“One for the books”

Beds and Dreams Inn @ ChinaTown
Ranked #41 of 234 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Stayed at rucksack inn 2. Can't really fault anything. Rooms are so clean, doors close without a sound, bunks that don't creak as you get into/out of them. Air con is guest operated so no complaints there. Staff are so professional and helpful, toilets and showers work like a charm and so clean. Plus the obligatory - as this day and age practically requires! - free Internet and wifi. Fantastic couple of days would reccommend to friends.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Starletangel
There are newer reviews for Beds and Dreams Inn @ ChinaTown

Reviewed June 16, 2011

My wife and I booked the 2 person room here last month for a short 2 night stay in Singapore. We found the location really handy and the price to be very good compared to the hotels in the same area. Rucksack Inn is a backpackers though so don't expect the same atmosphere as a hotel. There is a communal bathroom and toilets and it is kind of small so you get a lot of people crammed in to small space. The beds were also a little uncomfortable with thin mattresses but this is not completely surprising in a hostel. Good points were the price, the air conditioning (the double room has it's own air conditioner so you can turn it on/off when you please), the wifi and the staff. Nicole who welcomed us when we first arrived was awesome and really friendly, and she provided us with a free map and a lot of really good information.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank donga100
Reviewed May 22, 2011

A recommended budget hostel in Singapore. stayed there last month with friends and we booked quad room so that we can have more privacy. Super clean + comfy room (though it was small for 4, but still ok, we even had our own TV when we stayed in Rucksack Inn 2 for one night), they also provide shampoo + shower gel. The staff were very friendly & helpful. Great location, close to MRT (Clarke Quay) and bus station,just few minutes from Chinatown & Marina bay.

Room Tip: book private room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank tze_dee
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Stayed in Ruck Sack Inn for 3 nights by myself and found that the location is easy to find. It's about 7-10 mins walk from Clarke Quay MRT station. When I got there, I was greeted by a friendly staff and she showed me around which is quite nice. They have breakfast all day which is like toast, jam, peanut butter and margarine.

The first problem I have is they have small locker and it wouldn't fit my backpack so I only put my laptop and camera in there. They will give you key so you don't have to bring your own lock. My biggest problem would be it was way tooo many people in 1 small room, there were like 20-something people in 28 mixed dorm room. I really did NOT sleep at all, it was way too noisy, they were actually a bunch of German people who came to the hostel around 3 or 4 am plus there are a night club karaoke thing beside the place. It's crazy noisy, also I have to ask the staff to actually turn off the light. Hello, it's 1-ish already and I would like to go to sleep. This place only good if you want to party NOT sleep and only stay for 1 or 2 nights.

Oh please note they ONLY turn on the AC at 10 - 8 in the morning. I hate it coz it's super hot in the room and seriously...it bothered me so much!

For better place go to Beary Good hostel instead, way nicer there.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank vrouwen
Jaxrucksack, General Manager at Beds and Dreams Inn @ ChinaTown, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2011

Dear valued guest,

We thank you for your review. First of all, thank you for booking in with us and I am glad our staff were helpful and made you feel welcomed. In light to your review with regards to the noise, we apologise to you for not having a comfortable night’s sleep. As a general rule, we adhere to the ‘lights off’ policy after 11 pm and our night shift crew are vigilant when it comes to noise-control. Whilst we are not stopping people from enjoying themselves during a night out, we do remind our guests who come back after midnight to observe as much silence as possible in consideration to sleeping guests and we also remind our guests to refrain from turning lights back on after “lights out”. We apologise that you had to endure having lights on until 1am. We are sorry for overlooking this on this particular evening.

As for the operation of our air conditioning, we have general guidelines as to the times we operate the air-conditioning, but they are not fixed. We leave air-conditioning on outside the stated times according to the needs of the guests and our guests are free to request for air cons to be switched on or off at any point in time.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and on behalf of the Management of Rucksack Inn, we will continue to strive to serve our guests better each time.

Reviewed April 17, 2011

Very clean hostel, lovely staff great you at the reception. You keep your shoes in a little box outside. The dorm rooms had 28 beds in them, it was hard to sleep when 4 people were snoring loudly! you get a locker in the room which is great for laptops etc. the free breakfast and internet was good too. Great location to get to places, I would recommend this hostel for budget travellers but remember to take earplugs.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pollyscrypt
Reviewed April 5, 2011

After reading several reviews and selecting from among dozens of hostels in Singapore, I found Rucksack Inn to be the most convenient and I was definitely right! My stay in the place was comfortable and very convenient. It's near the MRT plus the place is clean and cozy. It was my first time (and my friends, as well) to stay in a hostel, but we didn't have trouble adjusting to the arrangement. :) The staff was also friendly, especially the one who received us. They also host a free tour in Chinatown on Sundays which was a huge bonus! I'd stay there again when I visit the lovely Singapura!

Room Tip: Go for a private room if you can :)
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carics
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I stayed at the Ruck Sack Inn 2 for one night. The staff are incredibly friendly - it's the really small things like being given a glass of cold water upon arrival made it ultra special.

The location was brilliant. A short walk to Clarke Quay and MRT station. The only downsides of the stay was the karaoke night in the bar right next door was very audible from my room. Also I would have preferred to have a duvet quilt to lie under rather than a very thin (but pretty) sheet. The Wi-fi was a little unstable during my stay which wasn't a major issue, only a minor inconvenience at times.

Otherwise good value for money and I would consider staying again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo