“Pretty But Annoying”

Ranked #33 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Topeka KS
“Pretty But Annoying”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Okay, the room is pretty and the location in Terminal 3 is convenient. Unfortunately, that's where the pluses end. My one night at this hotel was a continuing series of annoyances and missed opportunities.

First, upon checking in, I was told, "unfortunately, your Priority Club membership does not provide free wifi at this property." Well, it does at every other IHG hotel in which I've stayed. That's misleading and unreasonable. I wandered out into the air terminal and used the free wifi there. But -- seriously?

Second, why in the world would an international hotel like this one not provide basic electrical outlets for use in the bathroom? No kidding. In all that lovely expanse of vanity, there was only one of those lame shaver outlets. Is this a sexist thing or what? No place to plug in a hair dryer or curling iron? Okay, so there was one outlet right around the doorway, just outside the bathroom. But the sad and pathetic hair dryer provided in the room had a cord that was so short that it was impossible to plug it in within view of a mirror. And (this will sound petty, I suppose), this was a hair dryer that shut off if you didn't press the button constantly. Sigh...

Given that I declined to pay the outrageous rates for wifi, I figured I could use the business center for my airline check-in and boarding pass printing. Uh, no. Despite the posted hours indicating that the center was open until 10:00pm, it was locked up tight at ten til ten. When I approached the front desk, they looked stunned, and wanted to know why I wanted to use it. Then I was told, "I'll have to find someone to open it." I hovered shortly and then gave up. I was tired, losing patience, and thought it unreasonable that I would have to stand around and wait for a basic service area to be opened up.

Lastly, upon check-out at 6:00am, I was asked to pay for my prepaid room. I'd opted for the prepay pricing, as the rate was somewhat less outrageous. Unfortunately, that didn't work either. "Sorry, but our system didn't actually run the charge to your account." In the end, that turned out to be true, but at the time, I was obviously concerned about being charged twice. To be fair, the follow-up emails straightening out the billing issue (after I arrived home) were handled courteously, but needless to say, this shouldn't have happened, and was a big concern as I was about to begin 24 hours of travel. This was the crowning blow on an already less than stellar experience.

I did not try any of the food service at the Crowne Plaza, and therefore can't assess its quality. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $40 for a basic breakfast. Oh, yes -- be forwarned that the "wall" between the bath and the bedroom is glass, which means you'll have no privacy.

I know any hotel can have an off day, but for the price point of this property, the Crowne Plaza should do better. I would prefer not to return, and don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Reefwatcher
SINCP, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Reefwatcher,

Thank you for your honest feedback on your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. We appreciate the time you've taken to share about your experience with other travellers on TripAdvisor.

I'm sorry that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. We aim to provide all our guests with seamless and intuitive service and I can understand how frustrated you must have felt when you were unable to enjoy this.

We'd also like to conduct further investigations into these incidences. We would greatly appreciate it if you could email more details of your stay to carrie.sim@ihg.com.

We are also taking your feedback regarding our WiFi into consideration.

Once again we'd like to thank you for your precious feedback and we will be working hard to present to our guests a better experience.

Crowne Plaza Changi Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (854)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had an overnight layover and found the crowne plaza to be just the relaxing break we needed in our long haul flight from sydney to Europe. The landscaped pool area was fantastic and that alone would make it worth staying here for. We stayed in a room with two double beds and it was very spacious and comfortable with good interior design. All furnishings were excellent: beds and pillows were excellent, as was the shower. Please note there is a blind to pull down for privacy in the bathroom. We had a room on the third floor, on the same level as the pool and the walk to the room is very pleasantly landscaped with great use of water and greenery along the walkway, very tropical. Also note I was worried about how cold the air-con would get in the room based on a few previous reviews, but in our room it was very good as it was easily adjustable and the vent was well-placed. Our room service food ranged from some absolutely delicious fish and chips to an average (but ok) pasta.

The only reason I considered taking a star off was that in this day and age I expect wifi included in the room rate, which it was not. But other than that, specifically for an airport hotel it was perfect for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third level to be near the pool, and the walkways are beautifully landscaped
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear TravelItAus,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. I'm pleased to hear that we met your expectations and helped you relax and rejuvenate after your long flight.

I'm glad you found our our rooms comfortable during your stay with us.

We'll definitely take your feedback on internet into consideration.

Thank you again for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Singapore!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is an excellent airport hotel. Located within terminal 3, only a few minutes from the Immigration exit. Rooms are large and spacious, with excellent storage space, large bathrooms. there is minimal noise from the adjacent runway and sleep quality is excellent.

The only nuisance is that the hotel is/feels partially open which can be unpleasant when raining or in extremely hot weather when walking from room to the elevator.

there is an excellent food court in T3 which I would recommend over the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Faded78,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. We appreciate the time you've taken to leave your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms large and spacious and were able to have a restful nights sleep.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Singapore.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had the most horrendous experience at this hotel!! A stranger actually entered my room at 01.30 am!! I am a female who was staying alone in the room. I woke to the sound of the door opening. Someone came in then left quickly. 5 minutes later I had a call from a Nadine in reception asking has someone tried to enter my room. She apologised saying they had no record of me checking in. How could this be because when I called room service earlier that evening they knew my name?!?! This Nadine then asked if there was anything they could offer me that I don't already have such as breakfast. I accepted breakfast, not sure why because I knew I wouldn't have it!! After the initial shock had hit me I suddenly get very scared! I wanted to Face Time home but I had no wifi in the room. I called this Nadine who had then apparently 'knocked off for the night' but I was given the wifi an assured that this would not happen again. I DID NOT SLEEP A WINK ALL NIGHT BECAUSE I WAS SO SCARED!!!

You have a lovely hotel Crowne Plaza - but your security STINKS!!! SINGLE FEMALES SHOULD NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank BeautyTravels
SINCP, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear BeautyTravels,

Thank you for your frank and honest feedback on your experience with Crowne Plaza Changi Airport.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the negative experience during your recent stay with us. Please be assured that this is an isolated incident and we have conducted an internal investigation. We have also in place preventive measures to ensure this does not happen again.

I also understand that our Managers has been in touch to share information and details of the investigation with you both in person and via email. However, should you require a more detailed explanation, we would like to provide you with the explanation and investigation outcome via phone again.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share with us your valuable feedback. We take your feedback very seriously and should you would like to get in touch, please do not hesitate to email me at carrie.sim@ihg.com.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel! Its not so close to the city but well connected. There are many airport shops if you need anything. Hotel is very interesting and well designed, lots of greenery and great swimming pool!!! Food is ok, little expensive so you can always eat at the airport restaurants or in the city. What makes it so special is that one feels at home.
Looking forward to staying there tomorrow :)))

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Shadowgirl1,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Changi Airport!

I'm pleased to hear that you felt "at home" while staying with us and that you were able to benefit from our comfortable rooms, seamless connectivity and proximity to Changi Airport Terminal 3.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last year and just recently stayed again but chose a Club room. The room itself was the same our previous stay with first class amenities, however it was situated to the side of the airport runway which made it quieter for sleeping. The Club room also allows you access to the club bar which provides internet access, meeting areas and a happy hour package for two hours that includes wines, cocktails, beers etc. and lovely tasting foods. Along with this is full buffet breakfast in the morning. This type of room is well worth it as firstly there is only Wi-Fi available in the Club bar and not in your room, we found the food enough for us for a light dinner followed by a hearty breakfast in the morning and of course all this located by the picturesque pool.

Room Tip: Choose a Club Room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear PandanBear,

Thank you choosing Crowne Plaza Changi Airport! We really appreciate the time you've taken to write this review on TripAdvisor.

I'm glad you enjoyed the facilities and amenities that came with your club room. We're so pleased to see that you found our club rooms a great value for money and had an enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you again for your positive feedback and for your recommendations to other travellers. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Singapore!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

A very modern hotel that is perfect if you have a long stopover and don't want to stay in one of the transit hotels inside the terminals.

The hotel is right above the MRT station and so you can easily get around Singapore cheaply by train from the hotel. You will be in the city in around 30 minutes.

The bars and restaurants are good and the pool is as good as you would find at many resort hotels. Because Singapore is so accessible from the hotel by train, taxi or car, you could easily stay here for a few days on your stopover rather than taking your heavy luggage into town with you.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank matthew f
Dear matthew f,

Thank you for the wonderful review of Crowne Plaza Changi Airport. We're pleased to hear that you had an amazing stay with us.

It is such a compliment that you consider us 'one of the best airport hotels around' and we will continue working hard on presenting this same experience to all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stopover or trip to Singapore.