“Disappointing”

Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Kampong Glam
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten in a variety of places in this part of town over teh last 5 years so as interested to try some where new - though in fact this restaurant has been around for a while. In a touristy zone, it's no more or less so than the others. I saw they had tagine so thought it worth trying.

My disappointment began once I'd been seated inside and, after I ordered, discovered that I couldn't get a beer. If I wanted a beer with dinner I'd have to go over to The Sleepy Kiwi opposite and my meal would be brought over. That seemed too much of a fuss so I settled for a lime juice. When my menu was taken away I noticed that the table cloth was torn and filthy. I asked to move and pointed out that the table cloth really should be thrown away. The waitress had no interest, and seemed to lose her knowledge of English.

My baba ganoush starter was fine though lacking any real distinction; the pita bread was cold so I assume had been sitting in the kitchen for a while. I also had to request cutlery which led to a flurry of searching, cleaning and drying on paper napkins.

The floor show was "improved" by one of the customers removing his teeth to clean them at a nearby table?

When the kitchen bell rang to signal that my tagine was ready - I could see it on the server shelf - the young woman standing right in front of it ignored the bell and the plate. I caught her eye and got a desultory "yes?" I pointed to the dish and she pointed to the woman who was out on the pavement luring in more customers. Apparently the job division meant that it was her role to come inside to collect the meal to deliver to me. That required more summoning by the bell.

The lamb tagine was tender enough - it was really a lamb shank in a spicy onion gravy, with a few olives and undercooked dried apricots. My ideal tagine has the apricots or prunes almost melted into the sauce. This was topped off with a few limp french fries.

In a location with plenty of good and popular places, this one needs to sharpen up considerably - and clean the table cloths!

Visited November 2013

Luzon, Philippines
“Delicious food with so-so service”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Yes, I agree with the feedback written. The lady outside the resto was more interested in driving the customers inside that once you are inside, the initial 'warm' reception given by the tending staff becomes non existent. You can feel the server's impatience as we were deciding what to eat. Their menu is extensive. But the staff should be more accomodating to customers since Moroccan food is unfamiliar to many, and they should engage their customers by helping them with their food choices. We enjoyed the food and the delicious Moroccan tea but the experience would have been better had the staff been more accomodating. i probably will not return to this restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
“Good food , poor service.”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The sweet talks of the managing lady lured us into the resturant and after we ordered , the not so bothered waitressinformed us that the food we ordered was not available . We waited for almost 45 minutes to recieve the food. The food was good. The stafee were not friendly not a smile in their face. Very snappy . They were only focused in getting customers. Woudlnt go there again

• Visited October 2013
Malaysia
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I agreed with SzczRob, 'I felt a little nervous going in because it looked a little TOURISTY'. But we didn't regret. We were seated outside the street pedestrian with nice weather. We ordered the Lamb Couscous and Lamb Briyani, and it was delicious. Food serving time were acceptable with reasonable price. However, the staff was so pre-occupy with getting customers to dine in their restaurant and they forgot about the diners inside the restaurant. Overall, acceptable.

• Visited October 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Should have looked here first...”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I felt a little nervous going in because it looked a little "touristy". This in the pedestrian street in front of the mosque surrounded by stands of postcards and pashmina scarves. We should have listened to the voice of experience.

The prices seemed reasonable until the dishes came. The hummus was good, though topped with a canned olive (instead of real olive we have had in other similarly priced nearby places). The bread/tomato/cucumber salad (fattoush?) was tasty with a good dressing. The milk tea and hibiscus juice were passable. The felafel was terribly prepared and priced (S$8+ for a couple of felafel and no toppings). The fries were cold but the wrap had nearly been desiccated. It was cooked until the wrap and felafel inside were tough and dried out. It crunched when bitten - and not in a good way. There was no flavor. The staff was mildly engaged but nice enough.

We have become accustomed to such a toilet arrangement in our travels, so did not notice it at first, but a previous post about the toilet/kitchen arrangement is still accurate. I don't know if this is standard for this area.

• Visited August 2013