“Very good location, very good service”

Ibis Singapore on Bencoolen
Ranked #64 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Very good location, very good service”
Reviewed November 30, 2010

We found the hotel to be very clean. Everything was absolutely perfect. Room service was timely. The rooms could have been a little bigger but just for the two of us, it was ok. The breakfast hours were extensive. The hotel staff was very friendly and helped us out when my wife had to visit the hospital due to an allergy. The location of this hotel is a very big plus. We will definately consider IBIS during our next visit to singapore

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I'm a big fan of the Ibis chain for their generally great locations and pricing. Ibis Bencoolen is a new hotel, unfortunately the staff they hired are appaulingly rude.

I've had two stays in this hotel within the last month for 3-4 days each stay. Both make me question why I bother booking through Advantage Plus. On the more recent stay, we'd asked for a Queen bed room, which was aavailable when we booked it on the Advantage Plus website, but they'd allocated that room to a walk in instead of locking it out (the point of paying for it via the Advantage Plus website).

When confronted, the staff said that they would just give us a twin share room (the two single beds pushed together). This really isn't a big deal, but for a young, active couple, it is. Secondly, we booked the queen bed. Why was it given to a walk in?

The attitude of the staff the next day when we requested to speak with the Front Office Manager was basically well the staff told you they'd just give you the twin share room. Seriously? A manager gives you that response? I know what they said, but why did it happen when the booking clearly said (that they had a copy of) we'd booked and paid for a queen bed.

Both stays have left a stain on us as service is important, more than the room quality. If the management of this Ibis would put as much effort into look and feel of the hotel as they did for the selection of the staff, this would be a great place. The rudeness and arrogance of most of the staff is big let down for this hotel.

The rooms are great though, well laid out and everything you need feature wise (including free internet). As long as the end to end reservation is fine, and you don't need to deal with the staff, it's a great place to stay. Due to the service and the price (very expensive for Ibis), you'd be better off paying a few dollars extra to stay at Novotel, which is what we will be doing on our next stay.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
manila, philippines
Reviewed November 30, 2010

we just came home from our singapore holiday and were excited to post our review given that we had such a pleasant time in hotel ibis on bencoolen.

the location was perfect. 5 mins on foot to the mrt, 15-20 minutes to orchard road, 10 minutes to little india. everything was very very easy to get to. there was also a hawker place (albert center) just around the corner which, after sampling a few others, we realized was quite cheap (braised duck noodles for SG$2).

the staff was quite efficient and friendly, dispensing honest advice about currency exchange rates and perhaps getting better rates on agoda. they were most helpful even when i had to book a last minute hotel room elsewhere (ibis was already full when we suddenly had to extend one more night).

i was reading comments about the size of the room. yes, it isn't big - especially if you're caucasian, but it's not cramped at all and makes very clever use of space. we were moving quite freely around the room.

we got a room with a queen bed at around US$80/night which, in our opinion, was a steal given everything.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 29, 2010

I always try to find that sweet spot where the value you get for the money you spend leaves you satisfied. Singapore was hard as hotels here are more expensive than other Asian destinations. Last time in Singapore we were with out two adult children and stayed at the Grand Cairnhill with a two bedroom apartment. This time however it was just the wife and I.
I booked through "OTEL.COM" and the cost was a bit under $150 Australian. The deal worked in my favor as they deal in Euros and the Australian dollar was so strong.
The hotel was busy, very busy, but the staff were fast and efficient. We were there a couple of hours early and I was ready to have to put our bags aside and wander off for the couple of hours. However the room was ready and within 2 to 3 minutes we were in our room. Not sure if they have a porter but we took our own bags to our room.
When we wanted to go on a tour we simply asked the reception staff and they arranged them. If they couldn't do it at the time because there are minimum numbers needed for tours they would follow it up and leave a message in your room or phone you when it was done.
The room itself is small with wood look laminate floors and the bathroom is very small and can only take one person at a time. The water was hot and strong.
The fridge is a baby which can only hold about 6 cans and there is only a small space to hang clothes. Now you might think that I am going negative about this but the room is clean, neat and modern. The wife and I both loved it. The mattress had the usual hardness that they have in hotels but although I have a bad back and neck I slept quite well, in fact as well as I have slept anywhere in the numerous Asian destinations that I have visited.
We also liked the location and you can even walk to the Raffles but I would recommend an "as the crow flies" route as you then go through shopping complexes which keeps you cool. Little India and Bugis Street and very short walks away, as is the the SIM complex (electronics). There are two SIMS buildings, the closest one is much bigger and the one I refer to.
The room also had internet which came in very handy due to a sick animal at home and getting updates etc.
The breakfast was a very good selection and the eating area was clean and modern. In the photos I was worried that it looked a bit like a cheap cafe. I was wrong as the area is perfectly done with a modern look. We chose to eat breakfast outside the main breakfast area as we sat by the window watching the "world go by".
We also ate in this area in the evening and the food was wonderful. Whilst you can try food in Little India or Bugis Street the quality of the food at the Hotel was vastly superior and although more expensive they were better size servings.
I don't believe that the hotel has a poll but in all the hotels I have been to I have only been in the pool once which was in Thailand.
My overall thought about this hotel.........FANTASTIC.
We still have things to tick off our Singapore list of "things to do" and will definately stay at this hotel again. If this is the standard you get with IBIS then I will also look at them in other destinations.

1 Thank Lionel W
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 29, 2010

good budget business hotel in singapore with convenient location

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Mumbai
Reviewed November 27, 2010

IBIS Hotel: Benibis Singapore on Bencoolen- Good Budget Hotel To Stay For Short Business Purpose
Date: 15-17 November 2010

Our Company has booked for all our collegues coming for various countries for 3 days stay . Saw the review of the hotel and it was by most of the people that it is good business hotel.

I Have stayed in Many Hotels in Singapore but this one is little bit different as it is "mostly" suitable for business people who are coming for a short business trip and who are not willing to spend some leasure time in hotel and coming a lone or with friends.

People at the reception, room service and booking desk are generous and open minded. The hotel doesnt have a swimming pool , Gymnasium.

Services include Wi-Fi , Good Restaurants.(Dont Expect any Indian food pls) and Spacious and clean rooms.

The room I stayed is spacious and pretty, the complimentary breakfast is good (again no Indian food pls.) and the location of the hotel is in the heart of city with nearest place
of attaraction is Orchard Road & Little India.

For my next business meeting i would definetely consider staying in IBIS hotel. But definetely wouldnt consider when Im coming with my Family.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business