“Good location, great food”

RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey
Ranked #811 of 11,592 Restaurants in Singapore
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tanglin
Description: The brand name RedDot traces my first encounter with beer brewing in South Africa. It all happened in 1997 when I was on a safari holiday at Kruger National Park.One afternoon, I passed two South African soldiers who were chatting away beside a military truck, which was parked a short distance from the stockade where I was staying. At that time, the thought of joining these two soldiers sitting in the open safari with lions, impalas and elephants roaming in the background really thrilled me. That would be the highlight of my South African holiday. Driven by this curiosity, I drove out of the stockade to find these two soldiers in order to enjoy this unusual freedom.The soldiers were also happy to meet a visitor from Singapore. They offered me an unlabelled bottled beer. Having a cold beer in the sweltering heat in the middle of nowhere was just great. I asked them for the brand and they said it was home-brewed. That was the first time I heard of home-brew. The South African soldiers assured me that it was easy to brew and directed me to buy the ingredients from a homebrew shop in Johannesburg.At one of the homebrew shops, I was asked whether I wanted to brew an Ale or a Lager. At that time, not knowing enough about beers, I was puzzled. The ingredients were packed and marked with either one red dot or with no marking at all. I chose the packet with one red dot. That began my journey into brewing. As such, when I decided to set up a microbrewery, RedDot becomes a natural choice of a name.Subsequent years saw me spending much time researching and building brewing equipment on my own in order to experiment and to create different types of beer. Finally, I decided to validate my brewing knowledge in the States. The course gave me the confidence that I was ready.RedDot BrewHouse at Dempsey is a passion that took almost a decade to materialize. Housing a brewery in a historical building that was rich in military history and set in lush tranquility was simply irresistible. An old dilapidated barrack was restored to what you see today with some of the original bricks that were 100 odd years old. Two and a half years later in 2010, we found another beautiful historical building at Boat Quay, south bank of the Singapore River mouth, a river that was the source of entrepot trade and life in early Singapore. The second RedDot BrewHouse now offers our signature beers from a row of old Chinese shop houses which is rich in commercial history of our early Chinese settlers.Beers, an age old historical beverage, to be enjoyed in age old historical buildings like Dempsey’s Tanglin Barracks (1860) and Boat Quay’s old commercial Chinese shop houses (1826). RedDot Beers, housed in rich history, rich in taste. Cheers!
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Located on top of a hill in a cluster of British colonial buildings. It has good atmosphere and good food. It has a brewery. Must try their signature green beer!

RedDot_Brewhouse, Public Relations Manager at RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for your feedback WK S!

Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

On one of our discover Singapore bike drives we discovered dempsey hill was nostalgic of some places we visited back in 2004 and trying to get to a restaurant which was open late to have dinner found reddot to save us it was a random visit but loved the place and love music was just so required. . Awesome place will visit again !

RedDot_Brewhouse, Public Relations Manager at RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Hi Venkatesh, very happy to hear your feedback and we certainly hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Reddot Brewhouse is our "go to" place to bring our guests who visit Singapore. Relaxed, fun environment with plenty to look at while you wait for your food - which is consistently good! .. Oops not to mention you don't need to wait for the beers as it is served in a snap! Great place if you have little ones, too. Try to get a seat near the pond as it will keep the kids entertained. Love the green beer and the weizen. i suggest that you call them on weekends as this place is always jam-packed.
Service is also commendable , with friendly staff taking your order with a smile (not like other place that you need to key in your orders using iPad), you won't go wrong choosing this hidden beer garden

if you are looking for Good Tasting Beers, Good food and Good Service this could be your go to place too !!

RedDot_Brewhouse, Guest Relations Manager at RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you Ricci for taking time to feedback to us, we always love to hear guests sharing us with their friends and families! Cheers!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Went to this bar for the first time at the weekend with a very large party. We left our credit card behind the bar and asked for a tab to be initiated. The live music was great and the food was ok. It was pretty crazy and hectic and was difficult to get served sometimes. We ordered food and drink on our tab for a group of 4 whilst the majority of our group had a separate tab. At the end of the evening we asked for our bill and after checking it we paid up at the desk. The other table settled up and left afterwards. Our taxi arrived and as we were leaving one of the waiters came up and said there was a mistake and we had not been charged for 6 drinks. We felt this was unfair as we had already paid and were sure that our bill of over $200 was correct and no way had we had that many drinks. The manager was called and he was very adamant that we had ordered all the drinks on the extra bill. One of our group said that we had to get our cab but gave the manager his contact details so the matter could be sorted. Suffice to say that the manager was very belligerent and refused our offer to pay half the bill, we felt it was a genuine mistake on behalf of the waiter. We ended up paying the extra $120 but have been left feeling very ripped off and disappointed. Just double check your bill people !!! We will certainly NEVER go back.

1  Thank TriciaH516
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Third visit already. By now, tried most of the beers.
Wife loved the Monster Green for the novelty effect. It really is green beer!

We love the Truffle Lasagna too.
Portion seemed to have reduced in size recently, though.

For finger food, we tried the 1st on the menu - which turned out to be spicy chicken wing.
Wow. Really not for the faint hearted. Our lips were tingling after that. Spicy hot!
But then, never a better reason to down more beers, ya?

1  Thank TehTorng

Hi TehTorng, thank you for your continued patronage, yes it really is amazing how people take to the green beer and always happy to hear from the customers! You tried our RedDot Chicken Fagra, coated with Szechuan spice, it really is a spicy one. Cheers!