exclusive special charm the main reason for returning again & again

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sati1981
Apex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2009

Its like being at home while travelling. My recommended place to stay in Singapore without any doubt. The owners are wonderful, the staff very helpful and friendly. A wonderful enchanting house, full of chinese artifacts that will blow ones mind. The rooms are spacious and always clean. They give you the run of the house as though it were your own.

Secure, safe and the best place to stay while in Singapore. Quiet, sometimes no one around but that makes it even more homely.

Want to experience the best family and residence while in Singapore, then look no further (I know, I have tried most of the Singapore hotels and homes and this one is outstanding for home from home feeling).

Oh and FREE internet service in your room, 24/7 for those who need it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank BASUK1997
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

Originally read about L Residence on Trip Advisor, and as frequent visitors to Singapore, my 13 year old son and I thought it would be nice to stay here for a change instead of going to a hotel. Wise choice, we absolutely loved it! It is located in a quiet upmarket residential area just north of Orchard Road, only a 10 minute bus ride away. The residence is so incredibly quiet and peaceful, and we were grateful for that after the hussle and bustle of all the busy roads outside, our room became our sanctuary.

As soon as we walked into the residence for the first time, we thought WOW! The place is just full of the most amazing Chinese antiques, and guests have a complete run of the house (mansion) and it has such a warm, welcoming atmosphere, we really did feel like we were at home, not just as guests but very welcome ones. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, although we tried not to bother them too much. Other than constantly having to be let in as we couldn't get the hang of where to put the swipe card on the security panel!

The rooms are very comfortable indeed, they are really mini-suites, as there is a little lounge area as well as bedroom and bathroom. There was a small bar fridge (empty), huge lcd tv on the wall opposite the bed with cable tv, dvd player, and nice and quiet air conditioning. Our bed was a king size bed, made up as one bed, but it was actually 2 comfortable singles together. The bathroom was not overly large, but had 2 basins, and toiletries provided were not the usual silly little things hotels love to provide, but real family-size bottles of shower gel, shampoo, hand soap. Also toothbrushes and toothpaste, and spray cologne. Was surprised to see a bidet! Huge shower head over the bath. The bath itself was quite high, and could be difficult for someone with less mobility to climb in and out of perhaps, and it would also be easy to slip after a shower, as no anti-slip mat was provided.

There is a wide variety of food available for breakfast, and a menu is slipped under the door of your room every afternoon so that it can be completed and left outside again at night for the staff to collect ready for the morning. The food is not cooked until you are in the dining room, so that it is nice and fresh. Good choices of western, Asian or Indian foods, and HUGE portions! If I had one complaint, it would be that the fruit juices on offer - orange, grape or apple - are not fresh but canned.

Considering Singapore is an expensive city for hotels, we thought the price for our room was very reasonable. We booked quite a few months in advance and were offered an "early bird" rate of $150 pn including breakfast, but some rooms are bigger than others, so I think the rate might depend on which room you are in?

All in all, we had a wonderful time and would definitely stay again, it would be like returning to old friends. Thanks to Clarence, Shanti and Lily for everything.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank PoliPerth
Shanghai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2009

We got very bad experience.

When I booked the facility I got immediately the feedback to provide my credit card details. After I submitted all details nothing happened. I sent reminders, nothing happened. I called and after many failed attempts and long waiting time a pretty helpless receptionist picked the phone (my 8 years old daughter would be more talkative). This person promised me than to send a confirmation immediately. Guess what, nothing happened until I wrote a serious request for confirmation. We finally got the booking confirmation that the desired room is booked for the period we requested together with a description of the way to the Lewis Road (we have this all in written).

Unfortunately when I arrived with my family, tired after a long flight, I was left helpless back in the lobby room with a strange feeling that something is going terribly wrong. No comment from the receptionist, nothing until I got serious (loud) and asked why I can’t see my room.
The receptionist, a shy and helpless person, talked to the owner outside in another room that we could not catch the situation, we were simply left ignored.
When I finally could talk to the owner I just a lapidary comment, that obviously something went wrong. No apology, no owner coming on site to talk with his frustrated guests, a completely unusual and for Singapore unexpected embarrassing situation.

Still today no apology from the owner (he has my e-mail), it confirms a hopeless lack of professionalism.

A taxi driver which came by chance along helped us to get a hotel. After all we wasted a lot of time, got frustrated and paid for the unexpected hotel we had to take a tremendous additional charge.

I am going to claim to the Singapore Tourism Board, such hostile behavior is certainly not in their mind.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family