“Highlight of Our Visit to Singapore” 5 of 5 bubbles

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Highlight of Our Visit to Singapore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

If you're looking for a wonderful cultural experience and an authentic taste of Singapore, this is the activity to try. As other reviewers have mentioned, don't book a Cookery Magic class with the expectation of a full-service, modern kitchen. You'll instead be going to a cozy neighborhood in the suburbs of Singapore, where you'll cook on the covered, outside back porch of a charming home. After the cooking is done, you'll enjoy your food at a sit-down meal with your other classmates, topping off the memorable experience with great conversation.

I went to Cookery Magic with my mother and mother-in-law, and both of them raved about the experience. We did an afternoon class that featured an authentic Malaysian selection of foods, which was the perfect accompaniment to our Singapore visit. Go to the class with an open mind, a willingness to learn, and an enthusiasm to cook, and you'll love it. We sure did.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank berchelm

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

This time last year I visited Singapore with work. I had a few days off to see the sights. The real highlight for me was the Cookery Magic course I did for a few hours one afternoon. Its a bit of a walk from the nearest station (especially in the Singapore sun) but it also meant I got to see a residential bit of the city.

I learnt how to cook

Char Kuey Teow (fried rice noodles)
Chili Crab
Onde Onde

It was great fun. I was with a group of about 10 people but everyone got to make their own after being shown how to do it. I would love to go back. If you are ever in Singapore do go to Cookery Magic.

Visited November 2011
4 Thank Debandada
Novato, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic time cooking with clay pots”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Clean, informative, and learned to cook wonderful food! Especially enjoyed learning to cook claypot mussles.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Shannon W
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Traditional Cooking, Humble Host and Facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you are expecting flash cooking stations and the latest cookery gadgets, go somewhere else. This is humble, down to earth, rustic cooking at it's best. I did think it was a little pricey. We made chilli prawns, a noodle dish and doughy doughnuts. Our host and helper were lovely and accomodating and the group I cooked with were fabulous. The four of us came solo and ended up chatting, laughing and having a great day - by the time we left it felt like we'd known each other for ages! Unfortunately I didn't get any phone numbers or e-mail addresses, so girls (from Perth, Sydney and Singpore - moving to Belgium?? from cooking date 12/7/12) if you are reading this - send me a message, I'd love to hear from you!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Mel2309
Airlie Beach, Australia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Great fun.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

The best thing you can say is that we learned a lot and are using the "knowledge" now.
We had a real laugh between the 5 students.
We liked the fact it was in a home and not a clinical, commercial kitchen.
As you would hope the thing was well run and everything was included, including a pinnie, which I always need in a kitchen.
I have spent a lot more and got a lot less fun in other places. If you enjoy cooking, go for it.
I would have enjoyed a run round the block in Ruxqana's '72 Beetle. Maybe she should do Hotel pick ups in it?

Visited June 2012