“Better off pitching a tent at the beach”

Goldkist Beach Resort
Ranked #193 of 223 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Better off pitching a tent at the beach”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

My apartment was getting a paint job so we needed a place in our neighborhood to hole up for a while. We stayed at Grand Mercure Roxy for a couple of nights and that was great but they were fully booked for subsequent nights so we booked Goldkist for one night. We got there around 4pm and yet the room was not ready so we waited at a sad poorly lit lounge area with worn out sofas. When we got to our room, there was a rollout bed placed just outside the chalet but no way were we going to use it because the mattress had so many stains on it. There was a king sized bed and a single bed in the very simply furnished chalet. The bedsheets looked clean but the mattresses were clearly old because they felt so soft and uneven. The ceramic floor looked clean enough but even then we didn't dare remove our footwear. The TV reception was poor and the bathroom was poorly maintained with bad stains on the windows, and was just generally very creepy. In fact the whole room felt creepy. My kids refused to spend the night there and I couldn't subject myself to such torture either so after cycling along the beach for a while we took our things and left. Fortunately the painters finished the job earlier than expected so our home was in liveable condition. So that was $168 (promotional rate) down the drain, the same price I paid for Grand Roxy Mercure by the way (also a special rate). My kids couldn't stop talking about how terrible the chalet was; it really is that bad and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Just don't
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Yvonne C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kozhikode, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel last month for 3 nights. Its is an average beach resort. The rooms are bigger one with 1 king size bed and 1 small bed and it is alsocleaned. But the toilet is very poorly maintained with unclean bath tub curtain, crack in bath tub etc. In my bathroom there was no light also. Ours was Indian group of 32 passengers. The Indian breakfast was not up to the mark. There is no telephone connection in the room. So no wake up call from the reception.
Even though the resort is not exciting, the location is totally amazing. Very beautifully lawned beach with so many barbeque pits. In the evening all the barbeque pits are packed with locals having party.There are some cycle rental shops nearby. If walk a little, there are restaurants like McDonalds and Harrys. if walk a little further, there are so many local food courts. The hotel is just 10 min drive from the airport. But it is quite far from the city. The resort is recommended for budget travel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

I was looking for a weekend getaway at short notice and to my surprise only Goldkist there is still available units. Everywhere else in Singapore was fully booked so with no choice we go ahead. The price was reasonable like elsewhere.

Upon arrival when we were informed on the terms and conditions, to my surpirise, we cant have our own tables or chairs. If we needed 1 we have to rent from them. And the jaw dropping moment was when i was informed the price of a table (not new at all) was $11. It is sooooo ridiculous, i could rent a bicycle or roller blade for a price to rent a table.

The best part is to rent a bbq place will be $25 if to purchase a package which include a bbq place, a pkt of charcoal, about 6pcs fire starter and a lighter(which unfortunately spoilt couldn't be use). To me the package was alrite because we had no choice but what pist me off is that we have to collect it by ourself and at the end of the day the by 11am WE HAVE TO RETURN IT OURSELF. Pretty ridiculous unlike the previous owner. All the while the bbq place will be collected by the management. I don't understand then why are we paying $25 for the bbq place for??

When reaching the unit, it was clean unlike before, but to my surprise there is no hot water kettle, there is no hair dryer. I think those sleazy hotels provides better then GOLDKIST. Very lousy accomodation. Whats a chalet for if there's no hot water kettle for us??

I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Siti M

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

I really do not think Goldkist should be called a beach resort. It looks more like a beach dump. The room that we stayed in was in such a bad condition that I do not know why I'm paying S$228 per night. We even forfeited the second night as the stay was so unbearable.
The room was stinky as if the aircon had not been clean for years. The bathroom choked after every shower and there were cobwebs hanging under the tv. Goldkist's website claimed that the rooms were renovated recently but I think that's a lie too. The bed sheets were stained that we had to use our own bed sheets to cover over them. The bath towels looked so dirty that they are not fit to be used even as cloth for cleaning the floor. Now I understood why there were so many negative comments online about this place. This is the most unpleasant stay in a resort I have ever had in my life.
The BBQ pit rental was $25 (which is ridiculous as it was old and dirty) and they do not allow us to bring in our own BBQ pit. Their so called standard pack of fire starters cost $2 for 8 fire starters. When I asked for a refund after realizing how expensive the fire starters cost, the 2 salesgirls rudely told me there is no refund and brushed me off. They are totally unscrupulous in trying to make money. And though the rules and conditions stated that no more than 4 people are allowed to stay overnight, many chalets had as many as 10 people in it at 4am. The swimming pool bathroom was in a terrible condition that there were cockroaches in it.

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank Cls29
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

Check in took ages. Front desk staff didn't know anything about customer service and was rude.
Room was smelly with dirty bed sheet and pillow cases. The previous writer is right, definitely fecal stain. I asked for a new sheet and was given one, yes given one but i had to change it myself. Guess what was under the mattress. Used condom. My goodness.

Toilet wall was really dirty and smelt of urine.

Place was very noisy and very badly maintained.

Avoid if you can. Please.

Room Tip: There is no good room there, I believe.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Popopo1976
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

I cant wait to write a bad review on this lousiest place, i wont even call it a resort! I booked a 1-night stay in Jan for a feb-stay to celebrate my son's birthday, due to our failure to get hold of our regular event-holding chalet at Pasir ris. Worst decision of my life! I should have realised it upon making the booking online, their nfriendly website interface really sucks and not professional.

1st of all, i received a reply email from a lady rachel saying all rooms were full for our booking of a duplex delux double storey room, only premier room was avail. I called them up to request for their assistance on securing a unit for us and explained its for our son's birthday party(big mistake of mine!). She was kind enough to follow up for me and finally gotten me a unit F-02 2days later with a confirmation email.

Days before the actual day, i received my credit card bill and realised that my booking on 20th Jan was being charged to my card already. I remembered clearly that on their websit upon making the booking, it was stated that by providing cc details is not a confirmation on booking! But they actually charged me for the booking prior to my confirmation!

I had a bad feeling, and it really happened on the check in day. 1st of all, a lady called me 2hours before our 2.30pm check in time, saying the room was not avail as the customer had requested for a late check out. How can they allow late check out when they already confirmed my booking? I told them to sort out when we reached there. We reached goldkist (rottenkist sounds bettter) at 3.15pm, and true enough, the poorly litted and decorated reception area was already a vomiting-sight. The reception called upon their foreign manager who was wearing a polo tee and jean to explain the situation to me. Apparently the previous guest had taken away the key to the room after check out and unfortunately their spare key was already lost for that unit, thus they have no access to the room. No technician or lock smith? U are right, they dont have and have no intention to engage one. Why in the frst place trying to short-change u by saying the guest requested for late check out? He did not explain on that too. He had no customer service attitude at all, thu he looked apologetic, but he cant make any simple decision like to compensate us with 2 premier room or something of equivalent value. He called his boss and came back with the same answer, NO. His boss refused to talk to us over the phone. We were stay put in the lobby with all our bbq stuff and cake for a whole 1hour with no other resolution offered. He brought us to a premier room as a replacement but its not a double storey unit which my son had been looking forward to and we had paid for. No refund of the remaining amt or the full refund for not able provide us the promised unit. I was real pissed off by then, with my patience reaching the limit. Suddenly a lady came by the receiption and passed our unit key to them. She was back to collect her client's luggage, yes she was a tour agent representing a group of china-nationality guests.

We were lead to our unit and to our horror, the place was badly and disgustedly managed. Toilet was dirty, stench smell on both the bedroom and living room, water spilled nd leaked all over the floor. Aircon not working fine (hot air is the correct term), dirty bedsheet n pillows. All these were presented to us after the housekeeping staff had tried to tidy up the room for us within 20mins. Theres no point complaining to the manager as he told us that these deplux unit were badly handled by rough guests and partyers over the years. Exactly, since they knew this unit is in such bad condition, why did they still lease out to holidayers? Definitely trying to conned n shortchanged us!! They were even not worried that we would file a complaint to CASE, Consumer Association of Singapore. My guess was that they already had many such complaints and used to it.

We had a birthday party to go on and our guests were arriving in an hour, we had no choice but to accept it. My kids refused to stay in, thus after the bbq party, we packed up and left this disastrous place at 11pm. We had only used the place to hold the bbq party for 6hours and it costs us SGD$220.

Poor management with no able managers and staff to solve problems, not to mention a boss with no guts to handle customer complaints. Poorly decorated reception lobby and worse- than -slum room unit. Website pictures mispresented the actual unit's condition, services not delivered, who would want to stay at such place? I wont even considered at all if it costs me $50bucks, not to mentioned i paid $220 for it.

DO NOT be conned by their newly set up website. Its more professionally done up but trust me, u wont wana spoilt ur holiday or party!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Franz L
Friedberg, Hessen, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Positives:
-near the beach
-near the airport (if everything goes right)
-the device which makes a duck sound appears to be letting out something like febreeze or keeping the roaches away.
-the air conditioner was functional

Negatives:
-booking defaults to transit rates (who really books a hotel online for 3 hours?)
-address is "near parking lot D3". this makes every taxi driver think really hard. in our case it ended up adding about 30 minutes to our trip to the airport because of the way the roads are laid out in that area and our driver missed one turn.
-sheets/towels are dirty/stained. some stains were indiscriminate while others were obviously blood or fecal matter. it literally looked like someone wiped their butt on one of our towels.
-cleanliness in general was not very good
-the showers were full of mildew and the water doesn't drain efficiently. this leads to an accumulation of hair and anything else in odd corners of the shower area. there is a hose to help you if you decide to clean this up. unfortunately the hose is too short which makes some corners unreachable.
-the door wasn't sealed. i had no problem locking the door, but there were gaps on the sides of the door frames large enough for large insects to pass through. we only saw one roach in the room over a five day period though.
-like many others my companion was fooled by the pictures offered by the hotel. these pictures are 20 years old. one of our taxi drivers talked about getting coupons to stay here during leave.

Unknowns:
-the water may not be good enough to perform routine hygiene with. i left this place with much more acne than i am used to as well as throat ache and itchy "parts". my companion got a yeast infection. i cannot say for certain that we got these conditions from the hotel, but it seems very likely.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple