“Good, if you`re in budget..”
Review of Hotel 81-Tristar

Hotel 81-Tristar
Ranked #203 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Clean and good size rooms, very good baths, stuff are friendly, but helpless. Area is not so clean, but safe(like an others Singapore`s areas), not close to downtown, but you can take a taxi without any problem. Near it, you can find some shops, food court is in few steps from main entrance. But, be careful to eat something without asking about spice! Most food is too spicy for european taste. For Singapore, this hotel`s good choice, because it`s cheap(for this city) and good enough to spend 2-3 days in it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Luluka35

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

It's like the best deal you can find in Singapore and with the airport so close by.. But then again this is my first trip to Singapore in many many years... So I would not know if anything has opened near the airport :) it's gud value for money..

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank venkatvishwas
Reviewed January 20, 2013

You get what you pay for and this is a budget hotel - but the rooms are spacious. I would regard it as one of the better basic hotels in terms of the rooms. Expect no frills - but why would you in a budget hotel?

The one extraordinary thing about the hotel is that they room key provided is a standard key - a metal key - not a swipe card. And there is only one key per room regardless of the number of guests. No second key is available.

I stayed at the hotel with my wife and we had separate plans during the day - we did not know who would be back to the room first - but we could not access the room separately so had to coordinate our movements - a ludicrous inconvenience. I ended up having to wait in a nearby coffee place for her to return.

Cannot recommend this hotel if you are a couple unless you are travelling as a pair and have no separate plans.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BillM1964
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had a fantastic stay at the Tristar 81, this hotel must have been the 'Taj Mahal' when it was originally built, the rooms are huge, the bathroom huge, the fittings in the rooms were top quality and the aircond was brilliant with little noise. That said the place has not been lovingly kept and is dirty and in need of a make over, if you are into fine accommodations only do not book here as you will only complain.
On the other hand if you can put up with a bit of dirt, leaky aircond, worn fittings and a few critters then this may still be your 'Taj Mahal'. The bedding, mattress and pillows were all clean (always check before accepting a room) and the flatscreen TV even got a movie channel and BBC news.
Free wifi was a bonus and they have a fantastic swimming pool on the first level. The people on the desk were friendly enough and once I was booked in they would have my key ready when I got back to the hotel every day for the four days I was there.
It is not near the city but as I was in Singapore for a few days of Tai Ji training and a celebration of Kung Fu at the nearby Nam Wah Pai world headquarters it did not bother me, the bus is only 2 minutes and train station is only 5-10 minutes walk.
There are many shops and food outlets right at the door and I highly recommend Mr Teh Tarik fare although I must warn you the Tarik coffee is really good and I did have cravings for it for some days after I returned home to my country.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Having stayed at other H81s before, I'd say this is one of their "premium" hotels, if not the only one. This is the rare exception where the words "swimming pool" and "Hotel 81" appear in the same sentence. (BTW, the pool was 1 metre deep in all places, and it was very clean indeed)

I booked 2 rooms - a Family Room and a Twin Room. From the photos posted you'll see both are incredibly spacious by Singapore (& also H81) standards. Although the hotel is starting to show its age, the rooms were clean and there was no smell of cigarette smoke.

If only they were responsive to guests' reports. On 2 occasions I told them the room air conditioner wasn't cool any more, but no action seemed to have been taken. But then, I was pleased that the room keeper, on noticing that we seemed to used a lot of towels, left a couple of extras for us (we were not around at the time)!

Although on their website they mention cable channels for their TVs, be prepared to be disappointed if you like watching the English Premier League or Champions/Europa League. The only channels that I recall seeing (in addition to local ones) are Eurosport News, Fox Movies, ohh, but no EPL, La Liga, Serie A........ but I recall the Bundesliga is available!

Location-wise, the hotel is in Geylang Serai as opposed to Geylang (the latter being the red light district - did not see any sign of this hotel being used for "those" purposes). 200 metres away is the Haig Road hawker centre, where cheap meals can be had (as low as $2 to $3), as well as the bus stop. Here you can catch the following buses directly to the following places:

2 or 51 - to Chinatown
7 - to Orchard Road (or rather, Penang and/or Somerset Roads)
24 - to Ang Mo Kio bus interchange (from there transfer to bus 138 to get to the zoo) - this bus also goes to Changi Airport
30 - to Vivocity (the gateway to Sentosa and Resorts World/Universal Studios)

The Paya Lebar MRT is also nearby, about 0.5 km away.

There's also an NTUC Fairprice supermarket some 200 metres away, on the neighbouring Joo Chiat Road. So, with a room mini-fridge, one could stock up on drinks, etc.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DaddyistheBest
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Hotel located in center, closed to the station. room was basically good with nice facilities. Some good restaurants located near hotel as well. Everything was ok for its price, we had some good nightlife's activities here in Singapore.

Room Tip: standard room was normal but good facilites
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights.

Good points are -

Convenient location. It's about 5 minutes walk to Paya Lebar MRT station which connects to Changi airport Terminal 2 with one interchange at Tanah Merah. From Terminal 1 and Terminal 3, there's airport sky train to bring you to Terminal 2. Then take the MRT located in Terminal 2 which can bring you to anywhere, Paya Lebar MRT station is less than 30 minutes journey from the Changi Airpoirt MRT station. When we depart from Singapore, it took us about 55 minutes altogether starting from walking from the hotel lobby to the Paya Lebar MRT station, buying the single trip tickets and returning the tickets at the tickets machines when we arrived at the Changi Airport MRT station, plus waiting time for the interchange train and walking towards the sky train station, and taking the sky train to Terminal 1 until we reached the check in counters.

There are many eateries surrounding this hotel. The Haig Road market and food centre is only 100 meters away from the hotel with many different varieties of Chinese hawker's food. The food here is quite good and a lot cheaper than restaurants. There's a 24 hours food centre with good food below the hotel next to the lobby. Must try the famous PUTU PIRING if you stay here. It's a sweet delicacies.

There's a clean enough 1 meter deep swimming pool. The room is spacious with comfortable bed and pillows. Clean beddings and towels. Fast check in and check out. We were able to check in before 12 noon. 2 small bottled drinking water supplied per day. A TV with about 14 channels to choose from. Tea making facilities. A small fridge. Air-conditioning. Attached bathroom and toilet with hot and cold shower. One time usage disposable toothbrush with toothpaste on it wrapped in nicely sealed plastic packaging. Shower gel. Disposable hair brush and shower hair cap. Bright enough lighting. Bed side table. Writing desk with a chair. An arm chair. A wardrobe with a few clothes hangers. Windows to look out and to let natural light come into the room.

Good WIFI Internet connection in the room. If you booked on line you'll get free WIFI Internet usage, or else there is charges for the WIFI connection. There's a computer at the lobby (charges applied).

The staff were friendly.

Here's the bad points -

The room was not cleaned when we check in. It was not clean even after the daily room cleaning service... They will make up the bed (nicely done), change the towels, and provide 3 in 1 tea and coffee sachets and 2 small bottled drinking water everyday, but they don't really clean the floor. Even if they swept the floor as I asked, they didn't mop the floor. The soles of my feet were so dirty being barefoot in the room.

The toilet is clean enough but the bathroom walls were not clean with stains everywhere. The shower curtain was really dirty. The bathroom floor was slippery when our feet were wet after shower as there's no bathmat or towel for the bathroom floor.The bathtub didn't function as the water stopper didn't work. The water power was good but the shower head was at my shoulder level (I'm 5 feet 5 inches tall). I needed to duck down my body to wash my face or my head and hair.

There was a smell in the room. The entire hotel supposed to be non-smoking but people continued to smoke and we could smell it in our room whenever our neighbors smoked.

The windows are nice but they cannot be opened. There's no fresh air.

There's not much noise coming from the road outside the hotel nor from the restaurant food centre downstairs but the noise from the hallway can be heard in the room clearly. Or we can hear noises coming from the rooms while we were walking in the hallway...

The doorbell in the room was really "LOUD". We were disturbed by it when a young boy played with our doorbell while we were having a nap in the afternoon.

The roof in the bathroom really needs to be repaired, as there were leaking from above and parts of the roof already falling apart.

The pool is clean enough but the surrounding environment like the floor in the hallway towards the pool is not so clean (you don't feel like want to walk barefoot from your room to the pool)...

The hotel lobby smells like a food court as the smell coming from the next door 24 hours food centre.

We paid about 440 SGD for 4 nights for this double room booked online. Walk in price is 129 SGD per night.

If you are budgeted then this is quite a convenient hotel despite the cleanliness issue. If you can spent more money then you may want to look up for other cleaner hotel. It's a pity. As the staff were friendly and the location is good, the rooms are good but are not being looked after as it should.

It will be a very good hotel if they do some repair works for the rooms and upgrade the cleanliness of the rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple