“Very disappointing...”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
anywhere in the world
“Very disappointing...”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Let's start with the positives. They offer microbrewery beer on tap, its actually quite nice, and before 9pm it is reasonably priced (S$8.9 per pint) for Singapore. The ambiance is pleasant.

Hmmm.... cant think of any more positives. So on to the negatives...

The service is slow. Often didn't see my server for 30 mins or more. I wouldn't mind if the food was worth waiting for. But it was not. It just doesn't taste how it should. I don't know if has been toned down for the Singapore market, but it lacks those gorgeous flavours of the middle east. The kebabs from Shiraz are much better, and even their kebabs I would rate as "average".

That said, the restaurant was quite busy. Taking a look at the scores for this restaurant, it is quite an unusual profile, quite polarising. In other words, some people love it, whilst others hate it. Well, I am definitely in the hate camp. But you may well love it, you can only really tell by giving it a try. But it doesn't come with a recommendation from me!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank An0nym0use

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will never come back again.”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We have been sitting here for 2 hours. First one hour, we waited for drinks. For the next hour, they only change the charcoal for the sheesha once. After we asked for more charcoal, we waited for half an hour only to be told that the kitchen has closed and there's no more charcoal. Not only was the kitchen closed, the toilets were closed too and we couldn't use it.

Okay, so about the drinks. The coffee was watery and the Martel was mixed with water. The only dish we ordered was four pieces of nuggets on a scattering of fries. It looked like what you would get in a primary school canteen except it costed $7 excluding tax and gst.

Unless you have plenty of patience, wish to smoke only a few puffs from the sheesha and just want to eat a few pieces of nuggets, there are better options in Holland Village.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Shingalingaling
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“consistently delicious”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have been to Al-Qasr many times and it never fails to deliver quality as far as food is concerned. If you are adventurous like me, try the mince raw lamb (reminiscent of steak tartare). It is a must have with a very delicate flavour. The kebabs are all good and the mainstay for me.

Prasad the manager is always at hand to help and he aims to please. All in all, satisfying experiences.

• Visited July 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced & extremely underwhelming fare”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Went there for the 2nd time last weekend. I thought they were okay the first time. The second time confirmed that they are overpriced ($28 for a lamb kabob khash khash) which was average tasting and confirmed they are inconsistent with their food quality. Our guest thought her shawarma tasted like fast food from a mall. And the most ridiculous part is this is the only restaurant I have been to where they offer a humus dish but no pita accompanying it. Yes, you have to order the pita bread separately and pay extra for it! The waiter looked confused when I asked how one ate the humus if there was no pita. Clearly a rip off. Smelly washroom to boot. I would not go back.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Zenhunter
Tucson, Arizona
“Horrible Service, Decent (overpriced) Food”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We went over the Holland Village for dinner and of course all restaurants were full, except Al Qasr, which was maybe 1/2 full at best. We were seated quickly, then it went down hill from there. The waiter convinced us to order the most expensive foods on the menu, though we told he we just wanted light portions. We were with our young son who was very hungry. It took a long time to get our food, then the person serving had vast confusion. Then it went even further down hill. Our waiter seemed to morph into a cashier and the new waiters (who over I could flag down) would say "yes yes yes" then never come back. It took so long to to get the check that I eventually had to stand up and walk towards the door. The original waiter came back and apologized saying how busy they were, but the restaurant at that time was less than 1/5th full (I now understand why). The service issue was not unique to us, tables around us had the same problems - wrong orders, slow service, highly confused asian waiters.

• Visited June 2013