“The best hotel I've every stayed in”

Crowne Plaza Changi Airport

Reviewed August 28, 2008

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Iluvtheoutdawz
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I stayed at the new Crowne Plaza Changi Airport for one night in late July. The hotel is brand spanking new, very modern, a mix of metal and glass that is easy on the eye.
After a warm welcome and a smooth check-in, I went into my room and noticed it was facing the runway right off Terminal 3. Translation: lots of aircraft noise, at least potentially (it was nearly 10 PM by then and I had hardly slept over the previous 24 hours). Plus the in-room safe was malfunctioning.
I went back to reception to ask for a quieter room and was promptly given the keys to room 636, facing Terminal 2 (which is further away and therefore means a much quieter experience). My room was tastefully done, a mix of modern and traditional in an Asian sense, a little like the rooms at the Parker Meridien in NYC.
I slept quite well: the A/C in the room was whisper-quiet, the bed quite comfortable although perhaps a tad too firm (even for me!) and the sound insulation rather good. Something strange though: there is light coming from two frosted windows in the bathroom, so if you require total darkness to sleep, that might be a problem for you.
I got up late the following morning and showed up too last minute to have breakfast there; I had a look at their buffet offering though and was not impressed by their breakfast selection (buffet breakfast costs SGD28 and is usually served between 6:30 AM until 10:30 AM).
I also inquired about their Internet fee and learned they charge a whopping SGD0.85 per minute! Fortunately, the amount is capped at SGD33.00 for 24 hours (wired & wireless), so you won’t get charged over $100 if you happen to be surfing for a couple of hours!
The pool is rather large and sits in very modern surroundings. Part of the pool is landscaped; actually more than half the width of the pool is sprinkled with concrete blocks with a palm tree each in the middle. Not the best design choice, as the pool now allows for two or three people at most doing laps comfortably at any one time. I was alone in the pool the morning I was there, so no problem at all for me!
A few miscellaneous notes before I forget. 1- The hotel lobby is cool in a dark kind of a way, reminding me of the bar and reception area of the W Hotel in Montreal; this is definitely not your run-of-the-mill Crowne Plaza! 2- There is still a bit of construction happening at the hotel, I think they had about 100 rooms to complete when I was there; I wasn’t bothered by the noise, except while in the pool area. 3- The staff is friendly and gracious. 4- The showers have terrific water pressure. 5- Given the fact that this hotel is not fully operational yet, I think prices could come down a bit. SGD280 for their most basic room with no breakfast is a little steep, in my humble opinion! The place holds promise, though. And let’s face it: the Crowne Plaza beats the Ambassador Transit Hotel by a zillion miles!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marc M
Reviewed August 3, 2008

This brand new property was mine for 12 hours during a stopover in Singapore. My comments are brief here but the service was exceptional, the room very quiet (considering its on the airport!) and the facilities fantastic.

You can’t beat the location although the room rate (SG$260 for the day) and the Internet cost could be looked at (considering its free at the airport!).

Pros: Location, Location, Location – room facilities outstanding, New, Great service

Cons: Internet price and room rate

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SteveAucklandNZ
CP_Changi_Airport, Bryan Gabriel, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2008

Thank you very much for taking your time and filling out a review about the Crowne Changi Airport, we appreciate your feedback.

I was delighted to read your enjoyed the hotel's facilities and the location suited your needs. I have noted your comments regarding the internet pricing.

Reviewed July 29, 2008

Only had one night to stay before a flight the next day and I am actually sorry we had to leave. On arrival a staff member from them was waiting for us to assist us to the hotel and it was a lovely surprise. The hotel is actually right at the airport, we did not need to exit the airport area or cross the street. We got a very nice room, very modern and clean and the bed was very comfortable. We did take a look around the resturants, spa and pool area and it looked great. We were late tho so we had to use room service and it did not dissapoint. On departure they even assisted us all the way to check in. I wish all airport hotels would be like this.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank lisa026
CP_Changi_Airport, Bryan Gabriel, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2008

Thank you very much for taking your time and filling out a review about the Crowne Plaza Changi Airport.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay very much with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel where next time you will get to enjoy the rest of the hotel facilities.

Reviewed July 28, 2008

Great location, just off of Terminal 3. Nice place to overnight if you are in transit.

Room decor was fabulous.

But - no hot water in the shower. Did not realize this until the morning. The sink did have hot water, so it must just be a shower faucet setting. I would suggest you test out the shower temperature before unpacking, and if it is not hot, call the front desk and request a different room. This hotel just opened up about a month ago, so I suspect they have much to do yet before everything is perfect.

24 hours for internet is $38 USD. Ouch. But what are you going to do?

I rated this above average due to the convenient location for transit.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 13, 2008

Stayed for 1 night. The rooms look great but for some reason they aren't that comfortable. The bed was very hard, and the water was only warm - it was impossible to have a properly hot bath. The whole hotel was very dark, and a bit lifeless at this stage. I think this will improve when it opens properly (eg the non-lobby bar is still under construction).

Overall I would say it was stylish but lacking in substance, and, like all hotels in Singapore, overpriced. I would stay again on a 1 night stopover, purely because there is no other hotel connected to the terminal outside the transit area. It is, no doubt about it, very convenient.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellinAfrican

Crowne Plaza Changi Airport opened 6 weeks and I am pleased to confirm all facilities are now open.