“W.....WOW OR WHEW, EITHER WAY IT GRABS YOUR ATTENTION”

W Singapore Sentosa Cove
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We were in Singapore visiting friends, and decided to drag them along for a weekend at the 'W' hotel. For starters the drive through the area is beautiful - green, spacious, luxurious and very scenic. We drove up to the hotel and the 'W' brand lived up to its reputation in every way. You can love it or hate it, but you definitely cant ignore it. The aesthetics are quirky, fun, bling and very different from the regular luxury brand of hotels. The check in was smooth and the staff were co operative and helpful. The allotted us a nice suite -spacious and not quite as 'in your face' as the lobby or then the fuchsia walled elevator....
We had a couple of drinks at the bar, where the presentation of the Bloody Mary's was very impressive!! Post lunch I settled for a nap and woke up an hour later feeling very warm. The air conditioning in the bedroom was not working properly. The sitting room was cool and comfortable, but by now the sleeping are was getting stuffy and uncomfortable. We called the reception to complain and then headed down to the poolside assuming the problem would be looked after by the time we returned. The room however was just as warm. The technician returned claiming the AC was fine and recording a room temperature of 19 degrees, which was completely absurd as it was distinctly warm. They tried giving us a few excuses for the variation in temperature between the sitting room and sleeping area, but the thought of spending an entire night in discomfort made us hold our ground and demand a room change. The gentleman in charge said their were no suites available so he would need to downgrade us to a regular room. By now we were a little agitated. For starters we had requested a smoking room, which they had overlooked and appointed us a non smoking one and now they were threatening to downgrade us. That is when Tan Kim Lian stepped in. We were upgraded to their highest category of suites......a massive room with a separate study, walk in closet, a kitchen, enormous living area, dining room, bedroom ,a private pool and a huge deck. They were so many gimmicks and gadgets that we would have had to stay a week to figure out how to operate all the facilities provided. This suite was in line with their signature style....completely funky and out of the ordinary. Hereafter the service was smooth and efficient.. Breakfast the following morning was nice, though being a weekend the restaurant was very crowded and possibly for the first time ever we actually stood in a queue to enter the restaurant.....Thank you Tan for intervening and ensuring that we ended up having a really comfortable and fun stay.....I have a feeling we'll be back soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Hello Anjalikhosla,
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read you had such an enjoyable stay with us, liked the hotel design and our funky furniture! Sorry it longer for our technician to fix the aircon in your room and I am glad you and your family are happy for our Director of Engineering – Mr Tan’s arrangement.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,996)

Reviewed November 28, 2013

It's nice hotel and they upgrade us a suite with excellent view. You could enjoy the rich life there, just walk out and enjoy the air and walking near the sea. Nearby is the rich people area in Sentosa. Hotel provides free shuttle to many places, so no worry about your needs. in the evening, become colorful hotel. I may stay here again if I visit here. The only thing I complaint is their internal communication not good, hotel want me to pay lost things but they were not there when check in. Thought they apologied finally, but still a bad experience after checking out. Overall, it's excellent stay but worst after check out.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard C

Hello Richard C,
Thank you for you feedback. I am glad you had such a wonderful stay here with us. Regarding to your comment of our internal communication, I do appreciate your comment and we surely will take note about it.
Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

The W Sentosa wants to wow customers with their Away Spa. Prices for the packages are sky-high, so were expectations when I went over for my first treatment there. Bottom line: very disappointed.

I arrived after a work-out and wanted a snack or a protein shake. I was offered a small cup of tea and some dried fruit. While the homepage advertises cocktails and snacks, there is nothing available at the gym and spa. I was told to go to the restaurant and allow at least 30 minutes to get anything.

The check-in experience was already unprofessional: While I had booked a deep-tissue massage and asked for a dedicated therapist, there was no note of anything. A quick tour of the facilities unveiled that the steam room was out of order (which was not mentioned the day before when I made my reservation) and the salt water pool just featured some lavender infusion. There is no Finish sauna but a low-temperature infra-red one.

The Away Spa knows exactly what you want and they don't waste any time: I was told to change and lie face down. There is no welcome ritual, no foot bath, no nothing. Choice of music? No. Choice of temperature? No. Choice of pressure? No. Right down to business.

Check-out is equally underwhelming. Feedback doesn't matter. And calling a taxi for you? Not at the W. Why don't you line up with other guests and socialize a bit?

Looking at what the Away Spa is offering and looking at what they are charging, I have only one recommendation: Change the name. Welcome to the Stay Away Spa.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank SMK77
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Hello SMK77,
Please accept my sincere apologies. It is frustrating to learn about your experience at Away Spa. Spa is a place to provide treatment, let you to completely relax.
Please allow me time for investigation. I have never received a complaint about this in the past, our talents (staffs) are well trained and it is unacceptable if our talents did not even care if the pressure if good for you or temperature in your treatment room. I am sorry if our communication for your massage booking was not clear, I will also remind to my team to remind guest if there is a maintenance works/repair works the day before their booking. I believe with better supervision in this instance we could have prevented much of your dissatisfaction.
Hope you will give us a chance to welcome you again.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

its a good nive hotel, my only points are the smell of the hall and room is smoke which wasnt nice at all, and the deposit system is loser, they charge u per rppm and per night

the spa is very nice and the service also

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed 2 nights during a seminar that was also held in the hotel. Fantastic design, quirky corners that stimulates the senses, excellent food at the 2 restaurants (Kitchen Table and Skirt).

Wide selection at the breakfast buffets, lunch buffet spread was an eclectic mix of seafood, roast meats, sashimi and other local/western staples

Where it falls short is in the area of customer service, which did not reflect what is expected from a top class establishment

Room Tip: The Fabulous Double Room comes with 2 double beds, can accommodate 2 adults + 2 kids
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Hello Tsien W,
Thank you for your comment. It is nice to know you enjoyed your stay here! Glad you tired out the kitchen table and skirt. I will share your comment of customer service with my team and make sure they should keep up the energy and enthusiasm towards guests.
Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Positive score: 5 star property delivers it's posh design image and landscaping; however a lot of improvements are needed on service and attention to details.

Room: unique design & interesting lightings-checked (lay out a bit boring though)
Swimming pool: cleanliness & temperature-checked (assortment of floats were nice touch)
Room service: food quality& menu-checked; but long wait time and missing cutlery=4star hotel
Breakfast: food options and service attentiveness-checked; food quality=4 star hotel.

Negative score: RED Alert: overly strict on "NO in-room hotel slipper admitted rule" are a bit much (saw at least 4 different hotel guests wearing hotel slippers being rudely turned down by the manager and staffs when there are no sign on dress code). Arguments were loud enough to be heard by other guests; and only yield into rounds of interesting conversation among other guests who didn't even know such rule applied and round of exchange of ideas of how the manager could have handled the situation better, or even prevent this from happening (after all aren't we on vacation?)

So overall, as the hotel is relatively new, it may be able to leverage the "wow smell new" factor and get away with these important details; but it will have tremendous challenge to build strong repeat-customer base with strong competition, especially in Singapore. The hotel needs to train their staffs, especially in providing a good balance of service and rules. The hotel needs to better equip itself to convey the "rules and regulations" if it wants to insist many of them to their customers.

In today's competition these are some common sense expectations from most hotel guests like me. Andrew L Smith

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Hello Indra L,
Thank you for your constructive feedbacks. I believe keep doing better is part of our culture in general. I will be watching closing with my B&F team that our duty manager or B&F manager could have managed the situation better. We will consider to put up a sign for the dress code for breakfast venue or guests will be briefed by our welcome desk while check in. We are stepping up related training and supervision to difference level of talents (staffs) accordingly. Again thank you for your feedback.
Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Ws in a few cities. Decided to tryout W Sentosa for a short break. As expected the rooms and service generally great but let down by a total crush at breakfast. Looks like the are prioritising in house guests In favour of walkins. Result, bring ur rugby gear!!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello IndoOne,
Thank you for your comment. I am glad our rooms and service had met your expectations. In regards to your comment of our breakfast area, I am sorry to learn about your experience, please allow me to share with you, “Skirt” our second restaurant has been opened for breakfast since mid of this year, I am sure it makes a difference. Please give us a chance to show you the difference soon.
Look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sentosa Island
Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
#10 of 13 in Sentosa Island
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#40 of 317 in Singapore

Been to W Singapore Sentosa Cove? Share your experiences!