“Great food with soup Nazi owner..”
Review of Sweet Salty Spicy - CLOSED

Cuisines: Deli, Thai, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I am Thai and I think the food here is one of the best Thai food in Singapore. But this is a love hate relationship for me as I always feel not welcomed to hang out there by the Australian Owner, Christopher Millar. I am not sure that he is very concerned on how his staff serve clients or he really hope to turnover more tables. Everytime he looks at our table, I always feel that he was trying to hypnotize me to leave as soon as possible for the new clients to come in.

The food is fabulous and all their staff are very nice. The atmosphere is great but the parking could be a challenge.

I guess I only deserve to take their food home unless I come with a big group of people.

Reviewed October 1, 2008

Nice Thai restaurant with a difference. Not your run of the mill Thai place. I found the prices and service great and the flavor was unique.

Reviewed April 1, 2008

The food is pretty good but what I like is the deli western style of the place and the extensive drinks list. A real plus that it's near my place too!

Singapore
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Was okay only.

Reviewed February 16, 2008

This is our latest find - the Sweet Salty Spice Food Market & Thai Canteen - a real gem cloistered amongst the stretch of little eateries at The Rail Mall, just a couple of doors away to the right of Galbiati's. It was listed as a 'New Entry' in this month's Time Out so of course we had to go check it out almost right away.

It certainly wasn't disappointing. In fact, you could say that it was exhilarating - to have found an eatery so close to home where almost every dish that we tried was good. I understand that the owner is Christopher Millar, an Australian, who was formerly the executive chef at Poppies. In terms of ambience, it feels like a cross between Sydney and Bali - high ceilings, lots of light and sense of space, trendy even, and with Ku De Ta-like music to boot. Very casual. A nice place to hang out even in the afternoons. And yes, they're open all day for they have lovely home-baked items to go with your coffee. Not only that, you can do a spot of shopping for Thai ingredients at their deli. I also spied a roast duck salad sitting on a bed of green soba noodles at their deli take-out counter which I've subsequently tried with their pesto sauce. Very delicious and clean tasting.

We tried the crispy rice cakes with warm chicken and prawn chilli dip ($10). The rice cakes weren't great as their final bite in the mouth felt a tad chewy and sticky. Smaller rice cakes which would have been more crisp to the bite would have been preferable. Unlike the usual minced meat and prawn that one expects of this dish, this dip had shredded chicken and discernible pieces of prawn. My husband liked it but I was personally put off by the bits of chicken skin that came with the chicken. It made it a little too oily for my liking.

The salad of green mango, crispy salmon with cashew nuts and chilli lime dressing ($14) is a must-order. They were extremely generous with the salmon (and yes, it is crispy!) and the balance in the different flavours was well achieved. The turmeric marinated chicken with lemongrass, coriander root and coconut cream ($15) has major grill-hei (as in wok-hei) and is absolutely delicious. On a second visit, I tried the duck red curry which is also very good.

The mistake for us was that we should have had plain rice to go with these dishes. The fried rice of honey pineapple, prawns & chinese sausage with pork floss ($10), which we ordered, would have been fine as a stand-alone dish. It was a touch sweet.

We finished off with a steamed banana pudding with young coconut & pandanas essence. It was unusual. I would have preferred it if it had been less dense but the young coconut that went with it was a nice touch. Their flourless chocolate cake encrusted with sesame seed is to die for and the coconut custard pie comes up a mean second. They also have a good kids' menu which families should take note of.