“Great Hotel”

W Singapore Sentosa Cove
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights over the weekend with our 3 kids, aged 9,6 and 1.

The Fabulous room was sufficient for all of us and it was clean, comfortable and spacious.

I liked the location of the hotel too with an amazing view from our room.

The pool, gym were great and well-quipped. My kids loved the pool though it did get a tad crowded on saturday. It was strange though that when we went to the pool, they told us there was a limit to the number of towels per room though when staff saw that we had 3 kids, gave us more towels. We also got to see a famous football star which made my husband's weekend.

And I loved the buffet breakfast at the Kitchen Table. Not a huge selection but good quality, well-presented food (which is more important).

The only gripe i have is the lack of a shuttle service from the hotel to other parts of sentosa island. It was ok as we had our car with us but I would think it is not so convenient for overseas guest.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Hello alow,
Thank you for sharing your great review with us. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, including our excellent location and the service provided to you by my Team. These warming comments hold great value and I will definitely be sharing these with my entire team.
Please let me share with you that we provide shuttle bus transfer between our hotel to Sentosa island regularly every day. Please do check with our talents next time when you visit. We would be more than happy to assist you!

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

There are newer reviews for W Singapore Sentosa Cove

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here last week, and we were not impressed.

Maybe I have been so impressed with the W in Taipei and Bali, my standards and expectations have already been set to HIGH.

W Hotel is supposed to be vibrant, energetic and happening.
This felt like a Westin hotel with purple lights scattered throughout the hotel complex.

In other W Hotels, you would be greeted by energetic / motivated staff. Here, it felt like any other typical Singaporean hotel. Boring & conservative.

Check-in was a bit slow. Despite all counters being manned by staff, it still took 15-20 min to check-in.

When we entered our Fabulous Room - we were disappointed. It was very ordinary. Except for the purple lights, I wouldn't even know it was a W.
Bed was good, but the pillows were a bit too soft. No neck support.
The toilet seat area was also a little cramped. Reminded me of an airplane toilet.

Breakfast was packed.
We got there around 9am, and were disappointed that we were escorted to sit at the Kitchen bar counter, where we had to share a long table with about 10 other strangers.
We asked the female talent (ie. waitress) to move us as soon as another table opened up, and watched as she said OK then went on with her duties. We were not moved the entire breakfast. Poor follow-up / not bothering to do her job? I would love to complain & give the name, but she wasn't wearing any name tags that I could see (lucky for her, maybe that is why she didn't bother with giving any good service?).

We also noticed that the Kitchen Table breakfast staff seemed overwhelmed, and did not have a system with placing guests at the table. We came back once and found another couple had been seated at our seats. When we mentioned this to them, they got the staff to move them to another seat.

We paid good money to be seated at a crappy table during breakfast, and then we have to fight to keep our crappy seats? Wow.

I also saw a couple other guests also being seated at other people's tables, and then forced to move again. Where is the system? If there was a seating system, I couldn't see it.

Food was OK. The eggs benedict hollaindaise sauce was an epic failure, it tasted like vinager. I did not bother to complain because again, the staff looked overwhelmed.

The pool was nice and big, with fun "toys" and floating seats.

The gym was well equipped.
The spa was so-so.
The whirlpool was useless - barely any whirl to it.
The infra-red sauna was also useless. Stayed 10 min and didn't feel a difference.

The shuttle bus is also a joke. It is more like a large van. Please note that it only holds about 10-15 people. And there is only one bus running every 30-60 min, depending on the time/day.
We got there 20 min before the "bus" was scheduled to depart (around 2pm) and we could not get on the bus. We had to line up for the next bus, 30-60min later.

If you are unable to catch a bus, then you need to wait for a taxi. And there are not that many taxis around Sentosa Cove, as it is in a very exclusive and remote area of the island.

I wouldn't stay here again. What's the point? If I had wanted to stay at a Westin with purple lights, I would have booked a Westin hotel and brought my own purple flashlight.

Room Tip: The Away Suite doesn't look impressive, for what you pay. Unless they upgrade you for free, I wo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MacGrumpy
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Hello MacGrumpy,

Thank you for your comments and I am very sorry to learn about your experience.
Design is somewhat subjective, principles of what makes something attractive.
In regards to your comments of our talents, I have shared your comments with my team and department heads, I will follow up closely and make sure it will not happen again.

Look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I'm a Platinum member with the Starwood group. This was my first time at a W hotel, and I must admit, it was the best hospitality experience I've ever had. I stayed for nearly 2 weeks as part of a business trip. I wanted the seclusion away from the hustle and bustle of the CBD, and this location definitely offered that. Sentosa Cove is such a great neighbourhood, and still only a 15 minute taxi in the morning to the financial district. The staff at the hotel were incredible - some of whom became great friends of mine. My birthday rolled around and they organised celebrations and cake, and just made me feel like a part of the W family. I'd recommend this hotel for solo business travellers who want more of a laid back hotel feel, for families who want access to Sentosa Island, or for couples who want a nice getaway.

Room Tip: The Away Rooms
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Hello JoelN77,

Thank you for such a great review! I am very happy to see that we were able to provide you with a great experience. Thank you for also sharing the birthday celebration you had while staying with us. My team is well trained and I am so grateful that they were able to leave a lasting impression with you. I hope that we are able to welcome you back soon. Please reach out so that we may personally welcome you back.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Very chic but comfortable hotel. Interiors are modern and fresh while works of art abound it's almost a gallery! Great food, pool, gym. Lots of restaurants nearby. Staff are friendly. Rooms are spacious and bed oh so comfy! Location is outside the city for peace and quiet, but it's only a taxi ride away. Good for runners - plenty of spaces to run!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Mary D
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Hello Mary D,

Thank you for sharing your great review with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at W Singapore Sentosa Cove.

Your kind words on our team are greatly appreciated. I will certainly be sharing your comments with them. Thank you.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel itself is beautiful and the room spacious and is what you would come to expect from a W property. The staff was one of the friendliest and most helpful that I've ever come across. It's a W and you can expect the very best. However... the location of this property may not be the most ideal for some people. It is tucked in to the very eastern portion of Sentosa Island which itself is about a 20 min drive/MRT from the Central Business District. This makes the location very quiet and indeed idyllic but quite an inconvenience to get into the city where just about everything is. The closest MRT is at Vivocity Mall and you'll probably have to take a taxi from there to reach the hotel. Problem is, some of the taxi drivers either don't know where the W is and some even refused to take me into Sentosa Island (this makes sense since it's less densely populated and the driver would have a harder time finding a return fare). Not only that the queues for taxi at Vivocity are pretty ridiculous. I think the average wait time for a taxi is like 15 minutes. So in conclusion, if you love W properties, then you'll love the W at Sentosa Cove, but if you're planning to do a lot of things in the city, I would highly recommend you find a similar hotel closer to the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank melloyellowaz

Hello Melloyellowaz,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback following your stay with us at W Singapore Sentosa Cove. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry to hear our hotel location was not to your satisfaction. I would like to share with you that we have free shuttle bus service transfer between hotel and vivo city and orchard road (main shopping area) regularly.

I hope you will contact us when you visit W Singapore next so that my team can provide you with more information. Anything else, just ask!

Look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have been around Sentosa Cove a few times and was impressed by the facet of this hotel. the time came finally for me to try out this hotel that positioned itself to be unconventional and hip. Check in was fast with staff was warm and welcoming, never stingy with a smile. When I made my reservation, I mentioned that I wanted a high floor room. However at check in I was assigned a room on the 3rd level (the lobby is on the 2nd level), so that is hardly high floor for me. I gotten the staff to check if there are any higher floor rooms, and the staff found a room on the highest floor for us. I was delighted. We headed for the room after collecting our key card. The corridor of the hotel to our room was tastefully done, with chandeliers hanging along the corridor. The corridor was dark colored themed, but not to the sleazy extent. it looked chic and contemporary.

The door to the room was rather unique and unlike the conventional doors found in most hotels, certainly hip and fun. The room was large (we got a fabulous room) and came with a balcony. The Balcony overlooked the hug swimming pool and the sea afar. The balcony was large enough for 4 to 6 people standing, sitting around comfortably. There is a couch for 2 and a couple of chairs with a table meant for people to laze the day away or to hang out at night.

The design, fixtures in the room is well designed and fun to use. The bathroom is large, with a large tub and 2 cubicles. left is the walk in shower, with both rain shower and the regular shower head and the other cubicle is the toilet bowl. The 2 cubicles share the same door, which slides to the side that one is using, leaving the other cubicle exposed. The sink area is large and functional. There is a glass panel with sliding panels that can be opened to look into the room and the TV inside the room. There are speakers that taps from the TV inside the bathroom, certainly meant for people to watch TV while soaking in the tub. This is the first hotel that provides facial wash. Rather thoughtful gesture. And the toiletries provided are of high quality.

The room has a wardrobe, an armchair by the side of the bed and a king sized bed. The feature in the room is quite hip, with switch that has a few combinations of lighting themes to create certain mood. The minibar cabinet was uniquely designed. in fact the room fixtures are designed for one to hide stuffs that are not in use. There is even a box with chargers for most mobile phone connectors for charging of mobile phones. a rather thoughtful design. The bed was soft and comfortable and we certainly had a great night sleep on it. The overall design of the room is functional, fun and hip.

The centrepiece for the hotel gotta be the huge swimming pool. as we were getting towels for our dip in the pool, surprising the staff at the pool side not only asked for our room number, but our names as well. when i gave him my family name, he asked for my full name!! What condescending attitude!! I raised this issue up with the duty manager the next day and she was shocked to have learned of that. Nonetheless we did not want this to spoil our mood in enjoying the pool. There are some floats around in the pool that guests can use for a fun time in the pool. We headed for the AWAY spa and was told by the friendly staff there that the facilities such as the jacuzzi and the sauna is open to guests of the hotel for using. The facilities inside the AWAY spa is totally amazing and is rather high-tech. There are 2 pools, one is what they termed as a whirlpool and another larger pool with jacuzzi, a waterfall and whirlpool feature in it. There is also steam room and an infrared sauna. Absolutely enjoyable.

Guests will be spoilt for choice for breakfast at the Kitchen Table. As the kitchen table was rather full, the hotel opened up the Skirt Restaurant opposite it for guests as well. Breakfast was tasty and the choices of local food is plentiful. As i was getting food at the kitchen table, this server knocked onto my head with his huge tray. instead of apologizing, he looked at me and walked away as though it was my fault!! Another staff was equally rude at the kitchen table. as i was getting fruit, he tripped and fell onto me. instead of checking if i was alright, he was more concerned about his fall and the watermelon that someone dropped onto the floor and walked away without showing any concern to the customer! These are not the way the hotel should train the staff and had left very negative impression on me.

We hit the gym after breakfast. The under utilised gym was equipped with modern equipment and has the most of the machines that one would find in a regular gym. As we were the only ones there, it felt exclusive. as we were mesmerised by the facilities in the AWAY spa, we went to use the facilities as well as shower after our gym.

Overall the hotel as great hardware and software, except for a handful of staffs that did not act according to the belief that the hotel is set and certainly needs alot of training on the basics in the field of hospitality to be aligned with the positioning that the hotel is trying so hard to forge.

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces the pool and high floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Diviva
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Hello Divivia,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review. We are thrilled you are enjoying the room and the hotel itself!

I am sorry our talents did not give you good impression by the pool and in the kitchen table. I assure your feedback has been shared with the team in order to improve.

Look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We selected the W Singapore, as a short staycation, as we had family over from NZ and wanted to get away from the city, and didn't want the tackiness of the other themed resorts. This hotel was so refreshing to stay at that we only wish we stayed longer. The hotel was situated in Sentosa Cove, on the marina. It's on the other side, away from the main group of hotels, so not walking distance to the attractions, but a short cheap taxi or shuttle bus to Siloso or Universal.

The rooms were spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. The whimsical theme of gardens and flowers was carried through every aspect of the hotel, from the rooms, public areas, spa, restaurant and outdoor areas. It was so colourful and inviting. Our room had all the latest mod cons, in bathroom audio, and a well priced mini bar which included Veuve!

I loved the fresh modern twist on the room amenities, which I am not embarrassed to say, any soap or conditioner that wasn't used was quickly packed for my own personal use back home! You can also buy these products in the spa.

The food in the restaurants was delicious and prepared with passion. The staff very accommodating, friendly and well trained. The only negative, was breakfast buffet, which had an impressive selection available, however many of the "hot" options on offer, were actually cold. I.e. eggs benedict.

My sister in law and I treated ourselves to an Away Facial which was 90 minutes. Whilst I initially thought 90 minutes would be too long for a facial, I was not disappointed. One of the best facials I have ever had and as a resident in Singapore, its easy for me to go back, and I most certainly will. The spa has a couple of plunge pools and lounges for using post treatment but we didn't get around to enjoying it. The products are from the UK, Ily and are 100% organic. I don't typically buy products from spas as they are hideously expensive. I also like to see how my skin reacts to the treatments hours after and even the day later. But sure enough, I was impressed with the result and the price of the product that the next day before I checked out, I went grabbed myself a moisturizer. :)

We loved it and will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Ladyofleisureisles,

Thank you for the robust and extensive review! We welcome all of your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your opinions.

We are so proud to hear that the location, dining and service made such a strong impression on you. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again soon!

In regards to your comments about our breakfast, I have shared your comment with my team and our talents will be more careful to keep all the hot dishes in a good temperature for serving.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sentosa Island
Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
#10 of 13 in Sentosa Island
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#38 of 316 in Singapore

Been to W Singapore Sentosa Cove? Share your experiences!