New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Century Service World Hostel

Century Service World Hostel
Ranked #125 of 218 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice place with friendly people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Sorry for the late review , but I stayed here back in April 2011. It was during the rainy season, and I stayed here only for one night . The owner of this place Mr. Andrew is a great guy. Even though I chatted with him for only a few minutes, i know that he's friendly. The bed and toilet are all clean and in the morning they even give us some bread to make toast . On the downside, the place is kinda hard to find. It is very hidden, and during my search of this place, i have to call Mr Andrew a few times for some directions. Oh and also, when i stayed here I slept in the top bunk, while the ceiling lights are really close to me. Hahaha .
But anyway, good price for a good place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Vicious1990

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Taipei, Taiwan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

Myself and 2 other backpackers passed through Singapore, with the intentions of staying only 1 day. After a long day of airports, traveling, and hauling heavy baggage, we finally arrived at Service World Backpacker Hostel. Because our flight left at 7am the following morning, we didn't need a place to sleep. We just needed a place to set our bags down for a few hours so we could explore the city. The staff at this hostel were extremely rude, unaccommodating, and quite frankly, we felt very disrespected that they rejected our service. We offered to pay for a room to just leave our luggage for a few hours. They wouldn't allow it and the worst part about it was, they didn't even supply a reason! All in all, I wouldn't recommend this hostel to anyone. They handled the situation with very little class and with complete disregard to accommodate backpackers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank teataipei

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Hove, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

I believe the Service World Backpackers has two properties. We were sent to the smaller hostel. This place was not only smaller in the amount of guests they can accomodate, but small all around. It felt like it was once one unit in a retail & housing block in Chinatown, but has been modified to squeeze as many beds in as possible. We couldn't walk to our room (through the main dorm) with our rucksacks on our backs - it's that much of a squeeze.

The hostel is hidden in a random block so isn't too easy to find, especially as not all lifts go to the floor.... However Chinatown is a good place to be based for exploring Singapore, it's close to the MRT and some good eateries too.

The facilities in the hostel are also miniature. The bathroom are pods that have been squished into the kitchen, there are only two.

The member of staff was really friendly and tried to communicate with us the best he could. We were allowed to check in at 10am which was really helpful.

I would only stay here again if I couldn't find anywhere else, as it is too small when busy. However it is kept really clean.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Negril, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

I love this backpackers hostel. I have enjoyed my all days and nights. it is situated in such a place where you can easily connect to other happening places. staffs are very nice and helpful. Big thanks to Mr. Andrew, Arvel, Karen, Mitch and tressa. Miss you all.
Best Wishes
Pema from INDIA

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank gapreal
monlucont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

Was supposed to stay at another hostel in the vicinity, but they were booked full so they made a few calls and gave me a map and sent me on my way. As soon as I got there, they showed me to my dorm and after paying, they pretty much left me alone for the rest of my stay. When I had questions and asked for directions, the staff were gracious and patently answered all my questions. The electronic lock made me feel like I was living in the future and the free coffee and toast in the morning was a nice touch. I would defiantly stay here again. The location is close to the Chinatown MRT and you can get to and from the airport that way.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank monlucont
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

Very clean budget hostel. Close to MRT and Chinatown shopping area. Situated at level 2 of residence apartmet. Highly recommended despite only one sharing toilet between all dorm and single room. Food court downstairs, you may take your meal anytime. Karen the staff is very helpful. Andrew, the owner, very friendly too.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

It's a small hostel on the edge of chinatown. 2 subway and several bus stations close by. I stayed there 3 nights and had a great time! Very nice staff, they go out of their way to help you! The rooms are very clean and have air conditioning. The bath is quite small and a little cramped and the breakfast only consists of toast and a glas of marmalade. But there are lots of good and cheap places to eat in the area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo