“Simple and inexpensive hotel”
Review of Regin Hotel

Regin Hotel
Ranked #259 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Los Angeles
“Simple and inexpensive hotel”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

If you are looking for simple and inexpensive accommodation in Singapore, the Hotel Regin is a good option. The standard rooms are clean but very small so they are probably only OK for a solo traveler. And unless you plan to spend a lot of time in your room, the small size isn't a big deal.

The hotel is a couple of long blocks from the Kallang SMRT station. A fairly easy walk and once on the SMRT, you can get to just about anywhere in Singapore.

I was told that the Geylang section of the city is the "red light" district, but the Hotel Regin is on the edge of Geylang and I didn't notice anything "red light" around the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank pd-dp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Made last minute booking by phone, staff was so helpful. Me and my family moved from a horrible hostel to this hotel, and we found it quite suitable for resting. Singapore hotels are so damn expensive compared to other countries, and this one was reasonable enough (eventhough you could get a 5Star standard hotel in China with same amount of money, haha).

What they need to improve is the stacking of cleaning trolleys all over the 4th floor, but other than that, I would recommend people to stay here.

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank FaRa-Sandhi
Bunbury, Australia
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I booked in here through Agoda as I didn't like when I stayed at Lucky (mouldy, musty smell and plastic mattress and sheets with holes in them). Expected much the same, but was very surprised.

I was only staying for a 23 hour layover before returning to Australia and didn't want to hang at the budget terminal that long, so came into Regin Hotel.

The taxi driver found it a bit hard to find - his GPS took us to 250 Sims Avenue instead of 56. Maybe if you tell the driver it is near the corner of Sims Way and Sims Avenue you might get here quicker.

Once inside I was warmly welcome by a very friendly elderly Chinese gentleman, whose name escapes me. Very obliging.

The only shock was when he asked for a $S50 deposit in cash, as I had not been aware of this. I looked in my wallet but after the taxi fare had only around $40 so he said $20 was fine, and this was returned to me in the morning immediately upon checkout, where once again I was greeted by the reception staff in a warm and friendly manner.

The room itself was small and it is an older style hotel, but there was no bad smells in the room, and there was no mould in the bathroom. Shower didn't get really hot, but was passable. Like many Singapore rooms there is no curtain in the shower, so the whole bathroom gets wet - toilet, sink, bathroom floor etc, but not really a drama.

Bed was very comfortable. Got two free small bottles of water on arrival and 2 small toothbrush and paste sets. Aircon worked very well.

Tv has a wide variety of channels, even if few in English.

Small mini fridge in wardrobe to keep the water cold.

This is dearer than Hotel 81 Lucky, but if you want accommodation at the budget end of the scale this is certainly one I would recommend

Room Tip: i asked for one on a higher floor - road outside isnt too noisy, but there are the odd motorbikes go...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank imetmytruelove
Andover
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I booked into this hotel in November 2011 after spending two weeks in Borneo.

I walked into the room the smell just hit me! The smell of smoke was discusting! So my immediate reaction was to go and ask for a no-smoking room. I got informed that you could smoke in all the rooms. As a non-smoker I found the smell too much. So I asked if they could do anything about the smell. The lady behind the desk said she would send the cleaner with some airfreshner.

I then went back to my room were my husband was waiting. He had then established by this point that the windows would not open, the air con was broken and made an irritating noise and the tv had no channels that worked. There was also lots of different splash marks across the Walls, I'm just glad I don't know what they where!

When the cleaner arrived she only had a bottle of some sort of cleaner. She proceeded to spray behind the wardrobe, desk and curtains. It turn out that she was spraying bleach everywhere! So then we were then left with the strong smell of bleach and cigarette smoke. It was horrible, so much it made me fell sick!

This was the last straw for me and I sat on the bed and cried! My husband then decided that he was not happy seeing me like this and said we were leaving regardless if wether or not we could not get our money back. The management kindly gave us a full refund and we left to go and stay somewhere else. We ended up at the novotel Clarke quay, which I can highly recommend - it's worth the extra dollars!

Please don't think I am being a snob as I have stay in budget hotels all the time but this is by far the one I have disliked the most. I chose this hotel purely on the judgement of fellow trip advisor members and I was completely disappointed.

• Stayed November 2010
6 Thank Sazzykins

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Addis Ababa
Reviewed August 1, 2011

A colleague and I stayed in two single rooms 24-29July 2011, and we had a great time. The staff were helpful and friendly beyond belief, the hotel itself is located in the Geyland area, but away from all the noise and bustle. Madam See helped us reserve online with no advance understanding our problem that we didn't have credit card, Sunny and the rest of the reception staff were so welcoming and friendly during our stay. Thanks very much everyone, for making our stay delightful. We will certainly be coming back for vacation soon, and look forward to seeing you again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Kalamare
Colombia, S.A.
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Singapore is a damned expensive city. For S$90, in any other part of S.E. Asia, you could get a 3-4 star hotel in most downtowns. When I walked into my room, I have to say I was a bit taken aback, but I wasn't in Singapore to sit in my room, so it sufficed.

The Kalang MRT stop is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel, will take you anywhere you want to go, and fast. The staff at this place is hit-or-miss: Sonny ("look at the Sun, and remember my name is Sonny") is a gas and helps with anything you might need, another guy (didn't get his name) who was working the desk when I checked out, wouldn't even call me a taxi-he just told me to go stand on the curb with my bags during peak morning rush hour and stick my hand out, and hopefully someone would stop. Thanks much for that....

I am a single guy and walked the area at night, I wasn't harrased by anyone, and never felt in danger in the least - it's far enough away from the red-light district where it doesn't feel seedy at all, although there were plenty of Singaporean men coming in and out for most of the day and night paying the "in-transit" fee with their "companions".

The room itself, while a shoebox, did the job fine - it has a little fridge, small LCD TV on the wall, and AC, but it looked as though someone took a golf club to the AC controls (see pic), so the temp couldn't be adjusted. Wifi, in room, worked well.

While I didn't hear any shenanigans going on by the temporary guests, it was annoying to have about a dozen chinese tourists check in at about midnight, and begin screaming to each other from the various floors they were assigned to. This went on for about an hour before I told them all to shut the hell up (I doubt they understood me, but they could tell I didn't appreciate their form of communication).

If this were in most other cities, I would in no way recommend it, but because Singapore is so expensive, Regin Hotel is a viable option for a short term stay (no more than 3-4 nights).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank inspectorjavert70
Melbourne
Reviewed June 21, 2011

While the room was large enough the bathroom was a little small. The lack of a shower-screen meant everything got wet when anyone showered. The staff were both very friendly and helpful, but it really is the bad part of town and this hotel rents rooms by the hour... Not bad for a room in Singapore and close enough to PT to be useful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple