“Fantastic Serviced Apartment”

Ranked #103 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Fantastic Serviced Apartment”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I am just finishing up a three months the Ascott, which has been my home since I moved to Singapore. I have to say that I will be sad to have to leave this home away home.

Arrival and check-in was swift with a porter waiting to take my baggage from their car (slight disappointment in the car model) that picked me up at the airport, though, it was still nice to have this included.

I am staying in a one bedroom apartment which, of which the bedroom is big enough for a king size bed and large writing desk. There is also a massive walk-in closet with his and her sides of the closet and vanity area with a mirror, if you need to put make-up on or something. Off the walk-in closet there is a large bathroom with probably one of the biggest shower/soaking tub combos I have seen.

The living/dining area is a decent size with a kitchen as well. My only disappointment with the kitchen was the lack of an oven, which I would think they would have as there are many western guests staying here. I say this having lived in Asia for a number of years and understand that ovens are not common in apartments.

There is also a second half bath just by the entrance, which is nice if you have guest overs.

Room service was daily and I would say was hit or miss. Not to see that housekeeping was bad at all but you could definitely tell the housekeepers who went the extra mile. For example, I tend to be a tidy person but sometimes would leave my laundry on a sofa to fold after work and sometimes the housekeeper would have folded it all during the day but others wouldn't. I would not usually expect this but it just an example of consistency.

Everyone of the staff in the Ascott was superb and professional and I have absolutely zero complaints about the service. Anytime you asked for something they always attended to your request.

On the 19th floor there was a very cool pool. The far side of the pool is glass and overlooks Raffles Place. There is also a gym and indoor/outdoor seating area on 19th floor, which had a TV and served coffee.

I did not use the bar or restaurant but the bar in the lobby was simple and always staffed in the evenings.

If you are staying for an extended stay in Singapore, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

I did not use the rest

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank USHKTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I made a reservation for the Weekend Escapade Promotion for 26-27 May via email and the reply took almost 36 hrs to come. In the email, the following, together with other services, were stated:

Personalized check in
Welcome Beverage and Cold Towel upon arrival
Complimentary Late Checkout till 1600hrs

I didn't get my presonalized check in. I read from TA that some did get it. Why didn't my partner and I get it? Was it because foreigners and businessmen are worth their effort more than than locals? And nope, no welcome beverage and cold towel upon arrival too.

And the complimentary late check out? I had to ask for it. It was assumed that I will check out at 12pm. When I double checked with the staff (Shantell), she mentioned it was 'subjected to availability'. But the PDF confirmation form which I got in my email didn't state it (as shown above). She was polite enough to pick up the phone and call someone else, whom I will assume was the manager, to attend to us. On came this lady. She said she can offer us the late check out to 2pm. But I showed her the PDF print out again. And she said this, 'I can give you another room with late check out at 4, but I WARN you first, it's a handicapped room and a smoking room' with a irritating look on her face. Why must we be 'warned'? Can't we be 'informed' instead? Wrong choice of word does make one feel uncomfortable.

So up we went, level 6, corner room, studio premier. THE ROOM WAS EXCELLENT. It was huge. Made us forget about the bad experience at the concierge. The kitchenette was splendid, all utensils you'll ever need to cook all the meals are there: knives, spoons, forks, can-opener, fruit peeler, bowls, plates, coffee cup, 2 induction cooker and many more. Only scissors are lacking. Not a big deal though. Gaggenau brand stuff - microwave + grill oven, smoke extractor, dish washer and cooker. Googled the functions of the oven, and accidentally found out that it costs EUR 2999.

The toilet and bath area are another place that wow-ed us. Excellent placement of the bathtub where one and sit in and watch the TV in the bedroom area through a glass window. There's a drop-down film for those who require privacy while showering. There's a shower head and rain shower, excellent stuff. The toilet bowl had its own room, which had more than enough space for one to do their business in it. Toiletries are all of 'l'occitane' brand. Marble was their choice for the flooring. For those who wants to cook, the nearest NTUC is 1 mrt station away at Tanjong Pagar. Advise that you buy the ingredients before you go.

Bed area was great and spacious. Had an L-shaped sofa which we conveniently shifted to the front of the TV. Cooked our meals and ate it there. Floor is not carpeted, so no concern of dirtying it. TV had several channels, including local channels, channel 8, channel 5 and channel U, CNN, CNA, HBO, supersports etc. Enough to keep you occupied, although we brought our own laptop (connected to the TV using our own VGA cable) and streamed youtube videos via the provided complimentary wifi. Beds are slightly on the hard side but still comfortable. Blankets were soft and nice. 2 pillows for each queen size bed (which we pushed and joined them together).

At night when we called and requested for an extra box of tissue paper, it was delivered to us promptly.

Didn't try the pool and breakfast. The room itself was wonderful enough for us to cave in there for 24 hrs straight. Left a mess at the kitchenette. During check out, the staff will call someone to check on the room before letting you go. We left 'safely'. I guess the mess would be cleaned up by room service afterall.

All in all, the room was excellent. Will go back for another weekend escape again.

Room Tip: We got a room at the end of the corridor, which might explain why the room was big. It was very quie...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex_GCS
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Room - Studio
We have stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, due to flight delay we arrived at the hotel near Midnight. Immediately we were welcomed into the Hotel with very friendly service, and they already knew our names upon arrival. Check-in was swift and the reception personally brought us into the room and taught us the room facility and features. Very Nice and Exceptional Services!

The room was very clean, and since our room is a serviced apartment, it cannot be compared to the grandeur of a hotel. It is nicely furnished, although a bit dated, but you will feel quite at home.

Our room comes equip with a Kitchen, utensils, dish washer, washer and dryer. Which is a plus if you are staying for more than a week.

Location:
Taxi's can be arrange from reception, but are hard to come by on weekend due to traffic restriction. But closest MTR is "Raffles Place" which is 2-3 blocks away.

Price:
Price might slightly higher than your average hotel, but with their level of service and convenient location, it is worth the extra cost.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed here for 5 weeks for work and i enjoyed my stay. The first room i stayed in was the worst view possible ad this was on the 6th floor. My view was non existent and was facing the adjacent office building which made the room very dark. The second room was a big improvement with much better views.
The rooms are well equiped with good kitchen facilities and washing machine. There is Bose sound system which was excellent and the bathroom was very big and very clean and modern. I was very impressed with my stay. The staff seemed freindly but i did not have much dealing with them.
You are given fresh fruit daily and the coffee machine was very good. All up to date goods and layout of room is fine.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank sabrinaa
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed at the Ascott for a week while my husband worked nearby.
The hotel is in a fantastic location for anyone who is working around Raffles Place. It's also very close to the MRT station.
We stayed in a Studio Premier Residence room, which is a good size, complete with kitchenette, small lounge area and a generously sized bathroom (and wet room). The room was always clean and tidy to the point where they washed up our dishes left in the sink!
The bathroom is worth mentioning as it is well equipped with good quality amenities. The rain shower is excellent as were the large sink and deep bath.
Appliances were modern and easy to use, though if you couldn't work out how to use something, the room contains an instruction booklet, complete with pictures.
The rooftop infinity pool was beautiful and rather refreshing, perfect for someone who wishes to swim laps. Next to the pool is a gym and a nice reading room, complete with tea and coffee.
It is worth mentioning that this is not the place to stay with a family if you're holidaying. While my husband worked, I looked after our 7 month-old son and found travelling around with a pram very difficult. The MRT station is not designed to be able to wheel a pram through.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is working in the area and needs a quality serviced apartment.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The Ascott in Raffles Place is a Good Serviced Apartment Style Hotel in the Financial District of Singapore. The big banks are close by. It is also a stone's throw away from cool bars and restaurants. However, a slight trek to Orchard Road but not too far from MBS.

From the outside, the building looks rather dated. However, it is fairly new inside. The reception is minimal but it is what you should expect from an Ascott Residence. The reception staff were great and I didn't have to wait long as checkin was completed in the room.

The room was very nice and perfect for a business trip. The studio apartment's size was much more than adequate.

The only qualm I had was that parking was not included. In Singapore, this can be very pricey. However, it is a 'serviced apartment.'

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I booked a room under the weekend escapade package and did not have any regrets.

I feel that this place is even better than Fraser Suites. I chose Ascott over Fraser this time round so that I can have a basis for comparison and boy, I've found my favorite service apartment in Singapore.

The reception was great, fast and hassle free. It took me less than 10 minutes and I'm already in the room allocated to me. The room smells really good, is really clean and has symphony music when you entered the room. The amenities in the room is good too. There's a washing machine with dryer (together with detergent), microwave oven, cooker and hood, dish washer. Basically, a well equipped kitchen. The kitchen was fully utilized by me because my partner has food allergy so we always eat in. One negative point was one of the cooker was faulty and I'm left with the smallest one. It's really inconvenient. You have the option of closing the door that separates the kitchen and the room so that the room won't smell.

The room is huge as compared to normal hotels in Singapore. The room comes with a working desk too.

I love the toilet the most. It's huge. There's rain shower, normal shower and a tub. There is a glass panel separating the bath tub area and the bed room, if you're worried about privacy, you can always pull the blinds.

They have this awesome infinity pool on the 19th story and when I was there, I had the pool to myself and my partner had the whole gym to himself. He said the gym had really high end equipment. The view from the 19th floor was fantastic, especially at night. The Jacuzzi is on the 21st floor, you've got to climb up a stairway before reaching. The offices beside the hotel will be able to see you in the jaccuzi if you don't mind.

It is near the famous food place called lao pat sat. Sells really good food. I skipped the buffet breakfast provided.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple