“Good food but service only average”

Jack's Place Restaurant
Ranked #6,226 of 10,795 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
The Woodlands, Texas
“Good food but service only average”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Ate at the Great World City location on Sunday evening with my family. Our son has multiple food allergies which always makes eating at a restaurant a risky proposition. After consulting with the manager, we were told they could accommodate our son's allergy requirements by grilling his entrée separately from other items containing his allergens. Overall, the food was very good. The menu offered a variety of options so families with children should find something to satisfy everyone. The service was a bit slow and somewhat disjointed. Salads were brought at varying times and so were the entrees. We would have rather had our dishes held until all entrees were ready so they could be brought together. However, this was only our first visit so I have no idea whether this is typical for the restaurant since I can't compare it to prior visits. The manager and the staff we interacted with were cordial. The place itself seems small and tucked away in a corner but remember that this is not a standalone restaurant location; it is inside the shopping mall.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Steven M
JPPepperdineGroup, Digital Marketing Executive at Jack's Place Restaurant, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Hi Steven,

Thank you for the review. We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the food. We will take note of your feedback and strive to provide a better service the next time you visit.

Hope to see you at our restaurants soon!

Singapore, Singapore
“Good food at reasonable prices”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Jack's Place has a reputation for affordable lunches, and dinners, set meals are also reasonably priced with good quality, including at Great World City. Recommended

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Terence1974_12
Singapore
“The service standard has dropped greatly.”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

It has been a few months, since my friends, my husband and myself went to this restaurant.

The first thing we noticed as we entered the restaurant yesterday late evening, around 6:30 p.m. plus, was that most of the tables were empty. We got directed to our table quickly. We were horrified to notice that the cutlery were all still very sticky, and so my husband asked the waiter to re-wash the cutlery again.

Then when my husband's New Zealand steak came, it barely looked like a normal steak. He complained that the beef that they gave him were so old. And for the 2 pieces of steak which were poorly done, he was charged $28.00 for it, so he was definitely very disgusted.

My friends ordered the steak sandwiches, and were unhappy to discover that the fries were over-cooked, and so asked them to re-do it again.

When the manager came by our table, our husband asked him if the management changed recently. The guy didn't admit, but just kept quiet.

Given the severe drop in the standard of food and service, we are unlikely to go back to this restaurant again. My friend expressed that it was his most unhappy experience dining in that restaurant, and it had never been that bad before.

• Visited June 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent value with kids”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This review is for the branch at The Grandstand, which is not yet listed on tripadvisor.

So having a quick meal with my 6 year old picky eater wasn't that easy- we walked away from Grill Out next door when they told us they were going to charge for water. I had always shunned Jack's as I don't like to eat at restaurants that are branches of a chain, and I must say, this was to my loss.

So, frustrated, we went to Jack's. Grill out wanted to charge S$ 40++ for a steak, the only other choice being the same cut as a Wagyu, they didn't even bother to name the price.

At Jack's, we got lucky. They have a dedicated kid's menu, and my daughter chose a sirloin with fries and vegetables, which together with a glass of apple juice and followed by a scoop of ice cream came as a set for S$ 8.50.

meanwhile, I had so many different cuts and gravies to choose from for my own steak that I could have starved while making an informed choice. I ended up with a black pepper steak (tenderloin) in a sizzling pan, which came with a baked potato and vegetables. The waiter brought fresh sour cream, bacon bits and spring onion to the table so I could spice up the potato to my liking. I washed this down with a coke zero.

My daughter and I had a great time. This is no fine dining, but a very decent restaurant. And it was NOT smelly (see my Grill Out review).

Total cost? S$ 39++ for a kid's menu (steak, apple juice and ice cream), a full sized steak with sides and a coke. Just right for a happy meal with my little darlings! I guess I have to apologize for having been prejudiced. We WILL come again!

• Visited April 2013
“Cheap, Delicious Food, Beautiful Atmosphere, What else you wanna wish for?”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Sometimes during lunch, my friends and colleagues and I will visit jack's place for their famous set lunch! It's so cheap and delicious. The menu changes literally every day, with 2 choices of main course. Usually chicken and beef, or fish and beef. This concept is pretty exciting. The soup of the day never failed to make me happy. Pretty much all their soup of the day are beautifully seasoned and the garlic bread that comes with it is perfect. I'm a steak lover and therefore always ordered their beef course. Beautifully seasoned and seared on all ends, juicy steak. Sides that comes with the steak re also kept simple. As the food should always be simple, and not pretentiously added different flavor together like a chef gone mad.
I'm pretty happy with the desserts that came after the main course. Deliciously small cake, pudding or ice cream. I will be back for more!
After talking about the set lunches, I will talk about more on the Ala Carte menu.
Few days ago, several friends and I met up, and we had lunch at jack's place. We had escargot, oysters for starters. Oyster fresh, cheap and the garlic butter for escargot is wonderful! I had the Jack's Special steak. Asparagus and vegetables that comes with it are crunchy. Steak beautifully seasoned and sauce is wonderful! There's also visual impact with the dish although it's kept simple. We did not had dessert as are full. I will definitely come back for more!

• Visited February 2013