“Okay expat food in Singapore”

RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey
Ranked #645 of 11,864 Restaurants in Singapore
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tanglin
Description: The brand name RedDot traces my first encounter with beer brewing in South Africa. It all happened in 1997 when I was on a safari holiday at Kruger National Park.One afternoon, I passed two South African soldiers who were chatting away beside a military truck, which was parked a short distance from the stockade where I was staying. At that time, the thought of joining these two soldiers sitting in the open safari with lions, impalas and elephants roaming in the background really thrilled me. That would be the highlight of my South African holiday. Driven by this curiosity, I drove out of the stockade to find these two soldiers in order to enjoy this unusual freedom.The soldiers were also happy to meet a visitor from Singapore. They offered me an unlabelled bottled beer. Having a cold beer in the sweltering heat in the middle of nowhere was just great. I asked them for the brand and they said it was home-brewed. That was the first time I heard of home-brew. The South African soldiers assured me that it was easy to brew and directed me to buy the ingredients from a homebrew shop in Johannesburg.At one of the homebrew shops, I was asked whether I wanted to brew an Ale or a Lager. At that time, not knowing enough about beers, I was puzzled. The ingredients were packed and marked with either one red dot or with no marking at all. I chose the packet with one red dot. That began my journey into brewing. As such, when I decided to set up a microbrewery, RedDot becomes a natural choice of a name.Subsequent years saw me spending much time researching and building brewing equipment on my own in order to experiment and to create different types of beer. Finally, I decided to validate my brewing knowledge in the States. The course gave me the confidence that I was ready.RedDot BrewHouse at Dempsey is a passion that took almost a decade to materialize. Housing a brewery in a historical building that was rich in military history and set in lush tranquility was simply irresistible. An old dilapidated barrack was restored to what you see today with some of the original bricks that were 100 odd years old. Two and a half years later in 2010, we found another beautiful historical building at Boat Quay, south bank of the Singapore River mouth, a river that was the source of entrepot trade and life in early Singapore. The second RedDot BrewHouse now offers our signature beers from a row of old Chinese shop houses which is rich in commercial history of our early Chinese settlers.Beers, an age old historical beverage, to be enjoyed in age old historical buildings like Dempsey’s Tanglin Barracks (1860) and Boat Quay’s old commercial Chinese shop houses (1826). RedDot Beers, housed in rich history, rich in taste. Cheers!
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The brewhouse has a collection of different beers, including a green beer. Germans like coming here so the beer worth drinking.

The food is usually good, but the service was quite poor. This was the normal Asia experience of one meal being delivered and the waiting 15-20 minutes for the other people to get their food.

The restaurant is in an area with many others. It is within walking distance of the Trader's Hotel.

RedDot_Brewhouse, Public Relations Manager at RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Hi Ckgilbert Thank you for liking our beers. And I apologize for the difference in food arrival timing, the kitchen gets very full with orders on the busy days, but we definitely will take in customer's feedback and see how we can improve ourselves. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Always bring my overseas friends for a try out of the Monster Green Beer. This beer is awesome and do not give hang over the next day. Atmosphere is good n so is the food. BBQ is nice.

This a must try place when in Singapore.

1  Thank wkh0409
RedDot_Brewhouse, Public Relations Manager at RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for your continued patronage! We are always happy to hear our guests enjoying their beer and food, and sharing it with their friends!

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Located on top of a hill in a cluster of British colonial buildings. It has good atmosphere and good food. It has a brewery. Must try their signature green beer!

RedDot_Brewhouse, Public Relations Manager at RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for your feedback WK S!

Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

On one of our discover Singapore bike drives we discovered dempsey hill was nostalgic of some places we visited back in 2004 and trying to get to a restaurant which was open late to have dinner found reddot to save us it was a random visit but loved the place and love music was just so required. . Awesome place will visit again !

Hi Venkatesh, very happy to hear your feedback and we certainly hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Reddot Brewhouse is our "go to" place to bring our guests who visit Singapore. Relaxed, fun environment with plenty to look at while you wait for your food - which is consistently good! .. Oops not to mention you don't need to wait for the beers as it is served in a snap! Great place if you have little ones, too. Try to get a seat near the pond as it will keep the kids entertained. Love the green beer and the weizen. i suggest that you call them on weekends as this place is always jam-packed.
Service is also commendable , with friendly staff taking your order with a smile (not like other place that you need to key in your orders using iPad), you won't go wrong choosing this hidden beer garden

if you are looking for Good Tasting Beers, Good food and Good Service this could be your go to place too !!

RedDot_Brewhouse, Guest Relations Manager at RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you Ricci for taking time to feedback to us, we always love to hear guests sharing us with their friends and families! Cheers!