“Worst stay ever” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #200 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
“Worst stay ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Room is too small even to fit a suitcase. We had to keep it behind the shut door to have some room to walk to bathroom. Strange smell and mould on ceiling. With no ventilation, while we were out we had turned off the aircon only to find the floor and wall wet with moisture.
Also since they let out the hotel on hourly basis which I only realise on the second day, it is used for dodgy purpose.

Room Tip: don't stay here unless you need room for less than 5 hours.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Dumaguete City, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Hotel 81 Selegie is a great hotel to crash after a tiring day of sightseeing. Reviews here are quite nasty but each and everyone of us has their own experience. Ours was good! The rooms were always clean so was the bed. The family room was bigger as compared to the twin room. Twin rooms were a bit cramp especially if you have a lot of luggage but it wasn't really a big deal since we spent 90% of our day sightseeing. The hotel is located in a good location. 711 is just a few steps away and there's a hawker stand in the next block where you can eat. Bugis is a couple of blocks away and the best thing is that there's a bus stop in front of the hotel and Little India MRT is just a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

4 Thank Kwipple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

The location is good, which near to MRT Little india and Dobby Ghaut; i stayed 2 nights on 7th floor, the provision is fine for hotel: a double bed with own toilet/bathroom, 1 bottle of water for 2 nights, windiw with curtain that cannot be lifted, 2 sets of toothbrush which looks like toothpaste dried on it when i just open the packing; no breakfast, very small room, a lot of mosquitoes in the toilet at day1 and some start to appear in the sleeping place at day2. Don't even know how they appeared, and the bed sheet looks like there are some oil when strange color appear at pillow bag...

1 Thank Bistop

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

The receptionists seem friendly when we checked in. The location is good, it is near 7 Eleven, plus a bus stop, and a few minute walk from Little India MRT Station. It is also convenient to have our Night Safari tour because one of the pick up/drop station is in The Verge, which is also near Selegie Road. Little India area is just in Serangoon Road, which is just on the other side of Selegie Road.

No chairs or lounge in the lobby for guests who will check in. It rained so hard in the afternoon so when we waited for the rain to stop we don't even have a place to sit.

We were given a room on the 7th floor when we checked in. The room was so small, even the bathroom has so little space. As we were about to go down to start our tour of the city, we found out the elevator was no longer working. So we had to use the fire exit. 7 floors! After our tour, we came back by night and found out the elevator was still not working and even the receptionists don't know when it will be fixed! I don't want to climb the stairs every single day up to the 7th floor! So we asked the girl receptionist to give us another room. She was kind enough to give us a room in the ground floor with no extra charge. The room was slightly bigger than the 7th floor, but this time it has no window and it smells. But we'd rather have a smelly room than climb the stairs to the 7th floor just to have a small and cramped room. The ground floor room was convenient because it was easier to get in and out of the hotel without worries about the elevator. The downside, aside from the smell (which we eventually got immune of in the succeeding days), was the noise. You can hear the people coming in and out of the hotel, including TV, telephone and music from outside. But the (indian?) music we have been hearing actually lulled me to sleep. However, we had one disturbing night, when I realized that some couples use the hotel as some sort of a love motel. We heard moans and other noises. I had to drown the noise by surfing the internet and preoccupying myself with other things.

Meanwhile, wifi is free. You just have to log in the username and password every time you switch on and connect your device. There's a bottle of water and instant coffee everyday the room was cleaned so having a newly cleaned room and replaced towels every night we arrive made us feel a bit better after a tiring day of touring the city.

I can't say that I got my money's worth. But then again, Singapore is an expensive city. If you are not entirely on a tight budget, you should try other better hotels. If you are an on a tight budget and your main purpose is to tour the city the whole day and just use the hotel room mainly for rest in the night, then I guess it's not entirely a bad experience because you won't stay that long inside the hotel anyway.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Eunjung2012
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Seriously - just pay a little more. Even though the photos have windows - most rooms don't. I think that some of the windows on the outside are just facades not even real windows. This feels like a jail cell and the staff have a care factor of zero. We used this hotel as a stopover for a long haul flight. Move on!

Room Tip: Another hotel is the only real option.
2 Thank arossington
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This week I arrived into Singapore in the middle of the night. I had a 9am meeting and was hanging out for a few hours' sleep, so checked into the Hotel 81. They wuoted me $87 for 6 hours, which I thought was extoertionate, but I was tired so I agreed. I asked for a room away from the stairs and lift so it would be quiet. I can honestly say I didn't sleep a wink - the walls were paper thin (I could even hear the cleaner in the room next door unwrapping the plastic from something) - so much so I got up after 3 hours and checked out. The one saving grace is that they charged me for 3 hours ($35 I think) instead of 6.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Charles W
doncaster
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here in August 2012 for 3 nights as part of our mini tour of Asia, I was disappointed that we were staying in this 3 star hotel - but I really struggled to find a room that would sleep two adults and two children. The rooms that would accommodate all four of us in the same room was between £600-£800. I opted for this hotel as I though we would be out all day, and we would basically be sleeping in the room and that was that. I paid £290 in total, and would have felt robbed had I paid any more!
The room was clean and tidy, shower room was tiny - and was unable to use the toilet whilst someone was showering - it was more of a wet room! The location was quite good, just around the corner from little India.
Whilst in Singapore we went to the Zoo and had breakfast with the Orangutans - AMAZING!! I had originally planned that we were at the zoo for about 6 hours, but we were there for 9 - there was plenty for the children to do (aged 7 & 5) and there was a water park splash zone - excellent for cooling the kids down! Make sure you pack your swim suit!
Getting around Singapore on the MRT is very easy, and we went on the skytrain to Sentose. This is lovely - and the man made beach is perfect. Pretty unreal to be laying on the beach looking out to sea, and it being as busy as the M1 motorway!!
Singapore is very expensive, but we were aware of this before we travelled there. In one of the restaurants by the quayside it was £9 for 1/2 lager!! There was cheaper places to eat and drink - we ate one night in chinatown and they had bottles of lager on offer for 9 singapore dollars - approx £4.50 - and the food was good.
We stayed for 3 nights and had 3 1/2 days to explore the area - and I have to say, this was a perfect amount of time. We have seen everything that we wanted to - and at a relaxing pace.
We've been, but wouldn't rush back. Would I stay at this hotel again ? If travelling again as a family of 4 and all need to be in the same room (due to children ages) then possibly, but if travelling just with my husband, then no - I would go elsewhere.

3 Thank DonnyMoz