“Proper Beer on Boat Quay”

RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey
Ranked #805 of 11,075 Restaurants in Singapore
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tanglin
Description: The brand name RedDot traces my first encounter with beer brewing in South Africa. It all happened in 1997 when I was on a safari holiday at Kruger National Park.One afternoon, I passed two South African soldiers who were chatting away beside a military truck, which was parked a short distance from the stockade where I was staying. At that time, the thought of joining these two soldiers sitting in the open safari with lions, impalas and elephants roaming in the background really thrilled me. That would be the highlight of my South African holiday. Driven by this curiosity, I drove out of the stockade to find these two soldiers in order to enjoy this unusual freedom.The soldiers were also happy to meet a visitor from Singapore. They offered me an unlabelled bottled beer. Having a cold beer in the sweltering heat in the middle of nowhere was just great. I asked them for the brand and they said it was home-brewed. That was the first time I heard of home-brew. The South African soldiers assured me that it was easy to brew and directed me to buy the ingredients from a homebrew shop in Johannesburg.At one of the homebrew shops, I was asked whether I wanted to brew an Ale or a Lager. At that time, not knowing enough about beers, I was puzzled. The ingredients were packed and marked with either one red dot or with no marking at all. I chose the packet with one red dot. That began my journey into brewing. As such, when I decided to set up a microbrewery, RedDot becomes a natural choice of a name.Subsequent years saw me spending much time researching and building brewing equipment on my own in order to experiment and to create different types of beer. Finally, I decided to validate my brewing knowledge in the States. The course gave me the confidence that I was ready.RedDot BrewHouse at Dempsey is a passion that took almost a decade to materialize. Housing a brewery in a historical building that was rich in military history and set in lush tranquility was simply irresistible. An old dilapidated barrack was restored to what you see today with some of the original bricks that were 100 odd years old. Two and a half years later in 2010, we found another beautiful historical building at Boat Quay, south bank of the Singapore River mouth, a river that was the source of entrepot trade and life in early Singapore. The second RedDot BrewHouse now offers our signature beers from a row of old Chinese shop houses which is rich in commercial history of our early Chinese settlers.Beers, an age old historical beverage, to be enjoyed in age old historical buildings like Dempsey’s Tanglin Barracks (1860) and Boat Quay’s old commercial Chinese shop houses (1826). RedDot Beers, housed in rich history, rich in taste. Cheers!
Reviewed July 9, 2013

After many visits to Boat Quay, I had a new and very enjoyable experience last night at Red Dot Boat Quay. Obviously a very popular place because it was almost full, and it is easy to understand why. Some excellent beer from their own brewery and some very tasty food. Service was fine and a good bar/pub atmosphere plus of course the unique atmosphere and views along Boat Quay.
Definitely worth a visit. - for a proper beer or a casual but tasty food experience

RedDot_Brewhouse, Public Relations Manager at RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Hi Ben Yorkie, glad you found something new to enjoy, its always good to learn new experiences

There are newer reviews for RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Red Dot Dempsey is one of my fave watering holes. It's tucked away in the greenery along Dempsey/ Holland Road. Love the ambience (they serve set lunches!!) and service.

the beer is brewed in-house which guarantees freshness, not to mention affordable. Go for the tower if you have a crowd of alcoholics.

The service is not too bad either, i ve nothing to complain so far since i started patronising this place when it first opened doors years ago.

I especially like the Czech Pilsner which is my usual, if it's your virgin experience at Red Dot, you may want to be more adventurous and order a beer sampler - 6 or 7 little glasses of different beer, and the order a jug/tower of your preferred one.

I remember a drinking buddy of mine who purged a day after he tried the monster green (well he enjoyed the green beer). anyway i guess it depends on the individual, afterall it's made with spirulina.

Try the grilled sausages, wings, fries and macadamia ice cream while you're there. Dont bother to order the baby squids though.

In fact i am considering holding my engagement party at this place... Let's see what happens then.

RedDot_Brewhouse, Public Relations Manager at RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you DivyaLee, its your continued patronage that keeps us going strong!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Each time when I am in Singapore, I am visiting Red Dot. I love the place, especially the outdoor area. The beer I like most is the Pilsner - while the green beer looks cool (but is not that great to drink, to my opinion).
Highly recommended

2  Thank TopGunFun

Hi TopGunFun,
Thank you for visiting us whenever you're in town! And thank you for your feedback

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Lets face it, the claim to fame of this place is its green beer called 'The Green Monster'. That said the beer is fantastic (and brewed on site), and the food and atmosphere are also top notch to boot. Must stop location if visiting Singapore.

1  Thank mrt77

Thank you mrt77 for your generous compliment, we do agree it is a place to visit while in Singapore,!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Walked past in the afternnon and see they made their own beer.. that stuck with me throughout the day and had to go back at night to try some of that great beer.. its a MUST.. they also have nice food there but we just snacked on Satays and rings.. excellent location on Boat Quay as well.

Hey skipper, thank you for your feedback, glad you liked the beer so much