“Very old hotel but good location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Royal Singapore

Hotel Royal Singapore
Ranked #240 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Brisbane, Australia
“Very old hotel but good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed here from 29th-today (1st October)
Our first impression was old an outdated. We had a family room with double and single.
The bed was comfy.The shower was in the bath.The bathroom flooded with water.
The tv didn't work well. The quilt cover was stained. The reception staff don't understand enough English!

The Rickshaw food was very bland and not worth the $50 paid.

Overall, it wasnt bad but it wasnt good either!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
East End, Honduras
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were put on the 8th floor. 3 adults. When we opened the door the stale smoke smell was overwhelming. Then we saw there were only 2 single beds. They didn't have another room for us so brought a cot. Which lead us to have to walk over beds to get around the room. Upon complaining again in the morning we were moved to the 13th floor that was renovated. Was like walking into another hotel! Internet is $8.60 an hour for 1 device. Upon check out Harry informed me since booking.com booked with someone else's credit card I had to pay and he would refund booking.com. Harry locked us in the office until I signed the credit card slip. This was the most absolute disgrace of any business practice and customer service that I have ever had.

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
hoi an
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed here on a $1 Singapore airlines stopover and wasn't expecting much after reading some of the reviews. However, we were quite happy overall as the hotel is modern and welcoming.It is situated on Newton Rd near the Newton Circus food markets that are alright to explore.Down the road to theVelocity shopping plaza and easy access to anywhere via the MTR .The Rooms are large,clean,we'll appointed and quiet.Couldnt want for too much really.Would recommend based on our experience. Beds are firm without a top sheet which isn't my preference.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kawanakids
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I booked for two nights in early Sept, then read the reviews. So I was apprehension about what I would find, I shouldn't have read the reviews, the hotel was great, my reception couldn't have been better. When you are tired after a long flight, you just want to get through the reception process quickly with no hassles and thats how it was for me.
Room was large, 14th floor, I couldn't fault it
My flight out 2 days later was a late one, check in at the airport was early evening, not sure if it was the manager at the reception that I spoke to, but a late check out was not a problem.
I never got the hang of the bus system, so would walk to the metro near Newton circus, no more than ten to fifteen minutes away.
So my experiences were all good!
Yes, I will book here again on my return trip in October.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The first room allocated to us on the 12th floor (my wife and daughter with me) was abysmal. The air conditioning wasn't working, room of poor quality and the bathroom below par. After I spoke with the Duty Manager Harry, we were moved to the 14th floor and feels like you checked in to a totally different hotel. I must admit Harry went out of his way to make everything was alright I commend him for this. The staff overall were very good except maybe the room steward English can be better. It took 2 days for them to give us the correct amount of towels require in the room. Reception staff service overall is good however it maybe better if everyone is fluent in English. Swimming pool is quite good however little more renovation be better. Location is very good as close walking distance to the Novena MRT station approximately 5 minutes depending on how fast you walk.

Room Tip: definitely insist on staying on the higher floors ie: 13th onwards. rooms are renovated and air-cond...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Conrado V
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was there with a bunch of fellow performers who have apparently been staying there each year for the kite festivals. After reading some of the other reviews here I was nervous as some of them were quite scathing, but I had no problems at all. It is a little dated- no extractor fans in the bathroom- Internet facilities reminded me of ten years ago where you either go to the foyer for super slow emailing or paying for it in your room.

The room itself was completely comfortable and quiet, nice sheets and no bed bugs (!!) like another review said. Shower/bath clean and nice and hot. The air con was on the whole time, but I didn't feel like I needed to adjust it at all- the perfect temperature- a relief from the 100% humidity and 36 degrees C outside, and not freezing like some places.

Lastly, I loved the restaurant, staff offering help to the ignorant westerner that I am on which Asian dish goes well with what :-) the seafood laksa really hit the spot.

I've left the "value" spot I filled as my employer paid for it :-)

Staff friendly and accommodating. Thanks Hotal Royal, I'll be happy to come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Very efficient reception Charges for Wi-Fi Very old rooms inefficient air conditioning Hair in the bath and all over the bathroom floor Stale smell in the room I will definitely not be coming back avoid

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business