“Bad Attitude from the staff”
Review of Grand Shanghai

Grand Shanghai
Ranked #1,033 of 11,647 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: The Quays
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have been to this restaurant for a few times and was happy with the food and service until today. Totally disgusted by today staff especially the manager attitube, definitely would not go back again.

I have a dining membership and grand shanghai is one of them, I was given a discount voucher that I would like to use today as it is going to expire.

My sister family have arrived the restaurant first and have place the order for dim sum, which cannot use the voucher. When me and my family arrived, after some discussion we decided to cancel the previous order and place another order. But what we get from the Manager is a sarcastic reply "The dim sum is already 50% today, it is not expensive etc" I thought nevermind maybe I am sensitive.

But until I was told by my family that the manager talking to the other staff " Cannot afford dont come here" and my family also told me that all of them can feel the different attitube after that.

Regardless of that everyone just finished the meal and left.

My point is if it is difficult to cancel the previous order, you can just highlight to us. We didn't want to make life difficult for you. We asked and did not insist.

Also in customer service industry, how can one serve in this kind of attitube.
Since we are unhappy and the manager and staff felt that we cannot afford it, we will not to go back again to pay your salary. Sorry to say that previous good impression was ruined by today despicable attitube.

4  Thank ken381975

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had invited two friends for a quick lunch and this restaurant did not disappoint. Even though this was the first time that I had dined at the restaurant, the staff ranging from the manager, David Lim and the waitresses were helpful and attentive. As I am new to their menu, I followed the recommendations made by David and was very happy with them. First of all, David recommended the right number of dishes and he is the sort of manager who 'looks after' your wallet. My party especially enjoyed the Fish Soup - the broth was delectable with slices of fresh fish and fresh bamboo shoots. 3 of us had 2 servings each of this soup. Another dish which I would recommend is the Deep fried Bean curd Seafood - the seafood here consists of fish and prawn paste; and the bean curd skin that enveloped it was paper thin fried to crispy texture. We ended the meal with 2 snowballs with red beans and bananas. This balls are deep fried and dusted with icing sugar, but their texture is almost souffle like. Yes, this restaurant is definitely worth another visit.

1  Thank Laksa6
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I went to this restaurant as a guest of a Singaporean couple. What a surprise!!!! It has a grand appearance, with a little stage and a singer accompanied by musicians. Music played was probably of the 50's early 60's.

Food and service were excellent. We had Peking duck (2 ways), dimsum, winter melon soup and others.

After dinner I recommend a stroll. Go through the doors at the back of the restaurant and you will be in for a surprise.

I recommend this restaurant if you want to eat good, if I recall correctly, Shanghainese cusine.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Really good Chinese at a good price. The interior decor is grand and there was a live band playing and it has an old style 30s/40s feel... Reminded me of restaurant in opening scene of Indiana Jones and temple of doom!

We had smoked duck with pancakes which was great if just for having it served to you at the table and watching the pancakes being filled and wrapped at speed with chopsticks!

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Was there for a wedding reception yesterday during lunch. I would say that the atmosphere inside the restaurant is pretty "shanghai" with the deco and music played during lunch. However I do find the food a tad below my expectation. The shark fins soup was too gluey to my likings and the smoked duck was a tad too saltish. Other than that, the seafood tasted fresh.

Understand that the wedding package is $799++ per table which works out to be about $93 per pax. At this moment, it seems to be a relatively value for money place to hold weddings as the hotels will surely exceeds the $1000 mark.

1  Thank alanyeo76