“Fantastic”

Ascott Raffles Place Singapore
Ranked #102 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Quality of rooms and furnishing was beautiful. Spacious, luxurious bathroom with rain shower, top quality toiletries. the bedding and comfort were also 5 star!

The only con was the breakfast, very limited selection. There was no buffet.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank noorix

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed for business recently. Location is good if you want to stay near Marina Sands or the water and near business district. It is less good if you want to be near a supermarket or anything else on Orchard Road. There is a MRT right at the hotel. My room was outstanding - good view, massive washroom with spa and shower, two televisions, massive bed, kitchen and the list continues. It is great for long stays or people wanting to self cater. Every thing was very clean. Staff were very helpful. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank carnage99
Reviewed July 5, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 11, 2012

If you want a comfortable room with a decent kitchen, separate bathroom and some room to flop about this is a good choice. The Ascott is 3 minutes walk from the river, easy access to the MRT (tube) and a short cab ride to Orchard road. The price is right for the amount of space you get. It's clean, reasonably well stocked in the kitchen to cook something fairly basic and have breakfast and has a decent Bose sound system in the room. Don't expect something cutting edge and modern...it isn't. The breakfast area is basic but functional and the checki /check out can be a bit of a chore at peak times...but it still gets 4/5 for its location, space and price.

Room Tip: Book early because this place is often full.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I am just finishing up a three months the Ascott, which has been my home since I moved to Singapore. I have to say that I will be sad to have to leave this home away home.

Arrival and check-in was swift with a porter waiting to take my baggage from their car (slight disappointment in the car model) that picked me up at the airport, though, it was still nice to have this included.

I am staying in a one bedroom apartment which, of which the bedroom is big enough for a king size bed and large writing desk. There is also a massive walk-in closet with his and her sides of the closet and vanity area with a mirror, if you need to put make-up on or something. Off the walk-in closet there is a large bathroom with probably one of the biggest shower/soaking tub combos I have seen.

The living/dining area is a decent size with a kitchen as well. My only disappointment with the kitchen was the lack of an oven, which I would think they would have as there are many western guests staying here. I say this having lived in Asia for a number of years and understand that ovens are not common in apartments.

There is also a second half bath just by the entrance, which is nice if you have guest overs.

Room service was daily and I would say was hit or miss. Not to see that housekeeping was bad at all but you could definitely tell the housekeepers who went the extra mile. For example, I tend to be a tidy person but sometimes would leave my laundry on a sofa to fold after work and sometimes the housekeeper would have folded it all during the day but others wouldn't. I would not usually expect this but it just an example of consistency.

Everyone of the staff in the Ascott was superb and professional and I have absolutely zero complaints about the service. Anytime you asked for something they always attended to your request.

On the 19th floor there was a very cool pool. The far side of the pool is glass and overlooks Raffles Place. There is also a gym and indoor/outdoor seating area on 19th floor, which had a TV and served coffee.

I did not use the bar or restaurant but the bar in the lobby was simple and always staffed in the evenings.

If you are staying for an extended stay in Singapore, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

I did not use the rest

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank USHKTraveler
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I made a reservation for the Weekend Escapade Promotion for 26-27 May via email and the reply took almost 36 hrs to come. In the email, the following, together with other services, were stated:

Personalized check in
Welcome Beverage and Cold Towel upon arrival
Complimentary Late Checkout till 1600hrs

I didn't get my presonalized check in. I read from TA that some did get it. Why didn't my partner and I get it? Was it because foreigners and businessmen are worth their effort more than than locals? And nope, no welcome beverage and cold towel upon arrival too.

And the complimentary late check out? I had to ask for it. It was assumed that I will check out at 12pm. When I double checked with the staff (Shantell), she mentioned it was 'subjected to availability'. But the PDF confirmation form which I got in my email didn't state it (as shown above). She was polite enough to pick up the phone and call someone else, whom I will assume was the manager, to attend to us. On came this lady. She said she can offer us the late check out to 2pm. But I showed her the PDF print out again. And she said this, 'I can give you another room with late check out at 4, but I WARN you first, it's a handicapped room and a smoking room' with a irritating look on her face. Why must we be 'warned'? Can't we be 'informed' instead? Wrong choice of word does make one feel uncomfortable.

So up we went, level 6, corner room, studio premier. THE ROOM WAS EXCELLENT. It was huge. Made us forget about the bad experience at the concierge. The kitchenette was splendid, all utensils you'll ever need to cook all the meals are there: knives, spoons, forks, can-opener, fruit peeler, bowls, plates, coffee cup, 2 induction cooker and many more. Only scissors are lacking. Not a big deal though. Gaggenau brand stuff - microwave + grill oven, smoke extractor, dish washer and cooker. Googled the functions of the oven, and accidentally found out that it costs EUR 2999.

The toilet and bath area are another place that wow-ed us. Excellent placement of the bathtub where one and sit in and watch the TV in the bedroom area through a glass window. There's a drop-down film for those who require privacy while showering. There's a shower head and rain shower, excellent stuff. The toilet bowl had its own room, which had more than enough space for one to do their business in it. Toiletries are all of 'l'occitane' brand. Marble was their choice for the flooring. For those who wants to cook, the nearest NTUC is 1 mrt station away at Tanjong Pagar. Advise that you buy the ingredients before you go.

Bed area was great and spacious. Had an L-shaped sofa which we conveniently shifted to the front of the TV. Cooked our meals and ate it there. Floor is not carpeted, so no concern of dirtying it. TV had several channels, including local channels, channel 8, channel 5 and channel U, CNN, CNA, HBO, supersports etc. Enough to keep you occupied, although we brought our own laptop (connected to the TV using our own VGA cable) and streamed youtube videos via the provided complimentary wifi. Beds are slightly on the hard side but still comfortable. Blankets were soft and nice. 2 pillows for each queen size bed (which we pushed and joined them together).

At night when we called and requested for an extra box of tissue paper, it was delivered to us promptly.

Didn't try the pool and breakfast. The room itself was wonderful enough for us to cave in there for 24 hrs straight. Left a mess at the kitchenette. During check out, the staff will call someone to check on the room before letting you go. We left 'safely'. I guess the mess would be cleaned up by room service afterall.

All in all, the room was excellent. Will go back for another weekend escape again.

Room Tip: We got a room at the end of the corridor, which might explain why the room was big. It was very quie...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex_GCS
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Room - Studio
We have stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, due to flight delay we arrived at the hotel near Midnight. Immediately we were welcomed into the Hotel with very friendly service, and they already knew our names upon arrival. Check-in was swift and the reception personally brought us into the room and taught us the room facility and features. Very Nice and Exceptional Services!

The room was very clean, and since our room is a serviced apartment, it cannot be compared to the grandeur of a hotel. It is nicely furnished, although a bit dated, but you will feel quite at home.

Our room comes equip with a Kitchen, utensils, dish washer, washer and dryer. Which is a plus if you are staying for more than a week.

Location:
Taxi's can be arrange from reception, but are hard to come by on weekend due to traffic restriction. But closest MTR is "Raffles Place" which is 2-3 blocks away.

Price:
Price might slightly higher than your average hotel, but with their level of service and convenient location, it is worth the extra cost.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple