“Very good food”

Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Kampong Glam
“Very good food”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I've been here for lunch with co-workers and lunch with my wife.

The pineapple rice is awesome with a great presentation. Great to share.
I've had the curry chicken and the coffee chicken. The Pandan chicken is a must.

This place has some magic going on. Everytime I've been there, almost all of the tables have been reserved for lunch!

The service is a bit lackluster. The food is great, and well priced too. If you have a large group, call ahead for a reservation. Open at 11am.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank ThePelikans

• Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
“Mostly good, but lacks consistency in cooking”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have dined in this outlet on many occasions over many years always as an invited guest of a local Peranakan family. We would always occupy the largest table on the ground level as we are a group of 9 to 12 diners and the matriarch has mobility restrictions.

The owners are ALWAYS on site, always at the entrance, always pleasant and never over-bearing. Their omni-presence ensures smooth running in terms of service.

Cooking, however, lacks consistency. What was mind-blowing on one visit may be lacking in seasoning on another occasion. I have developed an expectation of taste for certain dishes. I am disappointed when it fails to deliver. Since Peranakan eating involves a myriad of dishes, every visit has good dishes and the not-so. On the basis of cooking alone, I would give a rating of 3.5 but with the added touch of the bosses, I rate this 4 out of 5 overall.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank EddyBurl
Duncan
“MUst visit”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I,m a hard marker but this gets top marks for excellence of food and value. Charming ambience and very pleasant and efficient service. You must try the soft shelled crabs.
Can,t wait for a return.
Also, it,s set in Avery picturesque neighbourhood.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Barb B
Singapore
“What a gem!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

There is just nothing bad to say about this place! Even though I read that it was relatively quiet away from the crowd at Arab St, I made reservations just to be sure and sure enough, there was just one empty table left in the restaurant waiting for us when we arrived. I was awed by the decor, it made for such a nice dining ambience. As the portions did not look big on the menu, we ordered freely and were warned it was enough! Sure enough, the portions were generous and we could not finish. We loved all of it - deep fried kangkong, tomyam soup, assam prawns, steamed fish in spicy lime, bean sprouts. Prices are reasonable for the quality. I will definitely return and share this with the rest my family and friends. What a true gem!

2 Thank naimin
“It's good...”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I think this place is a little under rated and I think everyone should give it a try. I think they place is located in a very 'low profile' area since that place is full of eateries.

But your determination will be worth it.

Upon arrival, the staff were friendly and we were seated. Then throughout the service, I had an enjoyable time. Partly also because of the friendly staff.

The place is also well decorated and the atmosphere is just right.

Next, the food is decent and the buffet is well worth it. You get a handful of selection and each brings out the trade of the theme where it's Indo-Thai style of food. The spice and everything is just right. Not everything is perfect in terms of the food. But I love most of the selection.

Worth a try!