“Long waiting time and lousy service”

Jumbo Seafood@Dempsey
Ranked #131 of 11,590 Restaurants in Singapore
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tanglin
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was there on a Sunday to celebrate my mother's birthday in advance. We arrived at around 11.45am and placed our food order at around 12.00pm. The ticket showed that the order was keyed in at 12.01pm. We ordered Chili Crabs, Sambal Kang Kong and Mee Goreng. After 20 mins, the vegetables were served. After 40 mins, still no sight of the crabs and noodles. I asked the waitress whether the crab has to be captured from Sri Lanka to be served? She checked and informed that the crab and noodles will be served after 5 mins. I got fedup and went to search for a senior staff, who claims to be a supervisor. He informed that crabs take 45 mins to be served and hence the long wait. I questioned him why the vegetables were served first then and it's all cold already. Also, why wasn't the noodles served at all? His answer was classic, "we only serve noodles after all the other dishes. If you want them to be served together, you should have informed us." At this point, I asked him what kind of service is this??!!! The only service recovery given was a fresh plate of vegetables. No discount whatsoever.

Crab and noodles arrived shortly but the crab quality is bad. The crab is watery and does not live up to the Jumbo standards.

Service:
WORST ever! Seafood Paradise at the Flyer is wayyyyyyy better! Food served within 20-30 mins.
Staff is untrained in service recovery!

Quality of Food:
Bad! Mee Goreng has lost its standard. Crab quality is watery!

I will never visit this place again for the money I am paying.... I would rather go back to Seafood Paradise.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband's friend's daughter treated my husband and I to this restaurant for lunch today, as her parents happened to be in town, and her company was going to relocate her to London in March of this year.

We ordered seaweed fishmaw soup, chili crab and black pepper crab, fish, and 2 plain vegetable dishes, and man tou, and desserts. The chili crab is not really that hot. The soup was very tasty, the meat of the fish was very tender and the waiter reminded us that there were tiny bones in it, so be careful when we ate. The vegetable dishes were also just right to the taste. The man tou was also steamed perfectly.

The food was served very quickly.

The waitress was kind enough to ask the friend's daughter in the end if she was going to apply for their Jumbo rewards card.

The kitchen closed at 2:30 p.m. but we were allowed to sit until 3:30 p.m., as that is when the lunch shift was supposed to end.

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

I cannot remember when last I enjoyed a meal this much. The crab comes already cracked but there is still some minor work to be done. Utensils are provied and fun is to be had in scraping out the last gram of crab meat. It gets messy but that all added to the experience. We shared one crab between 2 people and the both left satisfied. Would love to try the pepper version next time.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Been here a few times, and this is my 1st review here, i think. There were 13 of us at the table and we ordered their set. Appetisers of bamboo clam and scallops with asparagas were ok, nothing fancy. The steamed fish was also so-so, though probably very expensive. The highlights were the crabs of course. I think Jumbo has 1 of the better chilli crabs in town, better than Long Beach and Palm Beach restaurants. Even the hot buns that you soak the sauce with are better. The pepper crab is ok, much like everywhere else. Service was average, they were very busy as usual, even on a rainy tuesday night, so you'll have to wait a couple of minutes to get service, but it wasn't too painful. Being in dempsey there isn't much of a view though, unlike the spectacular 1 Fullerton branch of Long beach, but that has poor chilli crabs

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Jumbo is famously known for its chilli crab in Singapore. However, it's black pepper crab is just as good. You can save a lot by joining the Jumbo rewards program (better than Long Beach restaurant). The place can get filled up during the busy hours so it is best to make reservations. Service is generally good. Would like to commend their staff, especially Ella and Dwi. :)