“Good Tip”

Ranked #39 of 231 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Townsville, Australia
“Good Tip”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

A person sitting next to us on the plane told us about the hive and we decided to give it a go. Good accommodation and tidy for a backpackers the staff were really friendly and reccomended good food and places to visit

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank les w
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hey les w,

We are amazed at how random acquaintance can lead to a pleasant experience. Whoever that was, we thank him.

We also thank you for the trust and the opportunity given to us to serve you.

Wherever you are, we hope you continue to meet nice people who will give you more good recommendations.

Take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Taipei
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at one single room for 4 nights. Many staff members were friendly.
Being not far from MRT station was one of its advantages. The bed needed to be fixed since one slat under the bed dropped 2 times and I put it back to the original place. I weigh only about 60 kg.
The location at the crossroads resulted in a somewhat noisy surroundings.
Yet I could show understanding for this condition since it was inexpensive to stay here.

However, everything was OK except for one aspect.
What made me very unsatisfied and unhappy is below.
Upon check-in, I told the staff member I would like to pay by credit card in "Singapore Dollars", not "DCC(Dynamic currency conversion): TWD". I didn't want DCC. He told me he indeed chose Singapore Dollars. In case I was charged in DCC, I didn't fill the blank([ ]-I checked here that I have chosen the Transaction currency amount offered to me and have accepted this amount as the total final billing amount) above signature. Besides, 1 day later I showed another customer copy from swiping my card at CHANGI Airport as an example(pay in Singapore Dollars) to another staff member and said that I would like to pay only in "Singapore Dollars" rather than "DCC".

DCC forced me to pay over 5 Singapore Dollars to the bank in addition to the original amount(recommendation fee).
Thus I told hostel staff members more than 5 times that I would like to pay in Singapore Dollars, not DCC:TWD .
And I also said even paying cash is better than paying in DCC by credit card(the most unfavorable payment method).
Why did the hostel manager and acquiring bank still force me to be charged in DCC regardless of the customer's rights and choice?

If the hostel manager of the Hive can see this review, please help to fix the problem (to charge in Singapore Dollars instead of DCC).
If I had not noticed this situation, it would have be my own problem.
But I immediately noticed this problem ,informed you, and asked for a correction from the very beginning, it should not be my fault.
Integrity service and to treat customers right are the keys to successful business.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
ysing, Manager at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Bestop,

Thank you for your feedback. We believe there could be a misunderstanding because we train our staff to check with our guests on the currency they wish to transact in.

The misunderstanding could have arose from the receipt printed because the rates for both local and foreign currencies are displayed. It makes not difference to us which currency our guests chooses. They choose the currency which will benefit them more.

Nonetheless, we will be contacting you personally to find out more and see how we can help you out.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here for 7 days and we really enjoyed staying at this hostels. we feel that we are HOme.Simple breakfast help us a lot before starting to explore the city. We stayed for the 1st 2 night at TRIPLE ROOM and we find it very comfortable and relax. and for the 3rd night and so on, we need to transfer to another room which is the Double Room with extra person but i feel surprised when i see the room,it is different from the triple room.We have a miscommunication during our reservation because when we get there the double room has only one bed, the staff which is Mike if im not mistaken, said that during our reservation we should says one extra bed not person. But im very thankful to Mike, because he tried all his best to give us a comfortable bed/place to stay on. The dorm at the back of the reception area must be improved specially the comfort room and the bath room.
Staff especially Aileen who is patient during our conversations in emails, Abhie who assist us during our arrival at the hostel and for suggesting some places to go on and Mike who assist us during our transfer to double room and during our check out.
When im be back next year with my friends, we will stay here. EXcellent service and staff

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Glaiza M
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hey Glaiza M,

I am happy to hear our staff were of help to you during your stay with us. This is very important.

We certainly look forward to hosting your group when you return. ;)

Take care wherever you are!
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 6, 2012

2nd time staying at The Hive, although the first time was with the Kallang Location. I thought that the Hive@Kallang was the best budget accomodation in SG but was proven wrong as The Hive@Boon Keng is the bomb. =)

PROS:
It is near Boon Keng MRT (Remember it's Exit C), and across the street, there are some food stalls and a couple of blocks away is a 24 hour hawker centre. From Clarke Quay past midnight, I only spent around 9SGD for taxi, that's how near it is. Just one MRT station away from the well known 24 hour Mustafa Center where one can get supplies or mementos. Comfortable Bed. Dorm Room provided not as cramped as expected.Simple breakfast options are enough to start your day. Quiet, clean, and peaceful. Staff are patient with questions and requests and the cleaning lady was helpful and kind. Only 1SGD for a Coke in can.

CONS:
1.The blanket they provide may not be enough to keep one warm so just bring an extra.
2. The wooden bathroom doors at the main dorm area are starting to act up and should be replaced instead with alum/pvc/sliding doors to prevent from being accidentally locked up inside.

TQs:
A well deserved "thank you" goes to Bob for helping with the carrying of the luggage of the seniors I am with. As a backpackers lodge, one is expected to carry own luggage up a plight of stairs so this simple act of kindness should not be left unnoticed. Also to Aileen and Wei (hope I got the name right) for watching over my senior aunt who decided to stay behind one time. And Shan for the Wifi help and directions.

TIP: When taking a taxi going to the airport, hail a cab according to the traffic/route to cut through cost and time. I forgot the street but If you're still inside the Hive, it's to the left of the main entrance door. No need to cross. Or just ask reception to be sure. =p

Overall: Cheap but comfortable stay. Will definitely be back here when I do my reviews for an exam and research.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pinkheadphones2015
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Hey pinkheadphones2015,

We like that you find both our branches to your liking. At least we are doing something right. Unfortunately we had to give up on the one in Kallang due to business reasons. Fret not because then we are able to focus on improving the one and only at Boon Keng.

On the point about the toilet doors. I think I know what you are referring to. We had just changed the doors to wooden doors because of government regulations. We will take a look at the locks of the doors.

We will be going through an extensive renovation in November and we will look into replacing the current thermal blankets we have. Please allow us some time to find something suitable.

Thank you for your compliments to our staff. You made the effort to remember all their names. As service providers, we find that very heartwarming. It is always good to feel appreciated. I will convey your thanks to the staff.

Once again, thank you for coming back to stay with us and also to spend time sharing your experience in detail here.

See you soon ya? Take care!
Penrith, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Staff were awesome (especially Aileen-incredibly patient despite the countless emails we sent back and forth). This was the cheapest place in Singapore I could find for my own room. Only downsides were lack of a soap dispenser in the upstairs bathrooms and the toilet in one upstairs bathroom becoming blocked. Am probably transiting in Singapore for one night in November and would most probably stay here again. Awesome work guys. Keep it up :-)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank pauljamieson1986
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Hey pauljamieson1986,

We will let Aileen know about your compliments. Thanks!

And yes, thanks also for the feedback about the soap dispenser in the showers/toilets. We will have them when we are done with our renovations in November.

Take care wherever you are! Hope to see you again!
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Booked this hostel based on the reviews and we were a little disappointed. There is two areas to the hostel, the reception area with dorms and another section in which you need to leave the main complex and go next door. the rooms at the Main reception are clean and tidy however the rooms in the other section are old and need work. The communal bathroom is a wet room which didn't have any hot water. Simple breakfast but it is enough before you head out. I would try a different hostel next time.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank peterstevenson
Spens12, Owner at The Hive Singapore Hostel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Hey peterstevenson,

Thank you for your feedback. We understand your position and apologise that we didnt deliver up to your expectations.

Please be assured that we will be under-going extensive renovations to the tired section by the end of the year. Discussions with our designer has already taken place.

Stay connected to see our change and hopefully we do get the chance to be of service to you again.

Take care!
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I went for a vacation in last month July 2012 and i think i really did the best choice of picking The Hive as my accommodation in Singapore!
1. Clean- Everything is just like new!
2. Comfortable- What can i describe about it only a word "HOME", It gives me home's feeling
3. Friendly staff- The staffs are so kind and polite!
Definitely i will pick The Hive again in my next vacation in Singapore! :D

Room Tip: Reserve early please! :)