“Mixed Feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 226 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Seremban, Malaysia
“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Having previously stayed at the Rucksack Inn @ Hong Kong Street, this sister property had my expectations on high. The one @HK street was full, so chose here instead. Staff was friendly and accommodating, rooms ( I stayed in the 12 ppl room w/ 4 other ppl) had unique wall designs, location right in the middle of Chinatown, which was fantastic.

However, the Wifi was only average, since it was semi strong on the ground floor, it was poorer when we were up in the rooms.

I found it very inconvenient that the toilets are separated from the shower area, which we needed to go through coded door lock to get there. God only knows what would happen if "nature calls" and we forgot the code. Certain shower stalls were smaller in size. I guess I can understand with space constraints.

The common area was certainly not equip for dinning purposes, since there is no dining table, only a few couches... kinda awkward when there's a lot of ppl there at once.

There wasn't much space to put our things. No small shelf attached to the wall next to bed (like the other Rucksack Inn) to put my glasses or contact lenses. Lockers (forgot if needed to pay or just deposit) available, but wasn't that close to the room so didn't want to use it....

The Rucksack Inn @HK street had much better facilities in terms of Dinning, shower/toilet, WIFI, & room. I guess I'm torn in this review. Overall, just average...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RucksackInnTemSt, General Manager at Beds and Dreams Inn @ ChinaTown, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your time to write this review as we appreciate all feedback from our guests. We’re happy to hear that your previous experience at our other branch gave you a lasting impression to want to return to us again. However, please allow me to explain our reasons for the items you raised. Our showers and toilets are separated to upkeep the cleanliness of the toilets so that guests will always have a nice, clean dry floor when using the loos. The codes to the toilets allows us to upkeep the cleanliness so that non in-house guests do not abuse the use of our clean bathrooms. As for the Wifi, we apologize for the inconvenience that day as we were upgrading our internet to a more reliable fibre optic high speed connection. Last but not least the layout of our dining and seating area was designed to encourage guests to mingle with each other at our benches and coffee tables situated at the entrance of our Inn. Once again, thank you for your time to write a review and we wish you safe travels and we look forward to having you with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

If you looking for an afordable hostel with good services and ambience and coziness, this is the best place for you. The price is good. The room is rather small but still comfortable. Very clean bathroom and toilet. Good ambience. Many people from around the world, and all of them is backpacker. Nice service and friendly receiptionist. Good internet and many other facility like, library, playstation, computer, etc.
Very highly recommended!!! 5 stars hostel!

Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Every year I went to Singapore I chose Rucksack Inn, because the staff is very nice and I can meet another traveler, the location is excellent just few minutes walk to China Town MRT, there is a lot off restaurant around the hotel, if i go to Singapore again I will stay at Rucksack Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank studioten
Paddington, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

The place was way beyond what I expected from a dorm. The rooms were always clean, the staff were great and they go way past the mile. What I loved most was their washing service. I had two bags of washing done in a three hour turnaround for S$8/ea. Macs are available for internet access and wifi is all around the dorms, same goes with powerpoints. Highly recommended for anyone who is looking for great place with close transport and little money to spend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Impeccably clean.
Mac computers available for free use.
Common room with with free bread and coffee and tv.
Probably among the cheapest dorm room in Singapore.
Convenient location next to the subway and shuttle buses available to local attractions and the airport.

Room Tip: 12 man dorms are cheaper than 6 man mostly fan cooling but rooms dont get too warm.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nanjing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is my first time to go to Singapore.
Honestly, the location and the transportation of rucksack inn are so convenient.
There is direct shuttle bus from Changi airport to rucksack inn. The bus drops you directly at the doorway of rucksack inn and it runs 24/7, which only costs 9 dollars. I arrived at Changi airport at 2:00 am. The shuttle bus was still running and the driver was so friendly that he introduced the city as he drived all the way to the inn.
The location is great, close to MRT Chinatown within 2 min walk. A lot of dining places nearby, a 7-11 downstairs and a supermarket in Chinatown which is not far away.
The hostel smells good. The room is clean though a little bit small. The toilet is very clean. Lockers are placed at the corridor with 20 dollars deposit for each.
The staff is very friendly. A girl staff showed me around the hostel the first day I checked in, and told me how to use the facilites. There is no worries if your English is not so good as there is staff who can speak fluent Chinese. considering the price, it is a good chioce for backpackers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank joytiny
Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

It was very enjoyable to stay in this place due to it's near by the MRT and Shopping Center around Chinatown!!
I stayed here for 3 days with my 5 another friends.
This hotel is convenient and recommended for you guys as a backpacker.
I booked the mixed dorm with 12 beds inside. Honestly, when I booked this room I was doubt whether this would be safe or not (sorry because this was my first time to stayed in mixed dorm). But in fact, it was safe actually!
They have a clean toilet and shower.
Will definitely stay here again if I visit to Singapore again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends