“Decent food, good service, shame about the decor”
Review of Les Amis

Les Amis
Ranked #88 of 11,181 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Description: As the flagship restaurant of the Les Amis Group family, the award winning Les Amis presents an exquisite French dining experience combined with an extensive range of fine wines and impeccable service in an elegantly modern setting. Les Amis, the French translation of "The Friends", is the sophisticated first born of the Les Amis Group family. In the 1990s, there was a dearth of independent fine-dining restaurants in Singapore's food and beverage scene. Les Amis filled the void by becoming Singapore's first independent fine-dining establishment when it opened on 15 March 1994. Executive Chef Sebastien Lepinoy's unique style and creativity of fusing French techniques with Asian influence, while focusing on the natural flavours of ingredients, ensures a delightful complement to local climate and palates. WINES: Les Amis boasts one of the most extensive wine lists in Asia and has been on the Wine Spectator Grand Award Winners for 18 years running, since 1996. There are only 74 Grand Award Winners worldwide, and 4 in Asia. With more than 3000 bottles housed in a temperature-and-humidity controlled wine cellar, the award winning wine list is designed to complement the modern and contemporary cuisine at Les Amis. Most of the wines are from France, mainly Burgundy and Bordeaux. New and Old World wines displaying high level of quality are also available.
Reviewed May 20, 2014

In retrospect this place was reasonable value for high end food.... $45 for 4 courses (no wine) My friend came for the angel hair pasta and gasped at the size of the dish ... Very small! Everything was pretty tiny, though exquisitely presented. I had a little quibble with some courses, perhaps I was just in a bad mood...Tomato jelly with avocado cream, the raw garlic should have been minced more finely ...fois gras (faultless), quail with ratatouille ....tasted a bit odd but maybe that's how it should taste.. Quail is not my favourite game bird and I think ratatouille is an odd pairing... Little dessert was pretty ... A little floating island with caramel hoops like a confectioner's gyroscope. Nice bread basket and madeleines with the coffee, a Proustian moment. Service was excellent, pitched just right. The atmosphere is hushed. I disliked the decor intensely ... Narrow room, very high ceilings, veiled windows (no view anyway)... Not a fun place... Others obviously liked it as it was crowded for a Monday. I just felt it lacked something .... Laughter probably...

1  Thank Jan E

Reviewed May 7, 2014

in singapore u can eat very cheaply or expensively. this is a great place to eat for value. everything was very proper. food was reasonable and extremely good value. some dishes were really quite well done, while some others were average.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

After I sat down, I realised I hadn't been here for 5 years. Why? I can't remember - in Singapore we are spoiled for choice?
We had the set lunch, always a treat when prices have a ceiling.
Delicious bread basket, withe appetizers. morsels of finely sliced tomatoes over eggplant caviar. delicious. Then a baked scallop with a thin light soy sauce. That went down well too. When the main arrived, we were glad that this was also not a substantial slab of many bites. Lightly baked wild salmon with a delicate accompaniment of scented salmon mince.
For someone lactose intolerant, the dessert of pannacotta (soy!) with mikan and lime foam hit the spot!
Washed down with a generous glass of bubbly - it was the perfect lunch to start the long Easter weekend!
Blissfully Blessed!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We had the 5 course set menu and thoroughly enjoyed every course. This is a very good restaurant. we found the preparation of the food interesting as it has the Asian touch to it so it is not necessarily what you may have dreamed up what the dish was going to look like. Service was very attentive and friendly as we found normal everywhere we went in Singapore. There were locals eating there, so as they often say in Asian cities if the locals eat there it must be good. Great wine list with all the usual French Bordeaux suspects at some seriously big price tags but there is something for everyone. You won't be disappointed and it right in the heart of towm atj the Shaw Centre corner, Scotts Road and Orchard Road

Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband and I went went to Les Amis last night to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Our table was in a corner next to a long sideboard where there were lots of wineglasses, bottled water and .... a table fan! Wow, superb ambiance. I felt like we were in our neighbourhood zi char coffeeshop albeit with better dressed people. To think the restaurant spent all that money on the decor and then have a dinky little table fan as part of the decor. Throughout the evening, one of the waiters would wander past us to fetch water or whatever was on the sideboard. And to add insult to injury or add to the atmosphere (?), one of the waiters nonchalantly turned up the fanspeed a notch. The food? When my husband called to make a reservation, he specifically checked that they have an ala carte menu. I am not fond of degustation/prix fixe menus and was assured that they do serve ala carte. Well, they kind of do. You can select an entree from any one of the three or four set menus and they will serve that to you as per an ala carte item. BUT the portion will be as per the set menu size. i.e. tiny. So, that of course meant we had to select a few items for our starter, a couple for our entree etc. What a joke. I have never been to Les Amis before and thought it would be quite nice to go to a restaurant that has been around since my husband and I were dating. Should have gone to Waku Ghin instead.