“Could do with a face lift”

Hotel Royal Singapore
Ranked #244 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here for one night as part of the SIA holdiay package so no cost to me, it is my second stay and it certainly wouldn't be my choice if I had to pay.
The hotel is accessible to most of the tourist spots via the MRT which is close by.
Breakfast was included and catered for both Europeans and Asians, it gets very crowded but there is plenty to eat.
Front office staff were pleasant and efficient.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Veronica V
There are newer reviews for Hotel Royal Singapore

Reviewed September 20, 2012

2 stars because of our experience was like a mixed bag...... I had no option but to stay in this hotel for 3 months due to some un-explainable circumstances, (and i reluctantly did). Singapore is not exactly the place one would expect quality hotels at a good price (my experience) and I would not recommend this place unless you have no option.

Positives:
1. Location is far from the bustling Singapore or downtown, but is a very good one with MRT and bus access to most of the places visited.
2.Supplies of bathroom accessories (soap, shampoo, brush, paste, tissues, etc) was in abundance. Same applies to tea/coffee making facilities. I guess this was because we stayed for a long duration.
3. Though people wrote reviews about it being a Chinese brothel and all such stuff, I found only a dancing bar with scantly dressed women. But this is a common sight in many hotels. And these people were limited to the first floor. So, not much to moan about it.
4. LCD TV was good, some channels available for occasional time pass.
5. Friendly bell boys and good receptionists (well, most of them atleast),
6. Laundry facilities (washing machine & dryer) available if you want to do laundry by yourself @ 12 SGD on the 4th floor.
7. Gym available with minimum equipments.
8. Relatively big rooms with iron box, weighing machine, coat racks, mini fridge, umbrella, etc.

Negatives (too many):
1. Very old building and furniture.
2. Dusty curtains and creaky doors.
3. No isolation between two rooms. neighbors conversation can be heard in your room. Best option would be to select the room on the end corridor so that you have to listen to only neighbor.
4. Horrible A/Cs (on some floors) with water dripping out of them at times.
5. Some hotel members are so annoying that if you ask them anything, they either ignore it or run away.
6. WiFi is very costly and very slow (around 27 SGD per day, or if you are staying for a long time like me, 120 SGD per month). The reason they give is that many people use it. But when I argue with them saying I have paid for it and is not charity that they are doing, they say "that is how the hotel is"...... No wired internet is available.
7. We had to change the room twice because of the A/C problems. You need to fight a lot for this (if only I had an option to stay at another place......)
8. The definition of "quality" leaves you shocked when you see that this hotel has certificates from ISO.....! I guess any hotel can "buy" even ISO certificates nowadays.....! Worst part is, you can find this on the list of "Singapore Airlines Stop over hotels".

The hotel needs a major revamp, but still I am surprised to see that many visitors flock to this place daily (I guess most of them are from sports tour groups, or other tourist groups).

Room Tip: If possible, avoid this hotel :). If you have no option (like me), the following could be suggested...
3  Thank Karthik R
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I knew I wasn't going to stay in a 5 star hotel and wasn't expecting one. The stay was more like a 2 1/2 star experience. The first thing my children and husband noticed was the dampness of the rooms, both ours and our children's. My undergarments that I washed, took over 2 days to dry! The air-conditioner was noisy and the carpet was old and grubby and needs replacing ASAP.
Well, there are some positve feedback on this site regarding the staff, I'm afraid I can't say the same. They were't rude, but they weren't warm and friendly either.
I am giving it 3 stars instead of 2 because of the location, the rooms were cleaned daily and it was quiet where we stayed.

3  Thank Nyonya28
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I really wanted somewhere nice to spend the last couple of nights on our holiday. Somewhere not overly expensive and was not really bothered with location as anywhere is accessible in Singapore. The room didn't disappoint. large and with a separate lounge area. Don't look too closely as there were bits of skirting board missing in places.
The pool, the main thing I was looking for, was a waste of space as there are only a few plastic seats, it looked largely neglected which is a shame as it could have been lovely. Next time I will go for a cheap hotel without a pool and visit Sentosa's beaches which were surprisingly brilliant and free!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank james m
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We arrived after staying in a gorgeous resort in Thailand to this hotel and were really disappointed. Straight away we could smell cigarette smoke in the room, and the curtains smelt so badly that we could not use the bed nearest the window. The bath had a big crack across it and leaked all over the bathroom floor. Although we had booked for three people we had to request towels, cups etc for the third person as they only catered for two. Fortunately we only had two nights in this hotel, otherwise we would not have stayed. On the positive side, the staff were friendly and they held our bags until 6pm when we were leaving for the airport.

Room Tip: Not sure about the other rooms.
3  Thank TimandDianne R
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were concerned about this hotel due to reviews on Triadvisor but were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were of a very good size. They easily fitted our family of 4 with a queen, single and even with the trundle bed added at no extra cost. Everything you needed including iron was in the room. The bus stop outside the hotel is frequent and convenient. It takes you about 5 stops to a great Hawker Centre with yummy traditional food. The pool was clean with extra towels. It is within walking distance of Novena MRT and shopping plaza. We enjoyed our stay and would stay again...To be honest, I don't know what all the whinging was about on this site???

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank martysooty
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We spent a night here in March 2012 and returned for a few more in April 2012 . The hotel is one of the reasonably priced hotels for families in Singapore. The room was huge with twin beds and a roll out bed for our son . A lounge and large TV with satellite TV. Room service meal were limited but with Singapore having so much good cheap food we werent fussed. The bathroom was large and the whole room was clean. The housekeeping staff were very friendly and they handed in a hat we left behind and were able to pick it up when we got back a week later. Only downside was that internet access had to be bought separately - it wasnt overly expensive just inconvenient. But the price of the room and the size and comfort far outweighed this inconvenience. Taxis were extremely cheap and easy to get out the front in the driveway of the hotel - the hotel had a flashing light that taxis could see when driving past and pull in so you didnt even have to go out onto the street. There was a bus stop right outside the hotel but taxis were so cheap that for three of us they were cheaper than public transport to the tourist spots.The hotel had a pool that was a decent size but rather bland surrounds - we didnt have a swim but it looked very nice. The hotel was happy to keep luggage for us after check out and before we went to the airport. There was a huge shopping complex about 5 minutes walk away.Breakfast buffet had very good variety but was fairly expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for the family rooms at the end of the corridor as you dont hear your neighbors and they were h...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family