“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We were on a business trip in Singapore and stayed here for two days. The hotel was just open and looked amazing. Beautifully done! All the things you would expect from the W brand!...
Check in took a little while, but the executive chef made sure that we were taken care off and offered a drink in the wonderful bar.
Rooms was very comfortable, staff very friendly and informative and the food was great! LOVED The Skirt! Amazing display of aged beef and copper pans and the food itself so tasteful! Impressive!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Hello ReneKnudsen,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. I am glad you read you had a great experience with us. I will share your kind works and to recognize our executive chef and my team!

Hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Very nice hotel with a fantastic pool. Real resort feel, ideal for a relaxing break in Singapore. Rooms are typical W hotel style with funky colours and little decorative features. Very modern. The hotel is beside the Sentosa marina and there are some nice restaurants alongside so it is possible to just stay in this area for a long weekend if you wish.

The downside is that the location is very isolated and it can be difficult to get out of during peak hours as taxis are not always readily available (generally they have to call a taxi specifically for you which can take time). Also, whilst this is located on Sentosa, it is not part of the Casino or Universal Studio developments, it is located in the residential area which is further away. You would need to get a bus (I assume that this is possible) or a taxi to go to either of these places, it is too far and too hot to walk.

If you want a relaxing get away in Singapore, then this is right place for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello Ken M,
Thanks for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us. We hope to see you again on your next getaway.
Best Regards,
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We had been to Singapore for a week and stayed at W Hotel for 3 nights. The hotel gave us a very good impression in particular the interior decorations, room amenities, swimming pool and buffet breakfast. However, we ended up my journey in Singpore with frustrations coming up from the stay in W Hotel because:
a) The shuttle bus schedule from the Hotel to Resort World and other areas, e.g Vivo City was very infrequent. Say, if we missed the one at around 11:00am to Resort World, we have to wait until 1:xxpm.

b) In view of the reason above, we have no other choices but to call taxi. There is a notice at the Hotel entrance telling that passengers have to pay an extra $3 for calling taxi. We were also explained by the staff that if someone got off the taxi at the hotel entrance and we hired it afterwards, the $3 dollar would not be required. However, this was not true. We were still charged by the taxi drivers on some occasions. We really felt confused of the information provided by the staff.

c) On one night, we travelled from the Hotel to Night Safari after 6:30pm with peak hour surcharged imposed. The taxi fare came up to around $3x. But the return trip was 1/3 higher and took us longer time to go back to the hotel. We were puzzled and made an enquiry to the hotel staff. But the staff just told us that this was normal. The taxi driver might also choose a less direct route for the passengers. The hotel staff did not have any idea how much we passengers should pay. To me, I was quite surprised to know this especially when I compared the services provided by the staff at W Hotel in Taiwan. I understand the unfair payment was not the fault of the hotel staff. But from a tourist's perspective, we did expect the hotel staff could provide us some relevant information. Since I persisted to relay my feedback to some responsible parties for making improvement in future, the customer services manager then promised to take this up for follow up before the day we checked out. He took my taxi fare receipt for the purpose. To my surprise again, noboday updated me about the progress even when I completed the check-out process. I need to send an email to the manager a week after my vacation for enquiring the details. Then he told me the enquiry had been sent to the Transport Department for investigation. However, they anticipated the chance of refund was low. I felt really disappointed of such reply. The purpose for me to send such an enquiry was to understand if the taxi driver had picked the fastest and cheapest route for the passengers. If not, the Transport Department should try to do more on the improvement measures for uplifting the taxi services. The time spent on making the enquiry and writing such a comment is much more expensive than the extra taxi fare we had paid.

d) The food quality of the buffet breakfast at Kitchen Table was excellent, not only fresh but also with a lot of varieties. But the staff were not so friendly in paricular those inside the open kitchen. They served the clients without any smile which made me feel a bit uneasy. On the other hand, the dinner buffet was not so up to standard though it costed around $70 per adult. Limited choices for the appetizers, main dishes and desserts, no drinks provided....What even worse was that we paid for the dinner buffet through the travel agent already and confirmed of such when we checked in. After we finished the dinner, someone show us the bill and we still had to pay. I need to stay in the restaurant for over 20 minutes awaiting them to check the bill. Then I needed to search the relevant emails from my smart phone and fowarded them to the customer services manager for follow up. On the day of check out, still no one updated me about the payment!!! I had to make the initiatives to expalin every single details to the hotel staff at the check out counter again and ask for clarification. Seems that I was the one who made the mistake. We also ordered drink and snack at the pool but they missed the bill again. The whole check out process was in a mess.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello Hilda M,
Thank you for taking your time to write us your comments of our hotel, I am very sorry to learn about your experience. Please allow me to answer your review accordingly.
First at all, apologize on behalf of my talents as they did not make it clear for you on the cab surcharge, as surcharge apply for peak hour and late night in Singapore, and 3 dollars booking fee is standardized for all advance booking. I will brief my concierge talents to better prepare themselves and look for other talents for help if they do not know the answer or information.
In regards to our talents at the kitchen table, I will remind our talents should be more friendly and helpful at the kitchen table and I certainly will talk to them about this. Regarding to your bill and I am sorry for the confusion, please ensure this is not our W standard and I wish we can deliver you a true W experience with us, please do give us a chance again to welcome you back.
Do let me know if you happen to visit us again, I will certainly do my best to welcome you.
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am currently stay at the W Resort with my husband on our honeymoon. This resort is unbelievable.
From the minute we arrived the service was incredible and nothing was too difficult for the staff. First off we were upgraded and then as we required a room with a balcony we were advised it was not ready yet and given a seat at the bar and treated to complimentry cocktails, after a long flight from freezing melbourne we really enjoyed sitting on the terrace sipping cocktails while we were waiting. Yesterday my husband ran out of ciggerettes (apparently you cant buy them in arrivals at changi airport) and I called the "What Ever When Ever" line to ask where we can buy some and to my surprise the amazing Melissa said she would send one of the staff out to buy some. I got a phone call shortly after advising all the staff were busy and Melissa her self had gone to the shop to make the purchase! Soon after there was a knock at the door with a box of amazing chocolates and a card from management welcoming us on our honeymoon (these chocolates were amazing to say the least) followed by Melissa and the ciggerettes!
Right now i am now sitting on the balcony enjoying my coffee and the gorgeous view of the yachts on the marina while my husband is at the gym (he says it the best gym he has been to in a resort)
As avid travellers I have to say this is one of the best resorts I have stayed at from the facilities to the service every really is WoW!
Thank you to W Resort Sentosa staff, I know it's only day 2 of our stay but we are so impressed and can't wait to spend the next few days here and I'm sure we will be back again soon!
S and D D'Atri

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank SuzanneDAtri
Hello SuzanneDAtri,
First of all, thank you for the fantastic review. We strive to provide excellent personal service to our guests; we are delighted to have impressed you by our Whatever Whenever service! I am sure to share your compliment to Melissa, this will be the best way to motivate her and her team!
We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back again. Perhaps, we will see you again on your anniversary next year?
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

First experience and very memorable. The decor is really cool. Everything from service to food to meeting package, is excellent. Will definitely return for another wonderful experience.

The overall hotel, and breakfast area is considered rather tiny, as in land-scarce Singapore.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Yuzimomo
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hello Charlotte D,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. Glad to know you had a pleasant stay with us and you will be coming back!

Look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Made it back for a three night break in an Away room.
Well worth the experience albeit an expensive one which reflects the way prices for everything have risen in Singapore.
Excellent check in and very good welcome.
Separate entrance through the Spa reception, quirkiness of decorations abound as per previous review but all add to general feel good atmosphere.
Very comfy room and added benefit of your own sun terrace and dip pool with a nice double day bed. Only draw back as we found after settling in was the from the family next door. Two very noisy children in close proximity in next doors dip pool was enough to drive us indoors. I do not want to appear selfish but I thought the idea behind these rooms was for a peaceful retreat for couples?
Great amenities in the room, excellent bathroom, signature bed all provided for an enjoyable stay and no more disturbance after the first day.
My only other negative point to make is that some effort required to keep the floors clean...appeared that no effort made to clean up dust and other collected debris during our three day occupancy.
Excellent food again, afternoon tea was a treat in the lounge and very enjoyable.
Hope to return again soon for the W experience in Singapore!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Hello ExpatKL88,

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you had a nice stay with us at W Singapore Sentosa Cove. We get great feedback from our guests about the Away room and the private dip pool, I’m truly happy you liked it that much!

In regards to your comment of the floor, I will share your comment with my team and we will certainly take your advice for improvement.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I just spent the weekend in W Sentosa for a fabulous wedding. I was very excited to stay in a W hotel. I have hung out in W properties but have never actually stayed in one. The place was really FUNKY. I loved the young party theme - it just feels SO COOL to stay in the W hotel. Hands down very unique, youthful, and has a "clubby" feel to it.

It fell through though on the service side. It didn't meet my expectations of the reputation that the W hotel group has built. Other than a handful of great staff, the rest were mediocre. Most of the good staff were mostly at the front door and the people in suits greeting and assisting in the lobby.

THE DOWNSIDE:

-Breakfast: the food selection was good. It is just getting / ordering the small things. Filling up our glasses with water, it is so difficult to get the attention of the waiters/ waitresses, several times we ordered things like coffee etc, it did not arrive.

-We had afternoon snacks and they weren't ready for us as several tables filled up. They immediately responded by putting more staff but we weren't handled properly. We ordered food and dishes that we did not order arrived and dishes we ordered did not arrive. It was a bit chaotic and the male waiter looked peeved at us as we corrected them. This was really wrong and it wasn't our fault at that. Moreover, we tried to order hotsauce and we literally finished the pizza before the hotsauce arrived after asking 3 people for it, even a guy who we think was a manager. (note: The pizza was good, the burger was good, the papardelle pasta was not good, stir fried wok chicken with basil was bad. I think stick to the local singapore dishes, these were better.)

-I tried to extend my room and called twice. I couldn't extend my room according to the hotel for one more day and they helped me try to get a room in Sentosa. EVERYTHING was full! (note: if you want to spend a weekend in Sentosa, plan ahead) I went down to the reception and she extended my room immediately. Then when a friend tried to extend his room 5 minutes after, he couldn't. I knew there was something wrong but I let it pass. The next day, they tried to make us check out by sending a person to our room to check if anything was consumed in the minibar from the night before (which I found rude, as if shooing you away) and by calling us in the room telling us it was not possible to extend. I got on the phone and told her who exactly I spoke to and the operator called back in 5 minutes and told us that we could keep our room.

-We were a big group. One of our group members had a suite and requested his room to be cleaned while he was having breakfast. He was told that they were prioritizing rooms that were checking out and he would have to wait. He said that ok so can I check out and check in again? Make a long story short they ended up agreeing to clean the suite anyway.

-Funny, our friend also asked if she could cancel her room. The person told her that they would be very happy if so because they were so full/ overbooked. Offense wasn't taken as she found it funny, but she found the reply strange!

Overall, we had a great time in the hotel, but so many small things didn't make us feel at home. There was none of the extra touches that would make it an amazing stay and a lot of small annoying things that would make you think twice about staying there again.

It is obvious that the W hotel is fully booked and will have no problem getting full. But they should keep the service up to par to keep great name the W group has built around the world.

Room Tip: Get a room with the view of the yacht club and the pool. The view is wonderful. There is nothing t...