“Excellent But Too Modern for My Taste”

W Singapore Sentosa Cove
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Muntinlupa, Philippines
“Excellent But Too Modern for My Taste”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have deliberated whether or not to give this hotel an excellent rating or not. The service is good, the room is comfortable and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. My personal preference for classic hotels resulted in a bit of downgrading its overall rating. Others youbger than me would probably give this hotel a rating of 5+.

My room had a king size bed, complete amenities, and on the three occasions when I had in-room dining were all good. My orders came in fast, the waiters courteous, and food is great.

Yet I personally felt some discomfort with the modern look, the lighting under the bed, and other lighting accents.

Even the appointments on the hallways and on the lobby looked nice, yet too modern for my taste.

I will recommend this hotel to young stylish individuals who can afford a hotel of this category. As for me, I do not mind staying here again should another regional conference by our media agency network should be held here. After all, I have no real complaints.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Hello Angelito P,
Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a nice stay overall. I am sorry that our design is not to your liking however taste in design is subjective, and our hotel has won many design awards in the past.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We spent one night at the W hotel and had a wonderful time. Owing to my oversight, I have accidentally reserved one night in March instead of February and was worried about the availability of the hotel accommodation upon arrival. The gentleman at the check-in counter was very helpful. I was further relieved to find the Welcome Manager, Rissa Williams, who was very professional and quickly came to my assistance and had my reservation rectified. It did not take long before the gentleman arranged a hotel room for me. The check-in process was fast and very efficient, probably under the leadership of Rissa.

We were amazed at the interior design of the hotel room as well as the restaurants. I had twice met the W Insider, Cara Loh who is amiable and always gives the guests a warm welcome.

We had breakfast and lunch at the Kitchen and drinks at the Woobar and enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere there!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hello RonnieHongKong,
Thank you for your lovely review. It is great to know you found everything here great! I will definitely pass your appreciation to Rissa and Cara, they will be thrilled! Please do come back and visit us again.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed at W Sentosa for 3 nights. At check in counter it was busy and overflowing with guests waited in line. Its no surprise since the hotel is holding an event that evening.

I originally booked a fabulous room and upon enquiry about possibility of an upgrade, the agent looked into her system and informed me they have a suite available but that would be around 5pm. GM of the hotel was wondering round the lobby and came introduced himself while handed out his business card. Nice gesture to see him doing that. Having said that, of all 70 nights I stayed with Starwood hotels last year, I only came across 3 GM's that I actually met in person. Kind enough I was offered a room to rest while waiting for the suite to be ready.

Soon after 5pm I was informed I got upgraded further to a Fantassic Suite with private pool (Room 744). I had stayed at many W worldwide before but had never felt so much at home and the friendliness of the check in agent simply blew me away. I read many reviews about guests having bad experiences with W Sentosa but this's definitely not in my case. Rissa Williams; a welcome manager is definitely worth to be praised for. She kindly upgraded my room and as energetic as ever in doing her job. If I go back there again for my next stay, first thing I will look for is her.
The room itself is big in size with separate living room and 50" television (if am not wrong). It has sliding door which lead to an outdoor sofa and a private pool. Although not large enough for a swim but it offers guest to jump in a have a refreshing dip from the comfort and without having to leave your own room.

Bedroom itself also large with another sliding door that connects to the pool and outdoor coffee table with 2 seatings. Bathroom is nice and has modern feel to it. Toiletries come in large size for a suite room and its worth noting that the bathroom comes with personal TV over the bathtub.

Breakfast was great and live up to W's standard though rather crowded. Pool is amazing and open 24 hours. Overall its an experienced that hard to forget and I will definitely come back again even if my meeting is in town I will make every effort to stay at W.

Perfect Stay!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hello SPGlovers,
Thank you for your fabulous review! It is definitely a huge pleasure for all of us to know you felt like a belonged guest here with us, that’s all we wanted! So glad to know your stay was wonderful, please do visit again and create more WOW memories with us.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We deliberately chose to stay here on a Mon (for 3 nights) to avoid any potential weekend mayhem (as reviewed on numerous occasions in Tripadvisor).

The W is located in a very remote part of Sentosa. It's great if you are after a peaceful R&R away from the shops & crowd (remember to choose an off-peak, weekday stay if possible).

Every aspect of this stylish hotel is way above 5 stars (I shan't repeat what others have reviewed before me).

The highlight is definitely the huge pool - especially since when we were there, no more than 10-15 others were sharing it. Total serenity. An area of improvement would be to employ friendlier and more personable pool staff (see Mandarin Oriental for example). The ones we encountered were "cold" at best. As the pool is the centre piece of the W, it is somewhat let down by it's pool staff. But that didn't deter the kids and mum/dad from having a great time at the pool.

A casual chat to the friendly concierge (Philippine guy - forgot your name, sorry, but you were very helpful, thanks :-)) revealed that they have bikes you could loan for a ride around the cove. Kids had an absolute blast. There's a Cold Storage 3mins ride away that offered a great selection of basic needs; avoid the very gourmet Jasons nearby.

Thanks also to the W staff for arranging a birthday cake for our little daughter. Much appreciated and the cake was delicious! :-)

Awesome gym too! Excellent (dinner) buffet.

Cheers...

Room Tip: Pay a few more bucks to get the pool view rooms - worth every penny. Avoid the weekends.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank We_L0ve_H0tels
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Hello We_L0ve_H0tels,
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to know we lived up to your expectations! Regarding your comments on our pool talents (staff), I will definitely take them into consideration and share with the team for improvement.
Look forward to welcoming you back.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights after having been staying at Marina Bay Sands.
The feeling of peace and relax was absolute from the moment we entered the hotel, only spotted at the crowded breakfast.
The 24 hrs open pool is amazing and with the right temperature to enjoy all day.
We had buffet lunch once at Kitchen, and breakfast every day, and room service for dinner, which were average.
Our room was a Marvelous with double beds, enough for 3 (1 adult + 2 teenagers) as there wasn't much space for a rollaway. Lighting fixtures and connections in the room are excellent. Marina view was nice and quiet.
Bathroom and Bliss toiletries were excellent also, as well as cleanliness.
Moving around Sentosa turned out complicated for us, because RWS shuttle takes more than half an hour from Whotel to Universal or other points of interest, the hotel's shuttle has limited hours and space, and taxis in the island are expensive and problematic.
Staff was helpul and friendy at front desk but unattentive at restaurants, mainly during breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hello Pam70,
Thank you for your review and we would love to have you and your family back at W Singapore soon.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We cannot be more pleased with the exceptional service and hospitality we experienced from the staff of W Hotel. A stay in the W Sentosa is more than just a pleasant and enjoyable stay. It is an experience!

A very special thank you to Ms Cara Loh, our W Insider who has well exceed the mark; upholding the W brand and prestige of this Hotel.

The room was awesome, the service is immaculate and the dinner at Skirt enjoyable.

This couldn't have turned out better.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Wings17,
Thank you very much for your nice review! It is indeed very nice to hear how our W Insider Cara went above and beyond for your experience at our hotel! I will definitely pass your message to Cara and the team.
Hope to welcome you back soon.
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed February 15, 2014

After reading a couple of reviews on the W Sentosa, I decided to choose this hotel for my honeymoon staycation. Boy, we were really impressed with the hotel and the service provided! We have been to other 5 stars hotel, but so far, none had services like this hotel!

Room - The rooms were very nicely designed. It is exactly as how you have seen from the website. We stayed in the Wonderful toom, the smallest room in the hotel, but yet we already find it pretty amazing. Although it is a little expensive, it was worth it as the room was spacious and we had the nice view of one marina. We loved the sound system in the room and the unique lights in the room! You can choose from pink, purple, white, blue, etc to suit your mood. The toilet is pretty amazing with a nice tub and showering area. The best part is, the design of the toilet is great that even when you use the tub or the showering area, you are still able to keep the toilet dry. The room had one of the best bed I slept in, but the pillows were a little too soft for my liking. The toiletries provided were pretty amazing, from the brand BLISS. They had a wide range of toiletries even facial wash and body butter.

Customer Service - Checking in was a breeze. This is the first time I that the customer service at the check in counter explained everything in detailed to us, from the room, to the use of the facilitates, the restaurants available, etc. Thumbs up for that! Apart from that, we notice that every staff who walks pass you will attempt to say hi or at least smile at you. The security of the hotel is also good as you have to place your room keys into the lift before going up. We would also want to give special recommendation to the people working at the pool and the pool bar. As we visited the hotel during the valentines weekend, everywhere was serving the Valentines Menu which we were not keen on having. The only place available with 'normal' food was the pool bar - WET. The bartender was really friendly and chit chatted with us through the dinner and offered great recommendation for the burgers there! The pool manager came by and said hi to us. When he knew we were on our honeymoon staycation, he actually surprised us with a lovely chocolate cake! Really impressed with this gesture made our stay even more memorable!

Environment - The only facility we made use of was the swimming pool. The pool was great and it was good to know that it is 24 hours! They even provided floats and stuff for guest to use at the pool that made it a nice place to chill out. There were plenty of chairs and even hammocks for guest to laze around in. Iced water was also served regularly at the pool. The rest of the place like the main lobby or the lift lobby is filled with cool art pieces that added to the atmosphere of the hotel. Drinks were also provided at the lobby. Although it was the Valentines Weekend, we did not feel that the hotel is overcrowded, but yet it was still cozy and quiet that made this trip really relaxing.

Other services - The Wifi provided had very strong connection and we could connect our gadgets to the wifi anywhere in the hotel! They also did not limit the number of gadgets we could connect to. Breakfast buffet served was also pretty amazing and they provided stuff which we seldom see from other hotels such as egg Benedict and home-made jams and spreads! There was also a selection for local delights and dim-sums, apart from the usual breakfast meals.

We would definitely recommend people to visit this hotel and thank you for living up to the expectations of the 5 star hotel. You have provided services beyond our expectations!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Hello Shirloves,
Thank you very much for your review. It is great to know you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel – along with the breakfast of course, it is truly amazing! Thank you again for your review.
Please do come and chill with us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sentosa Island
Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
#10 of 13 in Sentosa Island
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#38 of 315 in Singapore

Been to W Singapore Sentosa Cove? Share your experiences!