“I thought the hotel was great”

Hotel Royal Singapore
Ranked #243 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I booked for two nights in early Sept, then read the reviews. So I was apprehension about what I would find, I shouldn't have read the reviews, the hotel was great, my reception couldn't have been better. When you are tired after a long flight, you just want to get through the reception process quickly with no hassles and thats how it was for me.
Room was large, 14th floor, I couldn't fault it
My flight out 2 days later was a late one, check in at the airport was early evening, not sure if it was the manager at the reception that I spoke to, but a late check out was not a problem.
I never got the hang of the bus system, so would walk to the metro near Newton circus, no more than ten to fifteen minutes away.
So my experiences were all good!
Yes, I will book here again on my return trip in October.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 17, 2013

The first room allocated to us on the 12th floor (my wife and daughter with me) was abysmal. The air conditioning wasn't working, room of poor quality and the bathroom below par. After I spoke with the Duty Manager Harry, we were moved to the 14th floor and feels like you checked in to a totally different hotel. I must admit Harry went out of his way to make everything was alright I commend him for this. The staff overall were very good except maybe the room steward English can be better. It took 2 days for them to give us the correct amount of towels require in the room. Reception staff service overall is good however it maybe better if everyone is fluent in English. Swimming pool is quite good however little more renovation be better. Location is very good as close walking distance to the Novena MRT station approximately 5 minutes depending on how fast you walk.

Room Tip: definitely insist on staying on the higher floors ie: 13th onwards. rooms are renovated and air-cond...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Conrado V
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was there with a bunch of fellow performers who have apparently been staying there each year for the kite festivals. After reading some of the other reviews here I was nervous as some of them were quite scathing, but I had no problems at all. It is a little dated- no extractor fans in the bathroom- Internet facilities reminded me of ten years ago where you either go to the foyer for super slow emailing or paying for it in your room.

The room itself was completely comfortable and quiet, nice sheets and no bed bugs (!!) like another review said. Shower/bath clean and nice and hot. The air con was on the whole time, but I didn't feel like I needed to adjust it at all- the perfect temperature- a relief from the 100% humidity and 36 degrees C outside, and not freezing like some places.

Lastly, I loved the restaurant, staff offering help to the ignorant westerner that I am on which Asian dish goes well with what :-) the seafood laksa really hit the spot.

I've left the "value" spot I filled as my employer paid for it :-)

Staff friendly and accommodating. Thanks Hotal Royal, I'll be happy to come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Very efficient reception Charges for Wi-Fi Very old rooms inefficient air conditioning Hair in the bath and all over the bathroom floor Stale smell in the room I will definitely not be coming back avoid

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my partner for a 2 night stop-over en route to Australia, upon arrival the reception team seemed stressed as we politely waited to be checked in. The main foyer was quite nice with a little water feature but as we ascended to our 13th floor room there was a weird smell throughout which carried in to our room, but you get used to that!

From the foyer upwards the hotel is dated and in need of a revamp-our room included, the rooms were massive and far bigger than we needed but did seem old and worn out. The bathroom was the same and in the mornings the bathroom ceiling was dripping presumably from upstairs' shower. But that aside the staff were reasonably helpful, beds were comfy and the location of the hotel is good, we walked to both Newton and Novena metro stations and found Novena was both easier to access and quicker (crossing the newton circus roundabout is a nightmare), the metro is so cheap and the easiest way to get around. We went to the Newton circus food court just a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel which was cheap, good food and a good experience. The swimming pool was nice, and a good way to cool down after a humid Singapore day! Also, no free WI-FI you can buy it but its ridiculously expensive! (Starbucks around the city have free WI-FI so use that if you need to use maps etc!)

Overall, the hotel is nothing special but perfectly situated to explore the delights of Singapore.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank niccabeccaglory
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The rooms are very comfortable and the staff is very helpful. One my first three days my air conditioning did not work when i reported it to the front desk they moved me to another room and it was with good air conditioning. The breakfast buffet is a little pricey 24 dollars per person but the restaurant was very clean and staff was very accommodating.

Room Tip: There are two buildings the one with the front desk is the original building the other building with...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have been staying in this hotel since 1993 on our regular Singapore trips. This hotel just got OLD.

Positives:

- Excellent location - 7 min walk to Novena Square. Close to MRT, ATMs and Food court
- Bus stop right out side the hotel
- Clean neighbourhood
- Average quiet rooms
- Spacious rooms
- We stayed in room 1618 with my 1.8 year daughter. I requested higher floor and crib/cot for baby - both were fulfilled.
- Washroom was clean and spacious with Tub and shower combo
- View from room was not great - it looked into some high-rise condos
- Good tv channels - with news, sports, soaps and movies

Negatives

- Old hotel - with some floors showing dew build up on false ceiling
- Air is very stale - I think Singapore Health authorities must check it - i was worried for my daughter
- Staff is slow and not very helpful. I asked a guy to schedule a wake up call - he took the details and never scheduled it
- English is bit lacking as well - I requested for an early morning cab - staff at the front desk told me that cab will call my room - waited 30 mins for that call and call back front-desk he denied saying that
- There was 12:00 AM daily call - i requested front desk to give me list of wake up calls scheduled for my rooms - there was not any 12:00 AM call listed - but i continue to get that 12:00 AM call - very very very annoying

Would not recommend it ... Would not stay here again

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family