WINNER WONDERLAND

and 1 more site!
98SG
Ranked #170 of 219 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Jakarta, Indonesia
“easy access and cheap hostel among others”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

its our first time to Singapore on Oct 2011, we just need a cheap hostel with easy access to everywhere, nothing more, so we book 2 nights at 98SG. And yes its very close to MRT Aljunied, closed to Halal Restaurant too, its important for us. But you can't find the hostel from the road, its at second floor, we meet kay the manager, and she gave us two dorm for 8 of us. The room was clean, there's a safe locker inside, the kitchen and toilet shared together, free breakfast too. Don't hope so much hospitality from Kay, she talk only when needed and she's got angry all the time if we mesh up the kitchen and play internet till late night. The good think, there's a message chair for us to relax after hanging around Singapore. the wifi was bad..we can't connect at all...glad there's a free PC to connect, but you have to line up with others..

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank dhe_mulyani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first
Bern, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

My gf and I stayed there for two nights. Kay the owner/manager is very rude, unfriendly and unprofessional. You are not allowed to turn on a light (!) after 11pm otherwise the "lady" yells at you. The rooms are small, smelly and fairly clean. The bathroom and shower facility are very tiny and dirty. The common area are kinda nice but since there are no desk its a mess because guest leave there bags there before check in or checkout. Breakfast is nothing more than bread and jam with instant coffee. I rather pay a bit than having a "free" breakfast. The location is ok since its next to the train. I never ever going back there and I promised myself to write a review to warn other travellers from this place. You don't want to yelled at like a little boy at your vacation/trip. It's a horrible hostel.

Room Tip: Check the mattress to see if there are bedbugs
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Marc2012_12

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

I was surprised that the hostel had no front desk. What greeted us was a telephone pinned outside the door and a post saying we should call a certain number before we could check in. After calling the number, the staff came over to assist with the reservation. We arrived at 12PM. We were informed that the check in time is at 2PM. This would have been trouble if it wasn't for the fact that we had to leave to meet a friend. We just left our luggage and came back at 3PM when our rooms were ready. I have no complaints regarding privacy because I knew that I had booked at a hostel and if I wanted some privacy and quiet, I would have booked at a hotel. The hostel provided us lockers to safe-keep our valuable things from potential thieves. Breakfast was free up to 10AM daily. The menu: coffee, milo, cereals, strawberry jam, bread, margarine, milk. The sleep quality was okay for me. The sheets seemed clean. The hostel seemed clean but was filled with clutter. The bathrooms and toilets were almost always wet because people keep on coming and going but at least it gets dried out on mornings. Had an experience with a brief hanging on the bathroom wall for 2 days, I ignored it but it feel down the floor and I had to pick it up (eww) to hang it back to the hook. I reported it to the hostel staff and he threw it away. The most special thing about it was we met people from England, Indonesia, India, Myanmar, China, Korea and some fellow Filipinos. The atmosphere was friendly and we felt at home. WIFI was fast. Geylang was known as the red light district but we didn't have a problem with that. We actually enjoyed the many delicious and cheap food choices available around the area. Can't complain since the stay was only for USD13 per person per night. Overall, we had an average stay in 98SG.

Room Tip: They offer 4 beds and 6 beds. I think 6 beds can be more chaotic so if you may, choose the 4 beds do...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vernarie
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

If you have an enemy recomend this place and for sure you will get even. Stayed here this march 2012 with my gf. Place is so crowded and you can't even move. No privacy at all and worst, one of their staff is a thief. "SHE" tried to steal the bag of my gf hide it under the foam bed. Very noisy at night and you can't even have a good sleep. No one to welcome you upon your arrival. You have to call through the phone for your check-in. There is no assurance that you and your friend or family will stay in one room. Free breakfast is just coffee and bread so dont expect anything. Totally disapointing!

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Vincekin
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

Budget accommodation in Singapore. Just 100 meters from Aljunied MRT station. Very near to hawker's food stalls. Free wifi and internet facilities. Air conditioned rooms with common CR / Shower Rooms.

Will stay again with 98SG on our next visit to Singapore.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Wellington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

We had initially planned to stay three nights here as it was cheap and located next to an MRT. We later decided we would treat ourselves to a night at the Marina Bay Sands and so I emailed to cancel the third night, no response received to email, and when I turned up she was going to still charge us as we hadn't given notice, but I pointed out I emailed and so she waived that. We weren't greeted with a "hello" or "Welcome to Singapore" but a dingy door and stairwell (no reception area or desk) and then a sign saying to call a number to check-in - excellent if you haven't got a local SIM card...

After using the doorbell, one of the other guests eventually let us in and we used expensive roaming charges to call the owner (from upstairs) who proceeded to complain that we had not turned up on time - surely she'd expect flexibility given airlines run to a schedule of their own!

A 10 percent service charge was levied (what service?), and a $50(!!!) deposit was required for the room key. The rooms were standard hostel fare, but the living areas were full of junk and not comfortable at all. Lights out was at 10pm (although this wasn't enforced judging by the two children running around screaming), but the walls were paper thin so ear plugs are a must! The showers were over the toilets and there were no bath mats, just towels on the floor (towels are $3ea to hire!), and the linen was lamentable (recommend sleeping bag).

The few pluses were the location and the free wi-fi worked perfectly for me. However all this was overcast by the utter rudeness of the owner, so much so that we forfeited our second night there and paid hundreds of dollars more for an extra night at the Marina Bay Sands.

I've stayed in some pretty awful hostels, but this takes the cake. Would not recommend this place to my worst enemy!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank NoAngelNZ
Travelling!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

Some reviews here talk about the rudeness of the staff. I do not think she is rude as much as her English is limited and she can come across very blunt. In fact we stayed here nine nights and found her very pleasent.
The breakfast is basic but good and although it is a bit out of the city it has a great transport link in that the MRT is right on the doorstep. Being a bit out of the city is a bit more relaxing that always being in the hussle and bustle and the food in the markets here is cheaper too. A kitchen that we could use would have been better. I would defo come back here

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple