“My first stay in a W Hotel”

W Singapore Sentosa Cove
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“My first stay in a W Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have never visited Singapore so when my mom requested to go to Singapore for her birthday I immediately said yes! I chose to stay at W Sentosa and I must say that we were really impressed with the decor of the rooms, lobby, restaurants and bar. Plus of course the staff! Everyone is very pleasant and helpful. Thanks a lot.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Hello Chouchou74_2000,

Thanks for such a great feedback, I'm glad to read you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Looking forward to welcome you again and again !

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Firstly, read my review of the Sheraton to know what sort of day we had prior to arriving at the W. I did not realise the W had opened until I read an article in the Singapore Airlines inflight magazine. We enjoy the W's having stayed at Barcelona, Bali and London many times previously. I arrived at the W agitated from my horrible experience at the Sheraton Singapore, and all i can say is that Joe @ checkin did everything and more you would expect from W "Talent". With 10 minutes I went from agitated to checking into a lovely room overlooking the pool (he even apologise for my experience at the sister property - which was more then the Sheraton did). We enjoyed the large swimming pool, a day spa treatment, the bar and a wonderful breakfast. Well done W. If i was to make adverse comment it is the issue over taxis and transport. The hotel offers a shuttle to the nearby mall but not back again (a circular shuttle service would be ideal), and has no hotel car to take you to the airport in case a taxi does not come or runs late (we waited 20 minutes beyond our booked taxi time to get to the airport). That being said if you have stayed at W hotels before you will understand they just get things right and have a different way of delivering a hotel experience that always leaves you satisfied. Well done and particular thanks the Joe...

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Elliotcaus,

What a wonderful feedback, you made Joe really feel special. I'm so sorry to learn about your experience at the Sheraton. Let me know next time you visit us and i will do my best to allocate a room with pool view!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

My family and I just returned from a 3D/2N stay at one of the newest hotels in Singapore.
It IS definitely one of the most modern and funkier hotels around! LED mood lights,a BOSE sound system with SUB!!Loads of cable tv channels,Large and comfy beds and everything one could wish for in a room!
The hotel is a short 5-minute drive away from Resort World/Universal studios and although there were a few f&b outlets in the hotel itself and at the marina,you really need motorized transport to go anywhere else!
During our stay,we only encountered 2 problems.One was the low water pressure in the bathroom.The hotel wasn't running at full occupancy but the low water pressure doesn't do justice to the rain-shower.it was more of a 'drizzle' !!
The second problem was with the car-park vouchers (we drove).Every car-park voucher the receptionist gave us didn't work and we were delayed at the exit every time we wanted to leave the hotel,as we had to intercom the car-park's personnel to open the barrier!
Check-in was fast and rooms were ready when we reached the hotel,but I would still rate the staff at the Trader's in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore much higher overall.A bowl of fresh fruits in the room upon arrival would have been appreciated too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hello peteMalaysia,

Thanks for your feedback,

Glad to see that you have enjoy your stay with your famile. Sorry to learn about the 2 incidents. I have shared your feedback with our Chief Engineer regarding the water pressure. We have also convey your comments to the car park operator and are currently working on a solution more convenient for our guests.

Looking forward to welcome you back very soon.

perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed 2 nights and was extremeley impressed with everything, food was first class, staff were friendly and always smiling, just the best.Free transport to Orchard rd daily, 11am and 1.45 pm and pick up at Orchard rd at 2.15pm and not sure about the later pick up , at a guess around 6pm.

Room Tip: I was on the sixth floor with no complaints, if anything choose a room not so close to elivator, tha...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at the W over 2012-2013 New Year's Eve.
The hotel is a photographer's dream. There are design elements everywhere, right down to the fixtures and accessories in the room. I particularly loved the way unconventional lighting is used to enhance the mood of the hotel at various locations (the restaurants, the lobby, even the walkways), and how you can choose different light settings in your room with a touch of a button. This is a trait that some other hotel chains are already trying to copy.
The swimming pool looks and feels like a dream. I would usually skip the pool/gym in the hotels I stayed in, but I am naturally drawn to this, like a moth to a flame, to take a dip and swim. Again, the ambience at night was stunning.
One of the major shortcomings, however, was the breakfast. Although the spread was varied and the location (Kitchen Table) was hip and funky, the quality was not up to par. Cold and quishy dim sum/fried noodles and olives in omelettes - a strange combination. A little disappointing in this regard. The pillows in the room were also just too soft and limp; they provided zero support for my neck and I had to stack 2-3 together to sleep properly.
Transportation support was found wanting too. While the hotel is nice enough to provide inter-city shuttles, the timings are limited to mostly daytime schedules and each shuttle capacity is limited to 12-15 pax (with rides only to RWS and VivoCity). I made the mistake of trying to get back to the mainland on New Year's Eve, and was rejected by the driver shrugging and saying, "Sorry, it's full" (one family had 5 kids occupying one seat each). Concierge was a little uncoordinated too, with miscomms regarding pre-booked vs. incoming taxis and priority queues. The hotel is remote as it is; if guests find it a hassle to get in and out it will quickly become boring and claustrophobic. I would suggest the hotel consider providing shuttles or have stops at the nearest transportation hub (Beach station) and Tanjong Beach so that guests would at least have R&R options beyond the confines of the hotel.
There is some variance in staff's treatment of guests as well. On our second day, we felt peckish and wanted to try some outside food, and asked the counter for recommendations of the nearest pizza places that can do delivery, and were given contacts to call. When the deliveries arrived, my room mate spent 10 minutes arguing with a W staff at the front lobby who insisted that outside food is not allowed into the hotel. This left a bad impression because not only were we talked down to (our food has arrived, we could not have thrown it away or consumed it elsewhere), different staff gave us different information that led to this conflict. Our package also includes a Welcome Drink. When we asked about this at the Woo Bar, we were told that it includes only 3 pre-selected drinks. This is different from the W Taipei, where we can select any drink from the menu (out favourite were the Mojitos). I wished the W chain would standardise such practices across their properties to reinforce the "Wow" experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I booked a room for 1 night on 2/1. I called at noon on 2/1 to ask if it is possible to have early check in. The lady who answered the phone ask me to wait for 2 mins, then she told me " Yes, it's will be no problem at all. "

But when I arrived the hotel at 14:00, the front desk told me : Sorry, your room is not ready. And they explain to me that they told me "Yes, you can have the early check in" means : You can check in at the front desk and leave your luggage here and wait till your room is ready.
This is the first time I heard about the definition of " early check in " and I think this kind of definition is for W Hotel Sentosa Cove ONLY. I told the people on the front desk said this is really new to me about " early check in" and they try their best to find a room for me, so I got my room at 14:28 ( I know this because this is the time printed on my receipt of credit card deposit ).

I get into my room around 14:35. Then I start to wait for my luggage. I wait for 1 hour and nobody made a call to me to explain why I have to wait that long. Finally the door bell ringed, but when I open the door, a staff looked surprised at me and said : Nothing, I just wanna make sure you already check in. I don't know why they need to send a person to make sure about this ? It's all on the record in your computer system and you can just confirm this with the front desk, right ???

So I wait for 1 hour and my luggage was still not here. I don't want to make a call to the front desk to ask about the reason because they should find out this issue and respond to me. And I don't want to spend a lot of time on the phone with them because I am in the bad mood and conversation might get ugly. So I use the online chat system of SPG website, the represensitive named " Eva C" who quickly forward my question to the W Hotel Sentosa and trying to find out why this could happen. Then after another 30 mins, my luggage finally showed up. They told me that because someone missed the luggage tag so they spend a lot of time to find the luggage.

I don't know if this is the real reason why I have to wait for 1.5 hours ( 90 minutes ) to get my luggage. But I think if they really can't find the luggage tag then why didn't they called me to inform me about this ? I mean they can just make a call to told me and ask me to identify which luggage belongs to me. And actually it's not hard to find my luggage because there is a big name tag on my luggage with all the information they can find.

The staff named Aaron brought me my luggage and explained to me it was because they missed the luggage tag and the information miss connection between front desk and luggage center. I don't want to argue with him because he attitude is really nice. And before he left my room he asked if there is anything he could do for me, I said : No, thank you. But after 3 mins, he showed up again and brought me a cake and apologized for the inconvenience again.

I stayed in the hotels under the Starwood group for many times, I loved their service and the friendly attitiude from their employees. And I recently decided to become their member and joined the membership in September 2012. I think although this membership is free for join but people whoever decide to become a member means we feel satisfied for this brand and want to show our support and loyalty for Starwood. But today, the W Singapore Sentosa Cove really made me disappoint for their service. The only reason I still put my rating on " Average " is because the staff Aaron. W Hotel Sentosa, you really should give Aaron a star or made him become the employee of the month, not because the small cake he brought to me but because of he is the only person who was trying to make your guest feel a bit better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hello bigvicSydney,

Thanks for your feedback,

I really appreciate the time you have taken to send me your feedback. I always consider feedback as a gift and the only way to imporve our services. I would to apologize regarding the incident with your luggage and i can assure you that immediate action will be taken to avoid any similar problem in the future. Our focus remain on training our talents (W lingo for employee). I have also asked to the concerned manager to meet his team and to go back to our Standards Operating Procedures with the welcome team.
I do hope you will give us a second chance to stay with us. Please feel free to contact me thru welcome.singapore@whotels.com

sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were lucky enough to spend a couple of days inthe new W on Sentosa Island.
One of the best designed hotels I have ever stayed in. with such a fresh approach to everything, especially in the dining and food areas. Fantastic staff and decoration , a beautiful pool area with oh-so-comfortable lounges. This is the place to stay. Quick to the CBD or shopping from here, cheap taxis or free shuttle.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#35 of 306 in Singapore
4.0 of 5 bubbles 21,066 reviews

Been to W Singapore Sentosa Cove? Share your experiences!