We (2 adults, 2 children age 5 & 7) stayed for a week in a 3-bedroom apartment on the top floor (level 7) at Village Residence Clarke Quay. Reservation experience was the best of all the Far East properties we enquired with – a very helpful and enthusiastic response from Carine Tan and Winifred Peter made the booking process very easy, and made us feel that they wanted us to stay.
Check-in about 6pm after flight from Australia was fine, reception staff escorted us to our room and showed us how the apartment worked (including how to access the wonderfully fast and free wifi).
Apartment was a good size for Singapore, about 100 square metres, with a big master bedroom with king be and ensuite, and two other bedrooms – one with a queen, one with two singles. Two large TVs in the master bedroom and living area accepted our Aussie DVD player input no problems, a very small but functional kitchen (full-size fridge, gas stove, crockery – but we mostly ate out) and 5 split-system airconditioners, which were great to get rid of the humidity. Big couch, an armchair, and a 6-seater table. There’s a shower over the bath in the large ensuite, and a much smaller shower and toilet/basin in the second bathroom. The windows opened, for a breath of fresh air before it warmed up each day, and there was a nice basic view towards the city and Clake Quay. The apartment was beautifully quiet – no street noise at all. Beds firm but extremely comfortable.
Free (well, included in the tariff) breakfast in the complex’s business centre Mon-Fri is fine, a good selection of yoghurt, cereals, bread, croissants (kids liked them) and bacon & eggs available on request.
Cleanliness was very good – apartment looks a little quirky at first but is clearly very well maintained, and was very comfortable for our entire stay. Servicing is advertised as 3 times/week, for us only twice though (we arrived on Saturday, room was serviced on Tuesday & Thursday) – but we didn’t really require servicing apart from emptying bins (we since discovered spare rubbish bags and a garbage shute, so not a problem for next time). No washer/drier in our room, there’s in in-house laundry for $4/load, but we just hand washed in the room and air-con dried the clothes overnight.
Location is excellent – about 5 minutes walk to either Clarke Quay MRT or Chinatown MRT stations, and again about 5 minutes walk to Clarke Quay eating precinct. There’s a Fairprice supermarket in the basement of Chinatown Point mall for bread/milk and other essentials. We mostly ate at the local hawker food centres, there’s a small one in the Hong Lim complex behind Chinatown Point mall (about 3 min walk from the apartment), however our favourite was in the Chinatown Complex, on the corner of Smith St & Trengganu St, awesome noodles, rice & black carrot cake for $3/plate each. Kids loved the food!
There’s a great pool on level 4 with a kids pool and a large, clean adults pool that’s suitable for doing laps or playing tips with the kids (as we did). We also visited the fantastic Sengkang and Jurong East swimming complexes, where the kids loved the waterslides (and at about $4 for the family, payable on your MRT card, a lot cheaper than the resort-style waterparks).
We enjoyed our stay here – apartment quality and location were certainly high points – and we’ll come back when next we’re in Singapore. This is a very good place to base yourself for a family holiday – thanks to all the team at Village Residences Clarke Quay for a most pleasant stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located within walking distance away to Singapore’s Central Business District, Village Residence Clarke Quay provides easy access for executives on short stays in Singapore who have regular work commitments or frequent business meetings at Raffles Place and Tanjong Pagar areas. The serviced residences is also accessible by foot to a wide range of dining and shopping options along the Clarke Quay riverside and the rich cultural heritage which awaits at Chinatown. A brisk 5-minute walk will also bring you to Central shopping centre and Clarke Quay MRT, which connects to rest of Singapore. In addition, the Orchard shopping belt is only 5 minutes away by car.Village Residence Clarke Quay has Straits Chinese elements with its corridors’ decorations of wood carvings and hand painted ceramic tiles. Each of the 128 service residences comes with a fully-equipped kitchen, cable television, Wi-Fi and wonderful city views which include the subordinate courts, and even some authentic Peranakan terrace shop houses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Village Residence Clarke Quay by Far East Hospitality reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Central Square Village Residences Hotel Singapore
- Village Residence Clarke Quay By Far East Hospitality Singapore